Power Source Behind Rear Seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need ~1amp switched (accy/on) 12vdc behind the rear seat on my 2019 802a truck for another camera (Garmin Mini2), is there a plug or wire around the amp on the drivers side I can pull from so I don’t have to go all the way to the front fuse block? I will fuse it and step it down to camera voltage. Thank you...

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Inverter harness on the passenger side?

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thought, I'll check there, stand by. thanks
Good question. I needed something similar to supply parking mode 12v to my dash cam. I also needed it to trigger the Aux battery (for camping etc.) DCDC charger to know when the truck was running (to get charged) vs. turned off (and to isolate the Aux battery).

I tapped the fuse panel in the passenger footwell for the camera with an add a fuse. It worked ok but there are many ticklers and sensors on different circuits for different things. When lockdowns started and I wasn't driving, I was getting weirdness like the door handle sensors not working. I mistakenly thought my add a fuse was messing with the circuit. I've since learned that as the truck senses voltage loss it starts to pull back on various circuits to conserve power.

Long story shorter... I ended up using a upfitter. Nice and clean - power on when on, off when off.

Another spot that is easy to get power is the rear seat 12v outlet. Come in from the cupholders and lots of room to do a splice into that circuit. I didn't do that because the truck will continue power to the outlet for 10 mins and I needed it to be off when the truck was off, not after the timer finished.

I want to find switched power that is a clean on and off too as I have plans for the upfitter. So many things going on electrically on the truck, I am cautious about which circuit I tap into.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So many things going on electrically on the truck, I am cautious about which circuit I tap into.
This. I tripped a BCM diagnostic code trying to cut my reverse lights into the bed light circuit, for constant 12v to my relay. The way I remember it is that it worked for switched on power but putting in reverse threw the fault. Then I was scrambling around looking for a blown fuse. The only thing that made me even remotely suspect to check for a DTC was trying to get constant 12v from the trailer plug - and failing, then reading up on it. Found no blown fused anywhere, but Forscan showed the DTC. cleared it and lights back on. I ran the 12v to the battery and problem solved.

@FordTechOne is right - you add electrical load to the in use circuits at your peril :)

My thinking is that getting one of the inverter harness circuits should be fairly safe unless you’re powering multiple laptops at the same time. hopefully.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I guess I've been lucky because I've the brake, signal, reverse light combo at the lower edge across the tailgate that the shop spliced into the taillight circuit.

They basically stripped back a little insulation and wrapped the third brake light wire around it, taping it with electrical tape. Not the best method but it's been working with no issues so far.