Power Steering Blowout & Failure!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Group buy is still going on, current invoices that have been paid have been processed and sent to Howe Performance. So if you are on the fence or thinking about it, get in now while we are still able to offer the discount!

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an update for everyone that has placed their preorder. I just spoke with Howe and there was an issue with the gig they were using to weld the AN fittings to the lines, the first few they welded weren't coming out within spec so they redid the gig and are getting back into the welding process now. That is good and bad. It is good that they are keeping quality control in check to ensure direct fitment, but bad due to delaying shipping by another 1-2 weeks. They apologized for the delay and said that anyone that has the ability to do so or who may want to weld those fittings onto the lines themselves can have their kits shipped immediately.

dbkid0486

Reaction score
I have a question and I hope @FordService can help. I purchased a raptor used that's CPO and still under warranty. I have noticed since the day of purchase a wierd vibration or from what I've been reading, a whining of some sort, when I'm driving slow in parking lots and parking whether I have the Steerimg wheel cocked one way or another or when I'm straightening the Steering wheel. I've contemplated going for the Howe system based on discussions w the previous owner @NickPic83 telling me he had the same issues before he traded it in.

Now I have some questions. If I install the Howe kit, and the rack goes bad, will that blow my pump? Or if I install the Howe kit before the rack goes will it prevent it from "going"? Or should I replace the rack before installing the Howe kit just to be on the safe side?

I don't expect Ford to warranty the Howe kit but will they warranty the replacement of the rack before it goes so I can prevent further issues and will they install the Howe kit for me? I've been talking to @Chris@FreedomMotorsports about purchasing it but I just want to see what I should be doing before I do it.

I also don't have the luxury to keep going back and forth with the dealer over
this. I just want it corrected. I live 40 mins from the dealer and can't afford to take off of work. I also don't want to waste a day, drive there, and not have it happen for them to see. But it does happen, it just doesn't ALWAYS happen.

Last edited:

SILVER

Reaction score
So I bought the Howe power steering kit and had a local shop install it. (TC pump, high pressure hoses, reservoir) They had to add spacers to push out my Whipple Supercharger's intercooler so the Howe reservoir would fit. It steers at stop now but its rough to the right and really rough and loud to the left. I called Howe and they said this is normal and that I'm not the first to call about the issue. He said the problem was with the stock rack but it didn't do it with the stock pump. I'm not sure if I would prefer the stock pump which performs good but dies at 30k or this $1200 kit that is choppy and loud but supposedly will last. Not happy Ford didn't put some effort into getting this right in the first place. Especially considering the price of these trucks. Also so far not very happy with the Howe kit. I would buy the Howe rack if it ever comes out though as I am now pretty much committed. Hopefully the rack would fix my problem. I have barely even taken this truck off road and it has 39k miles now.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I bought the Howe power steering kit and had a local shop install it. (TC pump, high pressure hoses, reservoir) They had to add spacers to push out my Whipple Supercharger's intercooler so the Howe reservoir would fit. It steers at stop now but its rough to the right and really rough and loud to the left. I called Howe and they said this is normal and that I'm not the first to call about the issue. He said the problem was with the stock rack but it didn't do it with the stock pump. I'm not sure if I would prefer the stock pump which performs good but dies at 30k or this $1200 kit that is choppy and loud but supposedly will last. Not happy Ford didn't put some effort into getting this right in the first place. Especially considering the price of these trucks. Also so far not very happy with the Howe kit. I would buy the Howe rack if it ever comes out though as I am now pretty much committed. Hopefully the rack would fix my problem. I have barely even taken this truck off road and it has 39k miles now.

86,700 miles on my original rack and pump. Got the RPG filter and cooler. Change my fluid pretty regular. No whine, no leaks, no problems.......

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2011 89,000 miles fluids changed twice. Added the PSS/Icon res and cooler a few month back but still running original rack and pump with out issue. 4 Snowballs, one Phoenix, 5 rally medical sweep/ course opening events still good.

I thought the Howe stuff was better then that. Now I have most likely jinxed myself but I have had a good run so if my stock parts fail I would look at it as normal wear.

unw153

Reaction score
Blew my PS pump at TRR this year - 2014 w/ 35,000 miles. Had the RPG resi and cooler kit, but was probably a little late on install at 20,000 miles. The Howe kit is rough on slow turns due to the increase in fluid pressure to the rack...at least that's what I was told. Rack is now the weak point and would love a solid aftermarket replacement - just doubt it will be a reality with the gen 2s. I am planning to carry an extra rack for future events and pissed that Ford didn't put more into stock power steering.

SILVER

Reaction score
Power Steering Blowout & Failure!

You're correct that's what Howe told me as well. The weak point is the rack. But if there is no rack option I kindof wish I had gone the RPG reservoir/stock pump option. But I just got my truck back 2 days ago so time will tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SILVER

Reaction score
@unw153 do you predict Ford will really let this happen with gen 2 also? Or are you saying there will not be an after market option developed because gen 2 will not have the same problem? I really don't think I want a gen 2. I like the V8 Whipple charged. It's bad. Sounds awesome. I just wish my steering worked [emoji21]

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
@unw153 do you predict Ford will really let this happen with gen 2 also? Or are you saying there will not be an after market option developed because gen 2 will not have the same problem? I really don't think I want a gen 2. I like the V8 Whipple charged. It's bad. Sounds awesome. I just wish my steering worked [emoji21]

Gen 2 is electric I'm pretty sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk