Potential Gen1 Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DMO

Reaction score
Guys - I am going to look at and potentially purchase this 2013 Raptor this weekend, and thought I would get your guys' eyes on what I am seeing, and see if you have any additional comments on what to pay attention to. I am already going to inspect the following list of item when I arrive, and I did notice the Forged Offroad/Radflo suspension (from photos I requested, attached) - not sure if I should interpret that as a good or bad thing. Only other mod I see are the cab marker lights. Let me know if anything jumps out at you to pay attention to. Thanks!

https://www.doxontoyota.com/auto/us...supercrew-v8-55ft-bed-4wd-auburn-wa/67617263/

Interior:
- 6-speed Transmission shifting while driving (Should be smooth?)
- All Gauges
- Power windows
- Sunroof up and back
- Power Seats, Heater and cooler working. Front and back seats
- Steering wheel heater working
- check AC/heat work without rattle noise
- check front camera (go to ‘truck apps’, right twice, enable with off-road mode/lock diff)
- check rear camera (reverse)
- Check 4 wheel drive, 4H, 4L. Make sure it engages (and check disengagement while driving in 2H with windows down listen for sounds)
- All speakers working, amp?
- power folding mirrors (pull button toward you)

Exterior:
- truckbed pull-out step works
- engine ticking is normal when started when cold
- All lights (fog, brake, blinkers, reverse, etc)
- Under carriage / Rust /
- Bashed in skid plates and or scrapes
- scrapes on exhaust tips
- Alignment
- Leaks
- Shocks (if clunking when driving then they need re-built)
- Axles
- Gap between bed and cab (should be even), Bed strikes against the back of the cab
- Gaps between the tailgate and bedsides
- tie rods for tightness
- Steering linkage tight
- Rear shock mounts for cracks (Frame tweaking, especially around the rear OEM bumpstop area)
- Rear leaf springs for cracks / missing parts (3 leafs for gen 1)
- Check behind the rubber door seals for rust / corrosion
- cab bottom (around drain holes) for rust/corrosion
- inside the rear bumper
- dirt build up in the skid plates and the transmission braces

Under the hood:
- Motor, upper and lower (excessive dust?)
- Wiring. Check the pass through wires for condition. Look under the panels for weird wiring.
- Fuse box for obvious damage (fuse 27 relocation)
- Power steering pump, lines for leaks

IMG-1310.JPEGIMG-1311.JPEGIMG-1312.JPEGIMG-1313.JPEGIMG-1314.JPEG

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys - I am going to look at and potentially purchase this 2013 Raptor this weekend, and thought I would get your guys' eyes on what I am seeing, and see if you have any additional comments on what to pay attention to. I am already going to inspect the following list of item when I arrive, and I did notice the Forged Offroad/Radflo suspension (from photos I requested, attached) - not sure if I should interpret that as a good or bad thing. Only other mod I see are the cab marker lights. Let me know if anything jumps out at you to pay attention to. Thanks!

https://www.doxontoyota.com/auto/us...supercrew-v8-55ft-bed-4wd-auburn-wa/67617263/

Interior:
- 6-speed Transmission shifting while driving (Should be smooth?)
- All Gauges
- Power windows
- Sunroof up and back
- Power Seats, Heater and cooler working. Front and back seats
- Steering wheel heater working
- check AC/heat work without rattle noise
- check front camera (go to ‘truck apps’, right twice, enable with off-road mode/lock diff)
- check rear camera (reverse)
- Check 4 wheel drive, 4H, 4L. Make sure it engages (and check disengagement while driving in 2H with windows down listen for sounds)
- All speakers working, amp?
- power folding mirrors (pull button toward you)

Exterior:
- truckbed pull-out step works
- engine ticking is normal when started when cold
- All lights (fog, brake, blinkers, reverse, etc)
- Under carriage / Rust /
- Bashed in skid plates and or scrapes
- scrapes on exhaust tips
- Alignment
- Leaks
- Shocks (if clunking when driving then they need re-built)
- Axles
- Gap between bed and cab (should be even), Bed strikes against the back of the cab
- Gaps between the tailgate and bedsides
- tie rods for tightness
- Steering linkage tight
- Rear shock mounts for cracks (Frame tweaking, especially around the rear OEM bumpstop area)
- Rear leaf springs for cracks / missing parts (3 leafs for gen 1)
- Check behind the rubber door seals for rust / corrosion
- cab bottom (around drain holes) for rust/corrosion
- inside the rear bumper
- dirt build up in the skid plates and the transmission braces

Under the hood:
- Motor, upper and lower (excessive dust?)
- Wiring. Check the pass through wires for condition. Look under the panels for weird wiring.
- Fuse box for obvious damage (fuse 27 relocation)
- Power steering pump, lines for leaks

View attachment 376610View attachment 376611View attachment 376612View attachment 376613View attachment 376614
Engine ticking would not be normal on cold start. That us the rocker arms that have gone bad.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO,the upgraded shocks would show the owner did some serious off roading,but thats just me....121k,has it been tuned up...thats a pricey job...I bought mine sight unseen in Colorado and had owner bring it to an independent shop,of my choice to do a PPI on it...NOT a Dealer,who does their little 28 point inspection....it cost me $150 and was the best $ ever spent.. called and they said it scored 99 out of 10p points and to buy it...it was delivered 2 weeks later and still lovin it after 3 years..
BTW..I see its in Auburn..so your Wa....im 2 hrs south in Chehalis area...
Good luck....

Last edited:

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like you pretty much know what to look for according to your list. I would definitely plan on rebuilding the shocks regardless of any clunk or feel. They’ve been on there for a while. Good luck!
Is it me or in the 3rd pic, Does it look like the inner CV boot is split near the top of the largest ring of the boot ?

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You might be waiting awhile for the steering wheel and the back seats to heat up. I don't think that was a option on the 2013. I could be wrong, but I haven't found a way to heat my steering wheel. I never ride in the back seats, but pretty sure they don't heat or cool. My 2013 does have the 801A package.

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like you know what you are looking at and what to ask and look for. The cab clearance lights are an odd touch. Good luck!

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be waiting awhile for the steering wheel and the back seats to heat up. I don't think that was a option on the 2013. I could be wrong, but I haven't found a way to heat my steering wheel. I never ride in the back seats, but pretty sure they don't heat or cool. My 2013 does have the 801A package.
Yeah good catch! My 13 has the 801A package aswell and do not have heated steering wheel or heated rear seats either.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Looks good to me. I wouldn't let the shocks scare you away. I am pretty confident that tons of people drop big bucks on Fox racing shocks and never do more than jump the curb at the mall. Someone just started modding, started small at the cab lights and ended up at the shocks.

Citizen Park

Reaction score
Look underneath the oil cap for any milkshake. I would also test to see if any coolant is mixed with the oil. Test the HI/LO, actuator to go out is common.