Power steering issues fixed cheap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a core for the cast iron one year PS pump. My stock one went 188,000 miles.

I think a rebuilt iron pump and the above is the most bang for buck.

I went lee but someone crashing into my tire finally took out the original.

OP
OP
II Sevv

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m still on the stock pump at 160k miles, and am still using the stock reservoir. I’ve done like 3 Baja trips, 37’s, lots of steering lock and 4wd prerunning and no issues after installing the cooler.

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m still on the stock pump at 160k miles, and am still using the stock reservoir. I’ve done like 3 Baja trips, 37’s, lots of steering lock and 4wd prerunning and no issues after installing the cooler.

i had the stock res but also put in a big cooler.

The Lee kit IS worth it. Always clean, cool and the same steering feel. From -40F to 120F. Lee is bulletproof while OEM is hey I kept it from sh&ting the bed.

OP
OP
II Sevv

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The Lee kit IS worth it. Always clean, cool and the same steering feel. From -40F to 120F. Lee is bulletproof while OEM is hey I kept it from sh&ting the bed.
I get that but I haven’t needed it. I could see if it’s a dedicated prerunner on 40’s why you might want it, but I’ve had no issues with my stock pump. The cooler was $29 and I’ve chased full long travel trucks hammering on the steering and have had no reason to upgrade

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah l, I’m getting ready to order the one from GJ Motorsports
Is this the one from GJ?

Good lookin' kit, and nice big cooler too. Worth the $100? My 2014 Raptor with 130k, stock ps pump is making that whine, esp in the morning, and in the past when a ps pump makes this noise it's low on oil or 'she's about to blow' :-D !!

If any of you can post the kit links you've used, Lee, Hayden, etc., I'd appreciate it! This is such a simple fix if it works?

Should we also flush the fluid and change the reservoir while we're at it? FordTechOne mentioned the filter is in the reservoir, so there's that too right?

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What big cooler did you use Blue? When you say 'Lee kit is worth it', do you mean that $1,500 full ps rebuild kit or a cooler from them?

Noticed this on the Lee site:
"FLUID RECOMMENDATION
It is HIGHLY recommended to use our specialty formulated Lee Power Steering Fluid.
AC Delco or Valvoline non synthetic power steering fluid will work as a second choice but do not have the same Wear and Anti-Foaming additives our fluid has.
DO NOT USE ATF OR ANY TYPE OF SYNTHETIC FLUID."

Anyone agree?

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Is this the one from GJ?

Good lookin' kit, and nice big cooler too. Worth the $100? My 2014 Raptor with 130k, stock ps pump is making that whine, esp in the morning, and in the past when a ps pump makes this noise it's low on oil or 'she's about to blow' :-D !!

If any of you can post the kit links you've used, Lee, Hayden, etc., I'd appreciate it! This is such a simple fix if it works?

Should we also flush the fluid and change the reservoir while we're at it? FordTechOne mentioned the filter is in the reservoir, so there's that too right?

Yeah i have the gj and it works well. No whine or that buzz feeling in steering wheel. Still need to do another change since i didnt do a complete flush change. Everything else is oem.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the one from GJ?

Yes that is the same one that GJ sells, OFf road alliance just sells it too. I picked up the kartek resivor (https://www.kartek.com/parts/kartek...ir-with-filter-and-pressure-relief-valve.html) same damn thing from GJ except minus the mounting bracket and cheaper. it’s pretty massive and seems that it would cool MUCH better. It’s slow moving for me installing it. Have a 3 month old right now. I plan on flushing the PS fluid aswell. Haven’t decided on the fluid

tomas181

Reaction score
Hi, could
The stock upper hose isn’t long enough so I extended it, but the stock lower hose reaches.
Hi! Thanks for the interesting info in this thread!
I’m wondering if you’re using the cooler in addition of the stock cooler or just uses the amazon one and left the stock in only for the AC system.
My cooler leaks and I would prefer to add another one instead of fixing the oem one.