GEN 2 Powertrain and Check Engine light 2017 39K Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhonatas88

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have already posted my problems and concerns on the New Member Check In Forum but I also want to post it here in order to get all the help I can and maybe help someone going through the same problems.

Thank you in advance.

I bought my truck new back in 2017 and it is about to hit 40K miles.
I love my truck and have had very little problems with it until now.
Beginning of February I noticed a small amount of oil pooling on the left valve cover and brought it over to my local dealership on February 13th and I got the truck back on February 20th, "Found TSB 20-2315 pertains to this concern. Replaced all four phasers, reprogrammed PCM and rechecked with no further concerns."
On the same day I noticed oil pooling on the same spot and contacted the dealership about it, they looked over the problem and told me it was only residual oil not cleaned by the tech. About a month later I noticed more oil pooling on the same spot, brought it to the dealership on March 20th and I got the truck back on March 30th, "Replaced valve cover (part came with new gaskets and seals installed), and rechecked with no further concerns.".
On April 3rd, the truck was parked and running after a wash as I was drying it. When I got back into the truck the christmas lights were on (Power train Malfunction/Reduced Power), (Antilock Brake Fault), (Service Steering), (Pre-Collision Assist Not Available), (Park Aid Malfunction), (Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning) and many more, I also have no steering, no GPS, no 911 assistance, none of the buttons on the steering wheel work, no 4x4. Honestly too many to list.

OP
OP
Jhonatas88

Jhonatas88

Reaction score
I got my truck back after being at the dealership from April 5th to April 15th.

"39383 verified customers complaint scanned for codes vehicle had 87
codes cleared codes and and 7 came back for lost communication with hs2
can. modules on that circuit are gwm hud, ipmb, tbm, pscm,
ocsm, rem, abs, and sccm checeked history for any repairs done recent
found that vehicle had vct replaced perforemd visual inspection of
harness that would of been removed when the repair was down harness was
ok. performed network test and all modules that are listed on hs2 can
failed. checked fuses f15 and f12 in bjb .and fuses are all ok. looking
at the wiring diagram for that networked picked the module that was the
farthest away from the gwm which is the abs and checked for resistance.
with my volt meter checked for
26 to pin 14 in the abs connector and had 12o
decide to do
separately load test c135-26 to gwm c2431 pin18 passed then load test
c135-14 to c2431 -17 and passed which tells me that the circuit in
question is good. i then went and hooked up my breakout box the the gwm
and checked for resistance and reading was 160ohm which is high when
unplugged gwm and ohmed out connector c2431 pin 17 and 18 ohm out at
120 which is good replaced the gateway module and programmed. cleared
codes and took vehicle for multiple road test to verify repair vehicle
is ok at this time"

OP
OP
Jhonatas88

Jhonatas88

Reaction score
Just a few hours after getting the truck back on April 15th the Powertrain light and Check Engine light came back ON and the truck would not go over 4000 RPM, dropped it off at the dealership yesterday morning April 16th.

OP
OP
Jhonatas88

Jhonatas88

Reaction score
Update: The dealership is working with Ford to solve the issues with my truck but no luck so far, since I posted last they have checked for grounds with bad connection, replaced the bypass turbo cooler, checked and opened up some specific circuits in the engine harness to see if they are getting the correct OHM's readings and now they are going to replace the wastegate actuators.

I hate so say this but I have lost faith in my truck after being at the dealership for 47 days and they can't figure out what is wrong with it. I will be looking into what my legal options are if I have any legal rights to begin with.

Let me know if you guys know anything about buyback or lemon law.

Thank you.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update: The dealership is working with Ford to solve the issues with my truck but no luck so far, since I posted last they have checked for grounds with bad connection, replaced the bypass turbo cooler, checked and opened up some specific circuits in the engine harness to see if they are getting the correct OHM's readings and now they are going to replace the wastegate actuators.

I hate so say this but I have lost faith in my truck after being at the dealership for 47 days and they can't figure out what is wrong with it. I will be looking into what my legal options are if I have any legal rights to begin with.

Let me know if you guys know anything about buyback or lemon law.

Thank you.
If you’re at 40k miles you’re out of B2B warranty; LL only applies to vehicles under warranty.

The technician notes you posted clearly indicate he/she does not know what they are doing. The tech claims he did a network test and found that HS2-CAN was down. The first thing he should have done is performed the corresponding pinpoint test. Measuring resistance between a random module and the gateway will not diagnose the cause of the bus being down. Not only that, but he claims to have load tested the network circuits. Network circuits should never be load tested, they don’t carry a load in the first place. All he did was unplug and replace the GWM which clearly did not solve the issue.

With that level of incompetence I highly suggest going to a different dealer and/or getting a Ford field engineer involved. If you call Ford Customer Care they can assist with getting an engineer out to the dealer to get the truck repaired.

OP
OP
Jhonatas88

Jhonatas88

Reaction score
The truck has 39,543 miles, so I am guessing I do qualify for the lemon law but I honestly don't really know much about it.
I am going to wait to hear from the dealership on how the replacement of the wastegate actuators goes and after that I will contact Ford customer service and bring the truck to a different dealership.
Thank you for the help @FordTechOne and everyone else who is trying to help me. I am tired of driving the ecosport.