PPF Bubbling Above Fenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UCF-150

Reaction score
Those with PPF (XPEL Stealth Specifically), are you having any issues with bubbling over the fenders? I've had the 4 panels above the fenders wrapped twice now and it keeps bubbling like the attached photos. I don't know if the best method is to remove the fenders (have seen some on here do that) or just have it cut above the fender but then you can see the seam. Other thought is maybe it's just not a quality job but this shop came heavily recommended and they aren't giving any pushback working with me. Their commentary back to me is the fenders move slightly while driving and is causing the film to bunch up. This most recent time I was out of town for two weeks, and live in Florida, so it had plenty of time to sit before driving it.

IMG_6857.jpgIMG_6856.jpg

cscape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. This is good to know, I will be having mine wrapped in XPEL Stealth also. I know my installer typically takes the fender lights, mirrors, etc off the car. Ill have him remove the flares and wrap behind it enough to prevent it from bunching up like that.

LennyMoe

Reaction score
@UCF-150 Mine is doing that as well, but my installer warned me that it would likely happen due to the fenders moving around (as you said). The owner of the shop that did it also owns a Raptor and also has his wrapped - it happened to his as well, so he told me he would fix it, when/if it did happen. I just haven't had the time to bring my truck back to him.

@cscape My installer removed everything, door handles, fenders, tail lights, etc and it still happened on the fenders. Be prepared for it to happen and make sure your installer knows of the issue and will repair if needed.

@combatninja Most, if not all, good installers will definitely remove the flares. It's easy to do, and if they don't, that's a major red flag, IMO.

SkyPilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few videos about flare removal. Some use a tool wrapped with tape to not scratch the fender. Others just pull the bolts and start at one end and just pull it off working their way around. No tools. What works best?

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime you remove the flare there is risk of damaging the flares, paint or clips. I had to replace a couple clips but removed my flares myself. The Xpel will still start to roll up over time no matter what you do. Only real solution is to have a seam above the flare. Though mine are not as bad a the one in the pic above, but the entire fender is wrapped under the flare.

Morrisabm

Reaction score
Mine is wrapped below the flare. Never had an issue where you’ve experienced. I do have a bubble from a pin hole that a car wash exposed. It sounds like your vendor is doing a great job working with you.