Possible break warranty issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This truck is a 2019 but has less than 5000 miles on it. I just happened to notice that one of the brake drums looks bad. The other 3 are perfect. Is this a warranty issue? For less than 500 miles I think something is wrong.

bad-drum1.jpg

good-drum1.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
probably debris under the pad, scoring the rotor. Unless you found it in the first few miles, not a warranty issue.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it`s time for a set of PowerStop rotors and pads, or a big brake setup.

Whats your thoughts on getting both rotors turned and putting new pads on?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
that’s going to depend on how deep the scoring is. You’ll lose some ultimate rotor life, but it may be possible. It looks pretty deep in the pictures.

OP
OP
dmarkh

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
probably debris under the pad, scoring the rotor. Unless you found it in the first few miles, not a warranty issue.

But it takes a lot more than "the first few miles" for something like this to show up. This truck has not been off road yet and has less than 5000 miles. This should not be like this. I'm taking it in assuming it IS a warranty issue. We'll see what they have to say.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I say give it a try, see if they will replace that rotor and pads under warranty. You've got nothing to lose, maybe worse case they give you a big discount on the parts.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But it takes a lot more than "the first few miles" for something like this to show up. This truck has not been off road yet and has less than 5000 miles. This should not be like this. I'm taking it in assuming it IS a warranty issue. We'll see what they have to say.

Only 2 possibilities are a defective brake pad (warrantable) or road debris getting between the brake pad and rotor (non-warrantable).

As far as machining the rotors, the OEM rotors have enough material that they can be cut a couple times before reaching minimum thickness.

When you bring up rotor machining, many folks think of having rotors cut on the old bench lathes and experiencing a brake judder/pulsation afterward. This is not because material was removed, this is because the rotors were machined to be true to the lathe, not to your wheel hub. This results in rotor runout, which over time turns into thickness variation, which is the pedal pulsation you feel.

The new on-car lathes from Hunter and ProCut machine they rotor while it’s still on the hub. This allows for a rotor to hub runout measurement that is better than when it you’d get when installing a new rotor. They’re auto adjusting, so there’s no technician error. It is a warranty requirement that every dealer have an automatic adjusting on-car lathe, so if they tell you they just use the old bench lathe, find another dealer.