power cuts in higher rpms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coder

Reaction score
i don't really care for my cats, i actually wanted to replace them with non catted pipes if there was a good enough power gain from doing it, still deciding and doing my research on them though if i will go that route.
You'll never pass smog inspection in Commi-Fornia if you remove or install non CARB compliant cats. The OEM cats are free flowing so I don't know if you would gain anything anyway.

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have no ******* clue. I run 130-140 IAT2 all the time. Do you know where the sensor is located?
hit a nerve? got your ******* in a bunch? LOL.

You have anything useful to say ?

I live in 107-115 ambient air temp all day long.

Visteon was my client. I know who supplies what and who developed these so called "sensors".

zoCxWezSeN5kv9-5LmatYYpso7VZso_sDLOgR=w644-h858-no.png

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what you’re describing does not sound like timing retard alone, it may be timing retard with some misfires, or some other issue, but by itself timing retard is “more” linear in feel than an abrupt cut. It’s not completely linear, but not binary.

You’re 100% correct not to mod the truck while it’s exhibiting this behavior and correct to remove the k&n before going to the dealer because they will absolutely point their crooked little fingers at the filter as the cause.

Just to clarify, @Fordza1 said the k&n was the worst -at filtering- that is, keeping debris out of engines, but they typically flow as good or better than the stock piece, but you sacrifice filtration to get more flow and that flow may not help if the air filter isn’t a choke point in the intake system. I would think it would be a poor choice for off roading, especially in super dusty/dirty environments.

thanks for the comment, it never had any check engine lights or any warnings light up so was a bit strange to me why it was doing it, funny thing i never had any experience with ford service departments so i told my loan guy at the dealer three times that i dont need extended warranty because i will mod the truck with a tune and other mods so from my past experience it would all be a waste of money, he was almost swearing that they would for sure warranty everything else thats not changed or related to the parts changed if something was to go wrong... i ended up getting a better deal on the exteneded warranty to 100k for like 3k more, but will probably call and cancel it anyway as im sure my local dealers will point their crooked finger at anything down the road to avoid fixing it. ive used k&n also on all me previous trucks and never had any issues with them, so it was suprising to hear , but i didnt want the oil from it getting on the sensors or what not so il get the dry version ordered for this truck.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll never pass smog inspection in Commi-Fornia if you remove or install non CARB compliant cats. The OEM cats are free flowing so I don't know if you would gain anything anyway.

this i know very well lol, but i only need to pass smog when i sell the truck, i always keep my stock parts so when i sell it i would install them back on the truck, i have bought new cars and never had to pass smog until i sold them, still have my gtr going on 6th year in november that wont pass smog lol but i still never got any letters for it to pass smog, but im not selling it yet either.

thats what i kinda have heard about the cats on this truck to my suprise. normally they would be the most restricting item on the exhaust , have had huge gains on other cars without them, i wont change them unless i can see a dyno proof of them adding at least 20hp to the truck going catless.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hit a nerve? got your ******* in a bunch? LOL.

You have anything useful to say ?

I live in 107-115 ambient air temp all day long.

Visteon was my client. I know who supplies what and who developed these so called "sensors".

zoCxWezSeN5kv9-5LmatYYpso7VZso_sDLOgR=w644-h858-no.png

Well for sure the sensor you have pictured is NOT an air temp sensor or any temp sensor at all. That is the Throttle Inlet Pressure sensor, essentially a MAP. Not the actual manifold pressure, just the pre-throttle pressure. There is another T-MAP sensor for the IAT2 and a simple temp sensor for IAT1/intake air temp. So you have proved for sure that you have no idea WTF...

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
thanks for the comment, it never had any check engine lights or any warnings light up so was a bit strange to me why it was doing it, funny thing i never had any experience with ford service departments so i told my loan guy at the dealer three times that i dont need extended warranty because i will mod the truck with a tune and other mods so from my past experience it would all be a waste of money, he was almost swearing that they would for sure warranty everything else thats not changed or related to the parts changed if something was to go wrong... i ended up getting a better deal on the exteneded warranty to 100k for like 3k more, but will probably call and cancel it anyway as im sure my local dealers will point their crooked finger at anything down the road to avoid fixing it. ive used k&n also on all me previous trucks and never had any issues with them, so it was suprising to hear , but i didnt want the oil from it getting on the sensors or what not so il get the dry version ordered for this truck.

literally decades ago, and probably a few times since, Ford put out a TSB for oil saturated MAF sensor caused by oiled cotton air filters. I’ve used them previously too, sometimes with a couple hp at the wheels. Never a lot, but I’ve seen consistent small increases on the Mustangs, but lost hp on my ZX14, and ZX11. but yeah, they don’t filter well compared to stock.

If your truck doesn’t do this consistently, make sure you can get a tech to do a test drive with you and illustrate it to them. The last thing you want is repeat visits for this.

1roadking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck feels like it cuts power on long hard pulls in hot humid temps. I’m running 89 and now am going to try 91. I leave my turbo gauge up on my dash and have noticed it drops a little in pressure when I get this feeling. My guess is it pulls boost when it heats up on a long hard pull. Since it has cooled off here in NH the motor feels like a different animal! Heat over 75 to 80 definitely effects the power of this truck.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck feels like it cuts power on long hard pulls in hot humid temps. I’m running 89 and now am going to try 91. I leave my turbo gauge up on my dash and have noticed it drops a little in pressure when I get this feeling. My guess is it pulls boost when it heats up on a long hard pull. Since it has cooled off here in NH the motor feels like a different animal! Heat over 75 to 80 definitely effects the power of this truck.

heat affects every car, but yes ecp the turbo cars, i have noticed a day a night difference from hot summers to cold winters the power difference is huge . the heat soak is always a issue that affects the power output. ive noticed the cuts mostly between 3.5 to 5k rpm in higher gears. although after i dumped some of the additives the other day, and its also cooler now in the mornings and afternoons 60s to 70s , i dont notice it right now. i wont add any additives on my next tank to see if it will come back again, dont want to waste time at the dealer when they cant see or feel the issue.

Turk10mm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in hot Houston i get the retard that you are describing on hot days. Going from 87 to 93 octane takes most of it out, but not all. Almost feels like a stutter in the upper revs. Enough to catch your attention, but not enough to really make any difference.