Power tailgate and Bedliner Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a warning to those with the power tailgate and getting aftermarket Bedliner installed. Unlike the Ford factory liner, aftermarket companies (LineX in my case) spray so that it wraps around the back edge of the bed and all the way to the edges of the tailgate. The issue is that the gap between the tailgate and bed is pretty tight when closed. The liner actually causes the 2 points to touch and the power tailgate thinks it’s binding/closing on something and will not latch or go back down.

Maybe it’s a bad installer issue or maybe there is a range of tolerances from truck to truck that causes the issue for those with tighter gaps. Quick google search shows other F150 owners reporting same thing. The fix was to remove the liner from the tailgate and reapply only 3 coats, normal is 6 I’m told. Tailgate works as designed now. Truck is getting some other things take care of but I can get some pictures when I get it back.

Last edited:

IERAPTOR

Reaction score
I am in the business and can tell you this varies by individual sprayers and application. You should not have this issue with a experience shop and sprayer.

OP
OP
J

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the business and can tell you this varies by individual sprayers and application. You should not have this issue with a experience shop and sprayer.
Ya, I’m sure that contributed to it. They did a good job visually of spraying, but maybe too thick? It’s also a problem you would never notice closing it normally. Maybe my truck was already on the smaller side of the gap range? Either way, I figured it’s something to be aware of for the guys with power tailgates since I did find other reports of the same issue.