Power steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justinb

Reaction score
I have a 2013 ford raptor went off road the other day and now at low speed have no power steering.
Have seen a bunch of older threads on this just want to see if any new options.

Do I need a new power steering pump?

Should I go aftermarket ?

Thanks Justin

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2013 ford raptor went off road the other day and now at low speed have no power steering.
Have seen a bunch of older threads on this just want to see if any new options.

Do I need a new power steering pump?

Should I go aftermarket ?

Thanks Justin

Is the fluid full?

If yes, then the answers to your question are yes and yes! Unless you have a warranty, then just have Ford fix it.

OP
OP
J

Justinb

Reaction score
Fluid was low (and black) filled it up no difference, it's out of warranty.

Any recommendations on aftermarket ones ?

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do a fluid flush first. Mine kinda made some noise after a trip, I stopped the flogging early to let it cool. When I got back home the next day I flushed the fluid and its been fine ever since. If you really got the fluid hot and aerated it could have done damage.

Do you need to go aftermarket? No, not really. Should you install a very large power steering cooler? Yes.

The truck is still essentially a F150. The PS system isn't really up to the task to handle the increased loads of heavy offroading, the tire size, as well as the strain while in 4WD.

Like I mentioned earlier, I flushed my fluid and added a PS cooler that is 6"x9" and yet to have an issue. The fluid gets incredibly hot and has no way to shed the heat.

RaptorEnthusiast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is still essentially a F150. The PS system isn't really up to the task to handle the increased loads of heavy offroading, the tire size, as well as the strain while in 4WD.

Makes you wonder why Ford did not "bolster" the PS system for the Raptor to handle the increased loads and abuses of offroading. After all, it's what the truck was engineered to do. That's one of the main areas I would have thought would have been accounted for.

David

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes you wonder why Ford did not "bolster" the PS system for the Raptor to handle the increased loads and abuses of offroading. After all, it's what the truck was engineered to do. That's one of the main areas I would have thought would have been accounted for.

David

Money is the biggest reason. It works for people offloading on fire/country/dirt roads, but not up to ***** for anything serious. With my 6"x9" powersteering cooler I haven't had issues up to this point.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Money is the biggest reason. It works for people offloading on fire/country/dirt roads, but not up to ***** for anything serious. With my 6"x9" powersteering cooler I haven't had issues up to this point.

Did a quick search on the 6X9 cooler didn't see anything that looked like the one you had in a picture. What cooler did you get?

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a quick search on the 6X9 cooler didn't see anything that looked like the one you had in a picture. What cooler did you get?

Correction on the size

5 3/4" x 11"

Long Oil Coolers

Model L7B

Pretty basic deal with 1/2" NPT female ports. I ghetto-fabbed it with rubber hose from the stock cooler on the A/C condenser to the stock PS reservoir. When I have time I'll go to steel line and inverted flare fittings at the cooler.

I had the longer version of the cooler similar to here

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/power-steering-cooler-32096/

It wasn't enough. The pump was beginning to whine out in the dunes and desert. The larger cooler and fluid flush fixed that problem fast.

Also, I tend to only use 4wd if I may get stuck, otherwise its 2wd all the time. The 4wd strain on the steering could also affect the PS system longevity.

Last edited: