Power supply for tablet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I'm going to add a mount for a Surface Pro tablet. I would like to run the power cord into the dash instead of having wires hanging everywhere.

I found this and would be curious if I would need to keep the end with the male cigarette end. I don't know jack about electronic power supply stuff, so be gentle. I have read that the tablet will regulate how much juice it takes in, so wondering if just adding a fuse and splicing wires to the dash cigarette receptacle might work. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q7VHRF8/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Asinine

Reaction score
I’ve tackled similar issues a couple ways:

1. Disassemble the male connector and wire the ends to a power source.
2. Buy a female 12v socket and wire that to a power source.

With this adapter, I’d be inclined to go option 2 because the adapter regulates the power to the laptop, so I wouldn’t want to pull apart the adapter. A fuse tap off the fuse box is an easy way to get power without splicing and the taps are cheap. Run a wire from tap to socket and you’re good to go.

OP
OP
GCATX

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Thx. I ended up buying an 8" Samsung tablet. My extra surface tablets, a 12" and a 10", were too big and unwieldy to mount above the Sync screen. I may put a USB port on top of the dash at some point.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to add a mount for a Surface Pro tablet. I would like to run the power cord into the dash instead of having wires hanging everywhere.

I found this and would be curious if I would need to keep the end with the male cigarette end. I don't know jack about electronic power supply stuff, so be gentle. I have read that the tablet will regulate how much juice it takes in, so wondering if just adding a fuse and splicing wires to the dash cigarette receptacle might work. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q7VHRF8/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

if you're trying to hide the cables entirely, I can think of three options. On all of them, you can drill a hole in the back side of the upper tray, and run power through the dash...and an audio cable if you can get that to work with the sound system.

1 - connect power to the USB outlet in the center dash drawer (whatever it's called). That's might be difficult to get to, but you wouldn't have to any real electrical work.

2 - connect to the cig lighter in center console. You probably would need to take the console apart, but again, no electrical splicing required.

3 - Connect to the upfitter switches. This would be the cleanest, but you're going to splice the USB wiring. Probably some info on the net on how to do that, but might be more than you'd want to mess with, especially if you don't mind using one of the existing outlets.

Cole12582

Reaction score
Thx. I ended up buying an 8" Samsung tablet. My extra surface tablets, a 12" and a 10", were too big and unwieldy to mount above the Sync screen. I may put a USB port on top of the dash at some point.

Good call!! Would like to see pics if possible.

OP
OP
GCATX

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I will probably trim down the tabs that hold the tablet. Tablet was on sale for $129 at Best Buy. Got the mount off Amazon, $44.99. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079TGWRNR/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

1 note, the audio, when played through the sync 3, is a second behind the video, due to the bluetooth. Minor annoyance. Maybe there is a way to build in a delay for video, who knows. I may also try an FM transmitter down the road and connect it to the headphone jack on the tablet.

Capture.JPG