GEN 1 Power Steering pressure pushing hose off cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pitt1al

Reaction score
I have had this happen a few times times now. I will be driving to or from work, 55mph and about a 15 minute drive almost all highway miles. I accelerate slowly, Im not letting the RPMs get high at all. I will suddenly lose power steering and when i get out and check the hose going into the cooler by the radiator is pushed off and all my PS fluid has pumped out. It has a spring loaded clamp. It is the bottom of the 2 hoses that go to the cooler right by the radiator fill area.

I have also had a few instances where I have opened the PS reservoir and it was pressurized and made a slight popping noise when i unscrewed the cap.

In all instances I just hook the hose back on and add fluid and then I am good again for anywhere from 1 to 6 months.

The power steering pump is only about a year old. I have not done any off roading.

Any ideas?

2013 with the 6.2L. Mostly stock.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the hose needs to be replaced, its probably swollen and doesnt fit anymore. you could try a worm clamp but those spring clamps are garbage..

OP
OP
P

Pitt1al

Reaction score
the hose needs to be replaced, its probably swollen and doesnt fit anymore. you could try a worm clamp but those spring clamps are garbage..
Is it normal for there to be that much pressure on this side of the power steering? I was under the impression there shouldnt be much pressure at all in the cooler.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doesnt matter, its still pressure. it blows out quickly regardless of which hose. its happened to me a few times during my power steering debacle but new clamps or new hose clamps will solve your problem. wouldnt hurt to replace your hoses either

OP
OP
P

Pitt1al

Reaction score
doesnt matter, its still pressure. it blows out quickly regardless of which hose. its happened to me a few times during my power steering debacle but new clamps or new hose clamps will solve your problem. wouldnt hurt to replace your hoses either
Roger that. Thank you. I will swap them out today.

HighHP

Reaction score
Those are the PS return lines and have minimal pressure, a couple PSI. The spring clamps should not come off with normal pressure. I would be more concerned about the system being under pressure as you mentioned when removing the cap. The caps usually have a small vent hole in the top of the cap somewhere to relieve pressure. Some even have a small filter in the vent hole to filter dirt from getting into the system. If the vent were to plug, the system would increase pressure as the temperature rises. As you drive, the temp rises, the pressure rises, the hose becomes more pliable and pushes off at the connection. I would try replacing the cap, maybe the vent is plugged.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As mentioned, there shouldn’t be enough pressure on the return side of the system to blow clamped hoses off. The filter is integrated into the reservoir, if that is restricted there may be excessive pressure on the return side. Another possibility is the rack is failing and allowing high pressure fluid to reach the return side.