Powered Tailgate Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AutoXRacer

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any pieces of plastic or anything but every time I close the tailgate there is a loud click. Is it possibly "normal" for this power tailgate? Coming from a 2019 F350 that was 100% manual and no loud clicking when closing.
Yes, the loud click as it closes are the latches engaging. That's completely normal and expected.

Xtra_Napkins

Reaction score
2022 37pp. I have the exact same issue. Loud click or snapping sound about 5-6 inches before fullying closing. i have an appointment with dealer to check out.

@AutoXRacer - The loud click/snap OP is referring to occurs before the tailgate closes and is not occuring from the latches. it almost sounds like a twist spring snapping against the interior paneling of the tailgate and only when the tailgate is closing and is about 5-6 inches from closing. does not occur when opening tailgate.

Crool88

Reaction score
I use the tailgate step a lot. There is a piece of plastic on the step that my shoe catches on and it separates from the step a bit. Happens all the time. If I dont snap it back in place, it creates a raised edge that will contact my bed cover.

FF36522B-7E6D-4776-B1A2-1E14B84B4453.jpegF9FD2B88-85A8-44ED-8A41-B07F5273C016.jpeg

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO 5hit, Sherlock. Thanks for clearing that up. My comments still stand. Actually, there is less than zero excuse for needing it to power close. I can maybe see a tiny justification for power opening. But not really. Prats that want a power tailgate are the reason Raptors cost $75,000. Idiots.
you do know there are people who own these that are getting up there in age and have hard time lifting things for medical or physical reasons. I.E. handicapped and these tailgate are heavy for them. Just because you dont feel the need to have one there are others who need them. Good thing the gen 3 tailgate IMO is lighter than the gen 2's but none the less some people need them.

Mine does have a snapping noise but its the plastic step part itself when I first step on it. Hope the OP gets it straightened out. might be an isolated issue. Hope you get the dealer to take care of it for you.

Last edited:

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Karmas a B I t c h. but in all seriousness. hope you never experience something that makes the power tailgate a must. I know somebody that does and its a godsend for his work and a pickup is all he can use. has nothing to do with age sometimes.

have a nice life.

back to topic at hand.

Last edited:

KOK JR

Reaction score
Some of us 70 plus old dudes can still ride our Harleys all over the country with our significant other and our luggage on 3000 mile trips. And drive our old Gen 2s off road. And drive our C8 Corvettes to Bowling Green for track day.
Good luck to you when you pass 70, if you can.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, cool. Old dudes with pickups make about as much sense as guys 70+ on motorcycles. Give it up, Gramps.
Wow, if that's not about the most ignorant thing I've read today!
Guess I'll hurry up and sell my Ducati today, I apparently have no business owning one.

OP
OP
AutoXRacer

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, if that's not about the most ignorant thing I've read today!
Guess I'll hurry up and sell my Ducati today, I apparently have no business owning one.
Ooh... Ducati? What model and year?
I have a 16 XDiavel...

Used to ride every weekend when i lived in WA State until I moved to FL.... have barely ridden it. Straight roads south no scenery doesn't really motivate me to ride. Sigh