Power Steering Blowout & Failure!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Blew my PS pump at TRR this year - 2014 w/ 35,000 miles. Had the RPG resi and cooler kit, but was probably a little late on install at 20,000 miles. The Howe kit is rough on slow turns due to the increase in fluid pressure to the rack...at least that's what I was told. Rack is now the weak point and would love a solid aftermarket replacement - just doubt it will be a reality with the gen 2s. I am planning to carry an extra rack for future events and pissed that Ford didn't put more into stock power steering.

You're correct that's what Howe told me as well. The weak point is the rack. But if there is no rack option I kindof wish I had gone the RPG reservoir/stock pump option. But I just got my truck back 2 days ago so time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howe has a lot of excuses for why their setup doesn't run in an acceptable manner, deadspots, groaning, vibrations, etc. The rack is just as weak as the rest of the system. It is not just the increased pressure in the pump though, I will tell you that I have trouble shot just about every possible variation of the kit. I've even run the kit with the stock pump and still had the same issues. Personally i see a lot of vibration in the lines and am starting to think that they must be the cause of the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

unw153

Reaction score
Doubt there will be an aftermarket option for Gen 1 now that Gen 2 is out.

I'm also way too happy with the my supercharged v8...no plans to move.

@unw153 do you predict Ford will really let this happen with gen 2 also? Or are you saying there will not be an after market option developed because gen 2 will not have the same problem? I really don't think I want a gen 2. I like the V8 Whipple charged. It's bad. Sounds awesome. I just wish my steering worked [emoji21]

SILVER

Reaction score
@RLTW so what are u going to do? Scrap the kit and go back to stock? I'm thinking that might be my plan I'm very disappointed. I'm surprised no one else has reported these issues on here. Unless I missed it