Potential New Raptor Owner - Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshyP

Reaction score
Hey Raptorians,

I've been interested in Raptor's since they first came out but purchasing one was not in the cards until recently. I'm in California and have been calling around to multiple dealers and the ADM on these trucks is pretty significant. I originally was looking at the Raptor R but the markup is just silly, 40k-60k depending on the dealer, so that ain't gonna happen. The cheapest I could find is 15k ADM for the 3.5L, which I can justify. So I put money down on one with that dealer for Avalanche, 37s and moonroof. This is using the dealer inventory and I was told around 6 months before I get my hands on it, which seems like that is wishful thinking based off the forums I've been reading where folks have been waiting over a year. I had a few questions that I was hoping y'all can weigh in on.

1. I originally put money down on a black Raptor and the Priority Code was "01", I called in like 3 days later to change it to Avalanche and the priority code changed to "20". I'm not sure what the priority code is but it seems like it might be how long it would take to start building?

2. Is Avalanche a tougher color to get or does the color not matter much?

3. For folks in California, is 15k ADM a semi good deal or should I shop out of state? I'm in the Sacramento area.

4. I see some folks eventually can look their order up on Ford and get a VIN, would I get the same thing going through the dealer using their inventory, not like a special order specifically for me?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited:

787Jet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No expert here but here is my two cents;
1. Don’t get hung up on the priority code it can vary by dealer.
2. Never have seen color choice make a difference.
3. Probably not a bad deal for California, MSRP deals can be had out of state, but what’s your time worth?
4. Till you get it VIN assigned you do not have a guaranteed truck. Some dealers are taking deposits without having an allocation. The tracker will update when you get your VIN.

OP
OP
J

JoshyP

Reaction score
No expert here but here is my two cents;
1. Don’t get hung up on the priority code it can vary by dealer.
2. Never have seen color choice make a difference.
3. Probably not a bad deal for California, MSRP deals can be had out of state, but what’s your time worth?
4. Till you get it VIN assigned you do not have a guaranteed truck. Some dealers are taking deposits without having an allocation. The tracker will update when you get your VIN.
Thanks! The dealer I'm going through said they do have allocation, but I am taking them for their word, not sure what that's worth.

So if I go through the process, being that this is their allocation, they might eventually give me a VIN? I do like the sound of that.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Raptorians,

I've been interested in Raptor's since they first came out but purchasing one was not in the cards until recently. I'm in California and have been calling around to multiple dealers and the ADM on these trucks is pretty significant. I originally was looking at the Raptor R but the markup is just silly, 40k-60k depending on the dealer, so that ain't gonna happen. The cheapest I could find is 15k ADM for the 3.5L, which I can justify. So I put money down on one with that dealer for Avalanche, 37s and moonroof. This is using the dealer inventory and I was told around 6 months before I get my hands on it, which seems like that is wishful thinking based off the forums I've been reading where folks have been waiting over a year. I had a few questions that I was hoping y'all can weigh in on.

1. I originally put money down on a black Raptor and the Priority Code was "01", I called in like 3 days later to change it to Avalanche and the priority code changed to "20". I'm not sure what the priority code is but it seems like it might be how long it would take to start building?

2. Is Avalanche a tougher color to get or does the color not matter much?

3. For folks in California, is 15k ADM a semi good deal or should I shop out of state? I'm in the Sacramento area.

4. I see some folks eventually can look their order up on Ford and get a VIN, would I get the same thing going through the dealer using their inventory, not like a special order specifically for me?

Thanks for your help in advance!
I've got four words for you, GO OUT OF STATE. Markup is not worth it and you'll find a dealer that'll sell you one at MSRP.

OP
OP
J

JoshyP

Reaction score
Appreciate the advice. I might shop around in Oregon, Arizona, Nevada and see what I can find. If I get anything close to MSRP I'll let y'all know.

787Jet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is a dealer stock order that you are taking or did you sit down and tell them what you wanted, “retail order?” Ask for a dealer order receipt acknowledgment, DORA. It is a verification sent to dealers acknowledging each order placed with Ford. Retail orders are price protected from the order date, stock orders are not. In the 8 1/2 months I waited on my retail order, there were three price increases. I was price protected to original MSRP but had to pull out original build sheet that I signed. Good luck, it is a long and can be confusing process! Read as many threads as you can on here, lots of good information.

badclam

Reaction score
If you're willing to pay even 10k ADM, you can find one on a lot tomorrow in a neighboring state.

Mac4

Reaction score
Pm me. I almost bought one from a dealer near me. They are claiming 10k adm but I talked them down to 6k. They lowballed the hell outta me on my trade in. I was able to get an msrp order for a 2023 at a dealer out of state so I walked. If you want the truck now tho it was available as of yesterday.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Retail orders are price protected from the order date, stock orders are not.
This was true for 22MY trucks. Ford has yet to put anything out regarding price protection for 23MY trucks. If you’re in possession of such a memo from Ford, do you mind posting it here? -Cheers

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pm me. I almost bought one from a dealer near me. They are claiming 10k adm but I talked them down to 6k. They lowballed the hell outta me on my trade in. I was able to get an msrp order for a 2023 at a dealer out of state so I walked. If you want the truck now tho it was available as of yesterday.
You could make someone’s day posting that info here. 37…35?