Potentially buying first truck ever.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor_Envy

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm coming from nothing but manual sports cars, mustang GT, S60R, 335i Msport, 997TT, and now currently a GT350 .. family is getting bigger, I think it's time to grow up a little and get something that fits the whole family.

I know close to zero about trucks though I have lurked here the past week. I've always liked the raptor and after test driving a few I think I want to pull the trigger. I've got a few options all 17-19 with 50k miles and all within my budget. I'm a weirdo who likes the white with graphics. But there is one that is the nice gray color with 802a + CF that is the best price& odo combo. I think it's fine but when I test drove it there was a strange wobble in the front when slowing down under 40mph. I don't know if it's alignment? I've never driven on truck tires. But if I had to describe it I would say it feels like a rim that's not balanced. It does have bead lockers if that matters. Is there anything truck related I should have the service department check?

-The truck starts and idles quietly. No TSBs have been performed.
-I tested all drive modes and they worked with no clunking or anything
-While on the test drive I got up to 80 and the truck did fine, I also took it over some poor road sections to see what that was like and I didn't have any issues.
-Does not look like there are any witness marks on the cab/ bed seam.

The truck has spent 110days on car gurus but the oil has not been changed since the dealership got it (supposedly a 1 owner trade in) it has 3500miles and a little over 160hrs with the current oil. The interior is kinda beat up, lot of cuts and scratches in the plastic trim b pillars and foot area door panels, also the cf is scratched. The seats are great though.

I'm asking the service center to check the wobble, oil pan (2017), do an oil change, and I'm going to bring up the interior condition.

What mechanically would make you run away from a raptor? How much of it being a truck with OE tires filled to 41psi causes the vibration? Do beadlockers cause issues?

Thank you in advance for any help.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the place. What tires are on there, are they new? If they are new and balanced properly, it shouldn't matter about the beadlocks if they are the factory ones, maybe provide a picture. It sounds more like the brake rotors might be warped a bit. If you take it out for another test drive, I would try slamming hard on the brakes above 50 mph to a complete stop and see what it is like. Hold on with both hands. Might need new rotors, don't let the dealer turn them, get new ones, if that is the fault and new pads obviously. It's not expensive at all.

OP
OP
R

Raptor_Envy

Reaction score
Welcome to the place. What tires are on there, are they new? If they are new and balanced properly, it shouldn't matter about the beadlocks if they are the factory ones, maybe provide a picture. It sounds more like the brake rotors might be warped a bit. If you take it out for another test drive, I would try slamming hard on the brakes above 50 mph to a complete stop and see what it is like. Hold on with both hands. Might need new rotors, don't let the dealer turn them, get new ones, if that is the fault and new pads obviously. It's not expensive at all.
Good point, I want to say I was coasting and not on the brakes. The vibration also was translating through the steering wheel/ body and not the pedals which is why I went to alignment/ balance. The truck has OE tires.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF!
I think it's fine but when I test drove it there was a strange wobble in the front when slowing down under 40mph
That’s strange. What’s the miles on the truck and tires, if known? check the tire pressure, the door placard calls for 38/38 cold, lots of stealerships overfill them. Raptor Assault recommendations on the stock KO2 C load range tires are around 33F / 28R last I heard. I run around 34-35 Front, 33-32 rear. I found that I wore out the centers well before the edges on the last set of KO2’s and I’m not the only one to have that experience. Also, the inside of the front tires wears every other tread block. If the tires are well shagged, you could simply need new tires.

if I had to describe it I would say it feels like a rim that's not balanced. It does have bead lockers if that matters. Is there anything truck related I should have the service department check?

-While on the test drive I got up to 80 and the truck did fine, I also took it over some poor road sections to see what that was like and I didn't have any issues.
so if it was balance, you would feel the issue at 80, ditto if it was a wheel.
I have some roads local to me that transmit some “bad balance” feeling to the steering wheel, but out on glass like pavement it’s fine.

That could be an issue as well.

35’s and KO2’s in particular are notoriously difficult to balance. Back in 2017 we had a fair number of users who had repeat visits for balance and even tires replaced under warranty.

2017 through early 2018 model trucks have a plastic oil pan that is a frequent flyer here on FRF for leaking. The problem is that the repair procedure is intricate and particular and the repair will not succeed if the procedure is not followed. which can lead to repeat repairs.

pre-2019 (?) trucks had revised cam phasers. some trucks never have the issue. the problem is a ‘marbles in a can’ sound on start up. The truck has to be completely cold to manifest the symptoms early on so get a ‘cold soak’ startup.

check for IWE issues - windows down, everything off and accelerate while listening for a ticking or clicking type sound. plenty of youtube stuff on this. have them checked if you hear it. - be in 2H for this. If you hear it and noise goes away in 4a, that’s an IWE issue and should be investigated.

Finally, oil doesn’t degrade with time, but usage. 3500 miles isn’t nothing but you should be able to get 4-6k miles on the street no problem. Manual says you can go 10k miles but @FordTechOne is not a fan of long interval changes and makes a convincing case to change oil more frequently rather than less.

good luck!
#MaybeOneLessprius?

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF!

That’s strange. What’s the miles on the truck and tires, if known? check the tire pressure, the door placard calls for 38/38 cold, lots of stealerships overfill them. Raptor Assault recommendations on the stock KO2 C load range tires are around 33F / 28R last I heard. I run around 34-35 Front, 33-32 rear. I found that I wore out the centers well before the edges on the last set of KO2’s and I’m not the only one to have that experience. Also, the inside of the front tires wears every other tread block. If the tires are well shagged, you could simply need new tires.

I have some roads local to me that transmit some “bad balance” feeling to the steering wheel, but out on glass like pavement it’s fine.

35’s and KO2’s in particular are notoriously difficult to balance. Back in 2017 we had a fair number of users who had repeat visits for balance and even tires replaced under warranty.

2017 through early 2018 model trucks have a plastic oil pan that is a frequent flyer here on FRF for leaking. The problem is that the repair procedure is intricate and particular and the repair will not succeed if the procedure is not followed. which can lead to repeat repairs.

pre-2019 (?) trucks had revised cam phasers. some trucks never have the issue. the problem is a ‘marbles in a can’ sound on start up. The truck has to be completely cold to manifest the symptoms early on so get a ‘cold soak’ startup.

check for IWE issues - windows down, everything off and accelerate while listening for a ticking or clicking type sound. plenty of youtube stuff on this. have them checked if you hear it. - be in 2H for this. If you hear it and noise goes away in 4a, that’s an IWE issue and should be investigated.

Finally, oil doesn’t degrade with time, but usage. 3500 miles isn’t nothing but you should be able to get 4-6k miles on the street no problem. Manual says you can go 10k miles but @FordTechOne is not a fan of long interval changes and makes a convincing case to change oil more frequently rather than less.

good luck!
#MaybeOneLessprius?
^^this

Wobble sounds like a rotor issue. Plenty of slotted/drilled options out there. Ive gone with rotorpros in the past

#HopfullyOneLessPrius

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Raptor_Envy

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF!

good luck!
#MaybeOneLessprius?

Thanks for the info.

For sure its on stock KO2's filled all 4 to 41psi (I thought this was high too)
No ticking, rattling, or anything odd in any drive mode.

*About oil degradation. Oil breaks down and goes rancid as its acidity changes. Of course this happens MUCH faster while the engine is on which is why you want to pay attention to your OCI usage depending. Oil will also break down just sitting there, even more so if it has been through a few ignition cycles and has contaminants in it. So motor oil sitting for a long time is imo the same as a long OCI, I wouldn't do it.

With regard to OCI duration, in all of my vehicles I will change every 4500-5000 miles, or in the case of my cars after every HPDE. I run redline because of the higher ester base and it does just fine. Ford replaced my gt350's engine under warranty and did not complain about the fact I did not use motocraft and that redline does not specifically have ford's seal of approval. Blackstone testing showed for my 997tt I could go 4-6k miles, the gt350 actually a bit better at 4-7.5k. So I'll stick with 4500 miles for my OCI. Which means that I'll be having this dealer perform the oil change should I go with it.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tires.....my 35-Ko2's are original with 42,000 miles on a 5 wheel rotation.....so 30,000 miles a wheel. They wobble under 5mph...are fine 5-65.....shake 65-80......smooth as butter 80+

Oil life is good to 10,000 miles or 1 year +.....why worry about it with 3,500 miles or 110 days. It is not 1980's oil tech anymore. it is your money....you can waste it all you want with un needed 4,500 oil changes. So many "car" guys still live in the 80's with their ignorant views on oil changes.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome

Raptor will fit your thirst. Mr. I own all the sports cars ever lol

1646074866285.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Raptor_Envy

Reaction score
Tires.....my 35-Ko2's are original with 42,000 miles on a 5 wheel rotation.....so 30,000 miles a wheel. They wobble under 5mph...are fine 5-65.....shake 65-80......smooth as butter 80+

Oil life is good to 10,000 miles or 1 year +.....why worry about it with 3,500 miles or 110 days. It is not 1980's oil tech anymore. it is your money....you can waste it all you want with un needed 4,500 oil changes. So many "car" guys still live in the 80's with their ignorant views on oil changes.
I would agree for an N/A motor AND all hwy miles. For FI you want as much sheering protection as you can both for the turbos and also the vct driven by oil pressure. I don't so much have an issue with the late in it's life OCI but it combined with other issues makes me think it wasn't cared for.

Turns out it had other issues including timing chain and a leaking oil pan. So I went with a bit of a unicorn find. A 2017 avalanche with 802a w/ moonroof delete. + Rear heated seats and tech pack.

Welcome

Raptor will fit your thirst. Mr. I own all the sports cars ever lol

View attachment 344480
Now I can cross truck off that list :p

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I would agree for an N/A motor AND all hwy miles. For FI you want as much sheering protection as you can both for the turbos and also the vct driven by oil pressure. I don't so much have an issue with the late in it's life OCI but it combined with other issues makes me think it wasn't cared for.

Turns out it had other issues including timing chain and a leaking oil pan. So I went with a bit of a unicorn find. A 2017 avalanche with 802a w/ moonroof delete. + Rear heated seats and tech pack.

Now I can cross truck off that list :p
Avalanche grey you say?

I think I saw you new rig, and snapped a pic for you. Feel free to use for your profile pic ;-)

Nd9GcRX3kJMGAomGpN_lvB-oRdZgFQOsORmprVYzg&usqp=CAU.jpg

great score on the moonroof delete!
#NotConvincedItsOneLessprius