Power train malfunction/Reduced Power/Malfunction Lamp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daxton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
‘18 and 5500 miles.
This happened last night:
Left work 2 miles to highway all was fine. Entered highway up to about 55mph when it sounded and felt like either the tranny dropped to ground or transfer case dropped. Engine revved up and stuck in 5th gear. Let off gas and it upshifted to 9th gear skipping all in between. I then slowed down to stop and check all out underneath etc. Gear select lights went from 9 to 5 to 1. No leaks, nothing missing I could see. Would not shift into reverse and only to Drive. I slowly proceeded forward and a really hard shift from 1 skipping all to 5 and as I accelerated slowly it then skipped to 9.

I made it to dealer at closing time to get a loaner. Will know nothing till Monday. Ford App lit up and had 2 faults which also appeared on the instrument panel.

Any ideas on what the issue may be outside of total Transmission issue?
Truck was built 3/29/18.

65df1b47199c09673022d745e906b57b.jpg1b68fdf85126b80fddbbfd213ce87039.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Daxton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trucks been in for a week and not plugged into yet but tech thinks it might be the output speed sensor.

OP
OP
D

Daxton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 weeks complete. Valve body replaced and no change. Ford has directed them to drop the transmission.
I contacted Ford, received a case number and a region service manager. He contacted me and said he will guide it through the process.
I told him I’m ready for a buy back.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of Gen 2 trucks are being bought back by Ford lately. What's up with that?

Ten speed not ready for prime time? Bad T-case design? Oiling issues with the 3.5? Just defective parts making themselves known as ususal on new vehicles, and it's no worse than it always has been?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
you only hear about the problems, so it’s easy to ignore the 17,000 other Gen2 that haven’t had a problem today.

aalonso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of Gen 2 trucks are being bought back by Ford lately. What's up with that?

Ten speed not ready for prime time? Bad T-case design? Oiling issues with the 3.5? Just defective parts making themselves known as ususal on new vehicles, and it's no worse than it always has been?

Don’t believe the hype!! A lot of these horror stories have to do with crappy dealerships with “much to be desired” service departments which lack experienced trained technicians... our trucks are no different than any other vehicles.. powertrain designs are in par with any other vehicles which are built with the same quality or better..

Even so called luxury brands such as BMW, Mercedes and Land Rover ir Range Rover have similar problems!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We're well over 50k Gen 2 Raptors on the road, so a handful of buybacks are to be expected. My wife's brand new '19 MINI (200 miles) has been in the shop all week waiting for a faulty sensor to be replaced. Shit happens. My '17 Raptor is pushing 19k miles and has been to the dealership exactly once, and that was for an oil change and tire rotation. I feel bad for the Raptor owners who are having problems, but they are definitely in the minority.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don’t believe the hype!! A lot of these horror stories have to do with crappy dealerships with “much to be desired” service departments which lack experienced trained technicians... our trucks are no different than any other vehicles.. powertrain designs are in par with any other vehicles which are built with the same quality or better..

Even so called luxury brands such as BMW, Mercedes and Land Rover ir Range Rover have similar problems!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have to agree with you here. My Raptor is heavily modified and have had only a couple of very small issues. In comparison to my wife's Maserati that seem to makes it's quarterly trips to the dealership for service for various issues.

OP
OP
D

Daxton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tech working on my truck just called me, flashed the tranny, no change, valve body-no change, dropped the tranny today and can’t find a thing wrong with it. Looks perfect. He is perplexed. I asked him to look at transfer case. He will look further tomorrow.

He asked asked about the wires for my fogs and if it started doing this after the install. I said NO that was done first month I had truck and this is 5 months in! Wtf. He didn’t force the ask but I told him that was on all raptors- hot upfitter switch wires.

Just sharing all this in case it helps anyone else in the future.

Any new ideas besides the one I already know .... a different dealer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free