Power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaptainKam

Reaction score
A while back I put too much into my power steering pump and caused it to fail. It has been replaced but still makes a really loud whining noise. Any advice on what it could possibly be? I changed the PS fluid and ran it through a bunch if times but the noise still persists. Thanks for reading

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A while back I put too much into my power steering pump and caused it to fail. It has been replaced but still makes a really loud whining noise. Any advice on what it could possibly be? I changed the PS fluid and ran it through a bunch if times but the noise still persists. Thanks for reading

Power steering whine is caused by a faulty pump or air being induced into the system. Was the replacement pump a rebuild or a new?

When the pump is replaced, the pressure line-to-pump should also be replaced. Ford Workshop Manual also requires replacement of the pressure line-to-pump retaining bolt.

If the o-ring was replaced, you may have an seal leak that is causing the fluid to become aerated. Use a spray bottle full of water and spray various connections at the pump, reservoir, and rack. If you hear a "snapping" type noise, air is being drawn in at that location and the affected area/seal will require repair.

OP
OP
KaptainKam

KaptainKam

Reaction score
Power steering whine is caused by a faulty pump or air being induced into the system. Was the replacement pump a rebuild or a new?

When the pump is replaced, the pressure line-to-pump should also be replaced. Ford Workshop Manual also requires replacement of the pressure line-to-pump retaining bolt.

If the o-ring was replaced, you may have an seal leak that is causing the fluid to become aerated. Use a spray bottle full of water and spray various connections at the pump, reservoir, and rack. If you hear a "snapping" type noise, air is being drawn in at that location and the affected area/seal will require repair.

Thank you, I really appreciate the help on this. I have got another pump through the company's warranty program and I will definitely check these things you told me to look at

tales_from_the_crimp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn’t want to make a new thread so I’m bumping one of the more recent threads on this topic

I have a 2013 SCAB. 67k miles. 3 days ago my power steering pump started to make a lot more noise than it ever has. I checked the reservoir and it was low and black so I added some full synthetic ATF and Lucas power steering oil. The noise went away immediately and the steering is much improved.

I plan on doing a flush of the entire liquid since it was dark and I will try and make that a scheduled maintenance regimen moving forward

D

Deleted member 12951

I plan on doing a flush of the entire liquid since it was dark and I will try and make that a scheduled maintenance regimen moving forward

Every oil change at 5k miles, I suck out all the fluid from the reservoir and fill with new. Sooner intervals if off-roading