power cuts in higher rpms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i have a stock 18 raptor i bought less than 2 weeks ago, only have put a k&n filter in the stock airbox so far. anyway i had ordered a tune for it but hesitant to install it until i get this resolved , since i think i may need to take it to the dealer to see if theres anything wrong with the software. i have noticed it would jerk or have power cuts in the higher rpms and they are very short like half a secont , i dont notice them in the lower gears, only when im on the freeway or higher speeds and when i go wot it would have a power surge for very short time and go back to its normal self and would do it again sometimes in the same gear. i tried to wot it in manual shifting today and it was a bit harsher power surge/cut for a slight half secont or so and would continue driving regular right after . i have noticed it many times now, i just took a vacation to newport beach and put 1400 miles on it now . wondering if anyone else had this problem or if a tune would take care of it? i prob should have the dealer check the software first though before installing anything.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would (a) follow the break-in procedures for at least a while, and (b) let the dealer check it before you do any other mods.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am in commifornia as some would put it, they have the shit 91 gas here. i only use chevron/shell or mobile gas pumps and of course only 91. wish they had 93

Yeah, then I would be pretty sure it is the poor fuel quality. Not much you can do about it other than buy some unleaded race fuel and mix it yourself. If you're interested in more power and don't care much for cost or fuel mileage, then a specific E-30 to full E-85 tune is likely the best route and be (semi)legal. Your tailpipe emissions will be less than gasoline!

As for the K&N filter, if it is one of the original oiled-gauze types, I would toss it in the trash and put the OEM back in. The K&Ns are truly the worst "filtering" air filter on the market today. The OEM is not a restriction, but if you must have aftermarket, I recommend the AEM synthetic "dry-flow" version. Oddly enough, K&N actually manufactures and sells the better AEM brand.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i have a stock 18 raptor i bought less than 2 weeks ago, only have put a k&n filter in the stock airbox so far. anyway i had ordered a tune for it but hesitant to install it until i get this resolved , since i think i may need to take it to the dealer to see if theres anything wrong with the software. i have noticed it would jerk or have power cuts in the higher rpms and they are very short like half a secont , i dont notice them in the lower gears, only when im on the freeway or higher speeds and when i go wot it would have a power surge for very short time and go back to its normal self and would do it again sometimes in the same gear. i tried to wot it in manual shifting today and it was a bit harsher power surge/cut for a slight half secont or so and would continue driving regular right after . i have noticed it many times now, i just took a vacation to newport beach and put 1400 miles on it now . wondering if anyone else had this problem or if a tune would take care of it? i prob should have the dealer check the software first though before installing anything.

I had this, it was bad gas. Try 91 from a reputable station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, then I would be pretty sure it is the poor fuel quality. Not much you can do about it other than buy some unleaded race fuel and mix it yourself. If you're interested in more power and don't care much for cost or fuel mileage, then a specific E-30 to full E-85 tune is likely the best route and be (semi)legal. Your tailpipe emissions will be less than gasoline!

As for the K&N filter, if it is one of the original oiled-gauze types, I would toss it in the trash and put the OEM back in. The K&Ns are truly the worst "filtering" air filter on the market today. The OEM is not a restriction, but if you must have aftermarket, I recommend the AEM synthetic "dry-flow" version. Oddly enough, K&N actually manufactures and sells the better AEM brand.

thats weird i wouldnt think 91 would be a issue for it, ecp with the top branded gas i used. i would love to have e85 tune for it, but not sure what i have to do to make it full e85, other than probably the fuel pumps and tune, possibly injectors like i did on the gtr, id have to research this on the forum to see what i would have to do to get it working on e85, only issue with that is i would need regular gas for out of town trips or where its not available so if i cant have a flex fuel tune where i can fill up 91 or e85 anytime then id prob have to stick to just 91 and do a blend once in a while when i am able to. about the stock filter, this is the first time hearing that its not that restrictive, i guess nowdays they are making much better filters than before, i have always changed my intake or filters depending on the car or truck type, and noticed better fuel mileage with them in the past. if the stock filters are just as good with air flow then i might just toss that back in there or try the dry version your refering to. thanks