Power steering issues fixed cheap!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Raptor with 130k miles on the stock power steering pump. I bought it with 112k miles and changed the fluid a few thousand miles after buying it as it was very burnt and I was getting steering shudder. Changed the fluid with oem fluid, then two days of street driving later the vibration comes right back. I beat the hell out of my truck off-road, and the vibration only got worse with 2 off-road trips. Not wanting to spend $1500 on a Howe pump and reservoir, I bought a $30 name brand power steering cooler from Amazon and spliced it into my stock reservoir tubing. I replaced a quart of fluid in the system and took the truck off-roading the next day. 37’s, 4wd engaged the entire time, and a consistent 60 mph through sand washes with aggressive steering lock and I didn’t have a sound from the power steering pump, and haven’t had one since. Before jumping to buy expensive parts just because “xyz” company that makes it says you need to, explore other options...I do plan on buying a better reservoir as well once it’s in the budget, but for now the cooler has fixed all of my problems.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I do several off-road events every year and I run a OEM P/S unit with a RPG PS Fluid reservoir, external cooler and I run Royal Purple Synthetic PS Fluid. I have 91k now on my current setup and I have had zero issues with the P/S pump. (I replaced my 1st P/S unit at 33k...) I still have the original OEM steering rack with 124k on it with no problems or leaks as well...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Raptor with 130k miles on the stock power steering pump. I bought it with 112k miles and changed the fluid a few thousand miles after buying it as it was very burnt and I was getting steering shudder. Changed the fluid with oem fluid, then two days of street driving later the vibration comes right back. I beat the hell out of my truck off-road, and the vibration only got worse with 2 off-road trips. Not wanting to spend $1500 on a Howe pump and reservoir, I bought a $30 name brand power steering cooler from Amazon and spliced it into my stock reservoir tubing. I replaced a quart of fluid in the system and took the truck off-roading the next day. 37’s, 4wd engaged the entire time, and a consistent 60 mph through sand washes with aggressive steering lock and I didn’t have a sound from the power steering pump, and haven’t had one since. Before jumping to buy expensive parts just because “xyz” company that makes it says you need to, explore other options...I do plan on buying a better reservoir as well once it’s in the budget, but for now the cooler has fixed all of my problems.
Can you attach the links for the amazon cooler and what the setup looks like? Down one pump from last summer and want to preserve this current one the same way you did haha

bubbarob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to do this, or upgrade the reservoir at least. Have some of the whining first thing in the morning, but replaced the fluid a couple days ago so hoping that will help in the meantime.

OP
OP
II Sevv

II Sevv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking to do this, or upgrade the reservoir at least. Have some of the whining first thing in the morning, but replaced the fluid a couple days ago so hoping that will help in the meantime.
I have the stock reservoir and have had no issues. My fluid has a ton of off-road miles and 3 Baja trips and no issues with burning or pump whining with the cooler alone. Unless you’re absolutely driving the **** out of the truck I wouldn’t spend the hundreds of dollars on a reservoir.