Power steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chinmasterflex

Reaction score
I have a HOWE power steering pump and have attached pictures. The Rack did go out at 180,000 miles and I am swapping it out now for new rack
In your experience, do you feel confident that with this setup you could do a donut without having to repair things?
How many miles have you had this on for and how do you drive when off-road? Frequent countersteer?

I'm currently either looking into getting this, the Lee setup, or yet another stock pump.

Last edited:

Pk64f100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased truck 3 weeks ago and I have NOT been off road yet. The pump starting making noise a couple of days after buying and I believe was an issue when I purchased. I wish I could have looked over better but my back was thrown out at the time and I did the best I could physically looking over everything

The truck drove straight as an arrow and did not pull to any side when I bout truck I could take my hands off the wheel and would drive straight for as long as the road was straight. It really ran nice. It starting whining so I had them look at it local ford dealer. They said that they would only recommend installing new Ford parts only meaning replacing Howe set up and new R&P So I went back to original ford dealer I purchased truck from and they have it going on 3 weeks. They said it was fixed 1 1/2 weeks ago so I went to pick up and the steering wheel was cocked to right 1” and pulled right badly, when I turned wheel to left it made horrible noises kind of grinding / binding up noises. The salesman said it was normal and needed to bleed out. I told him whomever the mechanic was who told him that the truck was fixed lied to him. I am waiting for Koons Ford if Annapolis to make this right and getting very pissed if they have not repaired it correctly. Thus sucks!!!

D

Deleted member 17706

I just purchased truck 3 weeks ago and I have NOT been off road yet. The pump starting making noise a couple of days after buying and I believe was an issue when I purchased. I wish I could have looked over better but my back was thrown out at the time and I did the best I could physically looking over everything

The truck drove straight as an arrow and did not pull to any side when I bout truck I could take my hands off the wheel and would drive straight for as long as the road was straight. It really ran nice. It starting whining so I had them look at it local ford dealer. They said that they would only recommend installing new Ford parts only meaning replacing Howe set up and new R&P So I went back to original ford dealer I purchased truck from and they have it going on 3 weeks. They said it was fixed 1 1/2 weeks ago so I went to pick up and the steering wheel was cocked to right 1” and pulled right badly, when I turned wheel to left it made horrible noises kind of grinding / binding up noises. The salesman said it was normal and needed to bleed out. I told him whomever the mechanic was who told him that the truck was fixed lied to him. I am waiting for Koons Ford if Annapolis to make this right and getting very pissed if they have not repaired it correctly. Thus sucks!!!

The HOWE system is known for making noises. That is part of having one. In other words, Ford isn’t going to be able to fix the noise. If you have race truck parts on your truck, then you can expect to have abnormal noises.

That is why I am running the GJ Motorsports PS system. There is no noise and my fluid is still cherry red—even with 37s.

gtxracer

Reaction score
The HOWE system is known for making noises. That is part of having one. In other words, Ford isn’t going to be able to fix the noise. If you have race truck parts on your truck, then you can expect to have abnormal noises.

That is why I am running the GJ Motorsports PS system. There is no noise and my fluid is still cherry red—even with 37s.

Eh, somewhat. My Jeep has a ton of racecar parts on it and some things make noise. But the pumps and pieces used in Howe's kit aren't really supposed to make noises. Most Raptor setups don't need a trophy truck pump and the noise you're hearing is all the fluid bypassing back to the reservoir. There's absolutely no need for that much flow. We're talking 9-12 gpm here at 1500psi or near that depending on Howe sets the flow. WAY too much.

For reference, I run a PSC 2.25x8" ram with 1.125" rod on my Jeep. It's double ended and the flow is controlled by a Sweet servo valve that's inline with a steering box that's had the hydraulics disabled. I have opened up the ports and made a few mods for flow. I am still run AN6 lines to the ram and have good steering speed. I was using a TC pump that's around 4.5 GPM but that's at 5000 rpm. At idle, it wouldn't steer quickly. I had to go to a Lee power steering CB pump that's about 5 gpm but at lower rpm. At idle it's pushing around 3 gpm which is much better. Even with all these "racecar" parts, there's still no need to have a trophy truck pump. Howe pushes that pump on everyone and it's not needed. I've known quite a few race teams that have had that pump on their Jeeps or racecars and the pump is constantly bypassing and getting hot. Everything in your steering system needs to be matched together.

The Raptor PS pump from the factory is 3 gpm at 1500 rpm which should be fine for most trucks even with 37s. A 10-20% increase in flow is fine and would even be recommended for Raptors with larger tires. Lee makes a TC pump and CB pump and they share the same mounting bolt pattern and the size is nearly the same. Most CB pumps have a bushing instead of bearing like the TC pumps but Lee does make their CB pumps with bearings. This is very important to have. Lee can also dial in the flow for what you need in your truck and they make the adapter to run a TC/CB style pump on the Raptor. Not hard to do, it's just a CNC milled bracket.

I'd recommend going to the GJ motorsports style reservoir. I've talked with him and they have it figured out. Yes, it's the same reservoir as Kartek sells but he gives it to you as a package with the proper bracket and he's a good guy. I'd also recommend switching to a real power steering fluid. I swapped mine out to Amsoil after roasting a pump doing some donuts and spirited driving in the woods here in the PNW. :D But after adding the Amsoil it's been perfect.

Just my two cents, I've been doing this a lot and have a ton of time into my steering setups, especially the Jeep.

D

Deleted member 17706

Eh, somewhat. My Jeep has a ton of racecar parts on it and some things make noise. But the pumps and pieces used in Howe's kit aren't really supposed to make noises. Most Raptor setups don't need a trophy truck pump and the noise you're hearing is all the fluid bypassing back to the reservoir. There's absolutely no need for that much flow. We're talking 9-12 gpm here at 1500psi or near that depending on Howe sets the flow. WAY too much.

For reference, I run a PSC 2.25x8" ram with 1.125" rod on my Jeep. It's double ended and the flow is controlled by a Sweet servo valve that's inline with a steering box that's had the hydraulics disabled. I have opened up the ports and made a few mods for flow. I am still run AN6 lines to the ram and have good steering speed. I was using a TC pump that's around 4.5 GPM but that's at 5000 rpm. At idle, it wouldn't steer quickly. I had to go to a Lee power steering CB pump that's about 5 gpm but at lower rpm. At idle it's pushing around 3 gpm which is much better. Even with all these "racecar" parts, there's still no need to have a trophy truck pump. Howe pushes that pump on everyone and it's not needed. I've known quite a few race teams that have had that pump on their Jeeps or racecars and the pump is constantly bypassing and getting hot. Everything in your steering system needs to be matched together.

The Raptor PS pump from the factory is 3 gpm at 1500 rpm which should be fine for most trucks even with 37s. A 10-20% increase in flow is fine and would even be recommended for Raptors with larger tires. Lee makes a TC pump and CB pump and they share the same mounting bolt pattern and the size is nearly the same. Most CB pumps have a bushing instead of bearing like the TC pumps but Lee does make their CB pumps with bearings. This is very important to have. Lee can also dial in the flow for what you need in your truck and they make the adapter to run a TC/CB style pump on the Raptor. Not hard to do, it's just a CNC milled bracket.

I'd recommend going to the GJ motorsports style reservoir. I've talked with him and they have it figured out. Yes, it's the same reservoir as Kartek sells but he gives it to you as a package with the proper bracket and he's a good guy. I'd also recommend switching to a real power steering fluid. I swapped mine out to Amsoil after roasting a pump doing some donuts and spirited driving in the woods here in the PNW. :D But after adding the Amsoil it's been perfect.

Just my two cents, I've been doing this a lot and have a ton of time into my steering setups, especially the Jeep.

LOL I didn't know they made race car parts for Jeeps :)

The problem with the HOWE system isn't their parts, it is the fact that the flow is too much as you noted above. Some did not understand this when going with the HOWE system and were disappointed when they realized their truck now made irregular noises due to the flow being too much.

I am not sure what you mean when you say real power steering fluid? Most guys I know, actually use ATF instead of power steering fluid. I totally agree with you in reference to running AMSOIL. I also like the fact that I can change the filter on the GJ system with an AMSOIL filter.

My entire Raptor suspension has been replaced besides my axles with race truck parts. When you do that, you give up the quietness of a factory vehicle. I was somewhat ignorant of this fact, which is why I said what I said to try and educate others. Nevertheless, the performance and reliability of the truck outweighs the quietness that I lost.

By the way, that was a nice write up sir!

gtxracer

Reaction score
LOL I didn't know they made race car parts for Jeeps :)

The problem with the HOWE system isn't their parts, it is the fact that the flow is too much as you noted above. Some did not understand this when going with the HOWE system and were disappointed when they realized their truck now made irregular noises due to the flow being too much.

I am not sure what you mean when you say real power steering fluid? Most guys I know, actually use ATF instead of power steering fluid. I totally agree with you in reference to running AMSOIL. I also like the fact that I can change the filter on the GJ system with an AMSOIL filter.

My entire Raptor suspension has been replaced besides my axles with race truck parts. When you do that, you give up the quietness of a factory vehicle. I was somewhat ignorant of this fact, which is why I said what I said to try and educate others. Nevertheless, the performance and reliability of the truck outweighs the quietness that I lost.

By the way, that was a nice write up sir!

ahhh I see what you mean now. Yes, the race car parts make noises. The high strength uniballs and heims make plenty of squeaks and rattles. Normal stuff. FWIW, by race car parts for my Jeep, I mean they took parts of a race car and I cut and fabbed to put them on my Jeep. Not really a direct replacement :)

By "real PS fluid" I mean something rated for use in power steering or hydraulic systems. ATF is intended for use in clutch based semi-hydraulic mechanisms and that's why it breaks down under pressure and heat. ATF is a fraction of the cost of PS fluid so Ford saved money when using it. Honestly if they just changed to PS fluid and a decent baffling system in the stock reservoir there wouldn't be half as many issues.

Thank you, I've spent a lot of time researching and trial and error. About 2 years so far. I also designed a 300m sector shaft for saginaw style steering boxes and oversaw manufacturing. We're hoping to make some for a few trophy trucks by contract from a reputable power steering supplier in the off road game. :)

D

Deleted member 17706

ahhh I see what you mean now. Yes, the race car parts make noises. The high strength uniballs and heims make plenty of squeaks and rattles. Normal stuff. FWIW, by race car parts for my Jeep, I mean they took parts of a race car and I cut and fabbed to put them on my Jeep. Not really a direct replacement :)

By "real PS fluid" I mean something rated for use in power steering or hydraulic systems. ATF is intended for use in clutch based semi-hydraulic mechanisms and that's why it breaks down under pressure and heat. ATF is a fraction of the cost of PS fluid so Ford saved money when using it. Honestly if they just changed to PS fluid and a decent baffling system in the stock reservoir there wouldn't be half as many issues.

Thank you, I've spent a lot of time researching and trial and error. About 2 years so far. I also designed a 300m sector shaft for saginaw style steering boxes and oversaw manufacturing. We're hoping to make some for a few trophy trucks by contract from a reputable power steering supplier in the off road game. :)

That’s interesting because I have always been told that ATF is better for PS hydraulics. Most of the Raptor shops that I know use ATF for Raptor PS. I am talking about trucks that are used hard off-road.

I don’t know what temps PS fluids reach, but I would imagine they wouldn’t get hotter than tranny fluid temps. Moreover, I have been told that ATF helps minimize hydraulic noises better than any power steering fluid. My fluid on my GJ system hasn’t broke down at all.

This mechanic does real solid work and use to work for Ford. He recommends the same thing at the beginning of the video:

@Marcus85 what are your thoughts? I saw you posted a picture of power steering fluid.

Last edited by a moderator:

gtxracer

Reaction score
Your fluid hasn't broke down because it's filtered. That's why they put it in there. Also, shops use ATF because it's Ford spec. If ATF (which is Automatic Transmission Fluid) was really worthwhile, there would be no reason to have a different fluid that's been proven to be superior for steering systems. Completely different specification and application.

It's your call, put what you want in your truck but I'm telling you from an engineering standpoint it's not the proper fluid in a steering system. Feel free to do your own research. :)

Marcus85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Marcus85 what are your thoughts? I saw you posted a picture of power steering fluid.[/QUOTE]

My mechanic Wiz recommended it. He ripped his Ford PS system out and replaced it with an old GM unit with PS fluid and has 0 issues. I haven't run my truck in 18 months but the Lee kit is legit.

D

Deleted member 12951

Your fluid hasn't broke down because it's filtered. That's why they put it in there. Also, shops use ATF because it's Ford spec. If ATF (which is Automatic Transmission Fluid) was really worthwhile, there would be no reason to have a different fluid that's been proven to be superior for steering systems. Completely different specification and application.

It's your call, put what you want in your truck but I'm telling you from an engineering standpoint it's not the proper fluid in a steering system. Feel free to do your own research. :)

What is your thoughts on Swepco 715 Power Steering fluid instead of using any brand ATF?

439b4594344b3798b2f4c1fa47eab5b4.jpg