GEN 1 Power tuners, what ones are the best & worst??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It is the best I've tried for a single tune to do it all. It's good power (especially higher in the rpm's compared to stock) but well mannered with good shift points. You can have an extra tune for $100 more if you have more specific needs. I actually haven't used it in ORM but it works seamlessly with tow haul when I tried it, but I wasn't towing. I don't have any experience with Livernois either so I can't compare theirs.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went with JDM a few months ago and it's perfect IMO. Good drivability, good power gains, good shift points and good throttle response. And it uses the SCT tuner so logs are easy. @Big Blue has this tune as well if I remember right. Maybe he can chime in with his thoughts on it.

Comparatively I've ridden in 5 star trucks that didn't drive well IMO. Either too aggressive or too mild. I had the SVC tune many moons ago which was pretty good but I didn't like the shift points.

I did just recently install the JDM tune/CAI kit and am very happy with it right out of the box, a vast improvement over the OEM throttle response and gear shifts. I also had a 5-star tune on my original Gen 1 and was also happy with that although they did need to tweak the gear shifts for me 2 or 3 times to get it to my liking. I liked how JDM reached out to me to go over the tune and discuss what mods I had and if I wanted any tweaks. I am running 37s, so they incorporated that into my tune so my speedo is correct.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info Big Blue and Pacific Wheel. That JDM is a good one. So it sounds like I should first do my cat back exhaust, BBK TB (maybe?) and CAI before they setup the tune, right?

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
@FishFreak yeah, I'd get all your mods first and they'll get you the tune that goes with them. Idk if the TB's do much on NA trucks. Also you could call JDM and talk to them about it. They have tuned a ton of Raptors. They'd know much better than me.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@FishFreak Don’t bother with an aftermarket throttle body. You’d just be setting yourself up for check engine lights and idle issues due to the cheap drive by wire components.

Count me as a fan of JDM as well. I’m running their Whipple 700 package and it drives great.

Last edited:

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got 5 star 93 performances tune currently, does anyone know if JDM offers any kicker for swapping from 5 star to JDM? Kicker as in discount or anything with proof of current tunes. I have 87 street and 93 performance currently from 5 star. I get some hard shift points occasionally if I get on it. In fairness I haven't asked 5 star to look at this or do any data logs or anything.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
JDM doesn’t offer any “conquest”-style discounts for coming from a competing vendor as far as I know, but you can always email or call them and ask. They are usually pretty quick to respond.

Last edited: