Possible break warranty issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And let’s spell “brake” correctly please and not call them drums, either.

Sorry, personal pet peeves.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think previous post came across corse and somewhat “altered” due to me nursing this knee replacement.

I guess in short, through aftermarket/competition experience dating back to the earliest of 90’s, unless you are trying to just make it to the next big town, removing material from brake components has always been a big no no. Esp in cases like this where a replacement part would be so inexpensive for the peace of mind provided on a brake system that might already be undersized.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Only 2 possibilities are a defective brake pad (warrantable) or road debris getting between the brake pad and rotor (non-warrantable).

There is one other way. One of my 1st cars was a Javelin AMX that I rescued from a body shop that the repair bill had gone unpaid for a few years. Got it going and there was a horrible grinding. Somehow, someone had put one of the front brake pads on backwards, the steel backing plate was facing the rotor.

That does not look like the case here.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't that why rotors have a minimum thickness on the back of them? Set by the manufacture. I have done both methods and by far on the truck is the way to go. So do you just replace one or both rotors? It just sucks that he might have to pay for something that he got with such low mileage on the truck. It should be interesting to hear what the dealer has to say.

As far a a brake check, Helen Keller could see that there is damage to the rotor. If the system is diminished just by normal wear, at what point should they be replaced to achieve 100% braking ability 10k, 20k, 30k, they are consumable but at what point do you you consider them needing replacement? at 5k mi. seems a little early for a consumable to fail. I come from a time when bubble balancing was the norn. And I have seen people taken advantage of and also people who had saved a substantial amount of money to have their rotors turned on their Honda or other car because of the labor involved to remove them

I`m not trying to bust anyone's stones here but you can bring up the aftermarket rotors, aftermarket pads, Larger brake kit, etc. but to have one crap out at 5k mi. on a $70k ride sucks especially if he can`t do the work himself
I think previous post came across corse and somewhat “altered” due to me nursing this knee replacement.

I guess in short, through aftermarket/competition experience dating back to the earliest of 90’s, unless you are trying to just make it to the next big town, removing material from brake components has always been a big no no. Esp in cases like this where a replacement part would be so inexpensive for the peace of mind provided on a brake system that might already be undersized.

All good, I have nursed through two ACL repairs and several back and shoulder surgeries and I`m still surprised my wife is still with me due to the altered state I've been in so many times. What you were saying made sense but when you threw in the hit it with a wire wheel which I assumed you meant a abrasive wheel

I think the worst part of the knee surgery was waking up in the bed with my leg in a machine that was bending and straightening out my leg, they left that out when telling me whats involved. Did you have it replaced due to an injury or arthritis if you don`t mind me asking?

I hope that all goes well with the knee. Stay infection free and get back up and running a-sap and don`t be afraid to call your physical therapist a physical terrorist LOL
I was scheduled for a reverse total shoulder replacement in March after 4 failed rotator cuff surgeries. Needless to say it didn't happen. But I can hold out until the world gets back to normal, if it ever does...

Get well soon

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OP is doing right by having it checked out. Now home and seeing it on a bigger screen, ouch! My vehicle would be getting a new rotor and set of pads one way or another.

As for the knee. They are both shot. Too much fun, ball, full contact disciplines, and multiple dangerous careers. Forgot to add that I’m Somewhat allergic to narcotics.... and on this one gave in and taking the narcotics... so dealing those “side effects” too.

saddest part is I used to just pick up some of my favorite bourbon if I had to have a surgery. Docs all say those days should be behind me.

Instarand

Reaction score
This truck is a 2019 but has less than 5000 miles on it. I just happened to notice that one of the brake drums looks bad. The other 3 are perfect. Is this a warranty issue? For less than 500 miles I think something is wrong.

View attachment 149853

View attachment 149854

similar thing happened to me. I have a 2020 with 3,000 miles on it. Front passenger rotor was showing marks similar to yours. Running my finger nail over those lines I felt no grooves at all. Totally smooth. But I brought to the dealer anyway and they told me this isn’t uncommon on F150’s and the brake pads get some hot spots as they wear in. I left it alone and it basically went away.

0CC7B03D-56CB-4A78-97A8-216B3A9B71F8.jpeg

View attachment 149946

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
similar thing happened to me. I have a 2020 with 3,000 miles on it. Front passenger rotor was showing marks similar to yours. Running my finger nail over those lines I felt no grooves at all. Totally smooth. But I brought to the dealer anyway and they told me this isn’t uncommon on F150’s and the brake pads get some hot spots as they wear in. I left it alone and it basically went away.

Exactly; mine look the same. As long as it’s not a hot spot (discolored) and you can’t feel it with a finger nail, it’s nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
dmarkh

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They fixed it this morning. As a warranty they would only turn the rotor on the truck and replace the pad. They would sell me a new rotor and charge me for its install. All at full price. So I spent no money. But it is fixed.