Possible blown head gasket? (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Aboshi

Aboshi

Reaction score
The big question is, are you losing coolant? If the coolant level has not dropped, then it’s not likely that you’re getting coolant into the oil.

The “milky” substance under the oil cap can occur due to a number of factors. Cold weather and short trips prevent moisture from burning off, and it often accumulates at the oil cap. An faulty PCV valve or clogged PCV tube will cause similar symptoms.

Replace the PCV, let it get up to temperature on a long drive, and re-check your oil and coolant levels.
I'm not losing any coolant at all, also no sweet smell from the tail pipe, or anywhere in the engine bay.
I also let the motor come up to temp again and removed the oil cap and saw some smoke/steam (when it wasn't at temp there was nothing. Also looking down into the head the oil looks perfect, so I am on the same thought process of bad PVC valve. I ordered a new PCV last night and it should be here tomorrow (unless I can find a dealership around me that actually has one in stock)
I will definitely post back with results once I get that new PCV valve in and take it for a 30-40 min drive to hopefully push all the moisture out. Fingers crossed this is the issue.

JRicci

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I really hope someone can help.
Long story short, I just picked up a 2013 Raptor with insanely high miles (244k) first owner had it until 2017 and drove it 42,500 miles a year. The second owner 14k a year. I pretty much bought it sight unseen (just some face time video) which really doesn’t help, it was more f just piece of mind it started and drove. After having it delivered a few days again I knew instantly it would need the shocks rebuilt and lower ball joints. Totally fine with that as it’s a used truck and of corse I knew there would be some repairs. I knew it was due for an oil change so tester I figured it’s a warm day up here in NY so why not. Drained the oil and looked black, no light brown or milkshake looking oil. Same with the filter. When I went to put oil back in I noticed milkshake light brown/white oil on the oil cap. I then started having a panic attack and cursing a up a storm and preying this isn’t not blown head gasket. So I told myself maybe it’s just moisture from a bad o-ring on the oil cap. I also checked the radiator and overflow, and saw zero signs of oil in either. I took the truck out for a short drive today to run some errands, and figured I better check the oil to make sure it was a one off. Checked the dipstick and oil looks clean and new. I then took off the oil cap and it was covered in milkshake oil again, only this time looked a lot more covered then I removed the cap yesterday. Is it possible the gasket is just starting to let go? Or is there another way coolant can be getting in and burning off? I don’t smell any sweet smell coming from the exhaust, or any real steam other then condensation from the 45-50f air at the moment. It’s not like the truck was cheap by any means and I really am dreading dumping thousands into it instantly. I really hope someone can help shed some light on this, or if just just normal for the 6.2? I read that moisture can get in and cause this from short trips. If that’s actually the case and not a head gasket, is there anything I can do to prevent moisture?
Condensation from excessive idling in humid or cool areas can cause that. You can pressure test the cooling system and watch to see if the needle leaks down. Just a thought maybe it will help maybe it won't. I loved my first gen raptor and wish you the best with yours.

OP
OP
Aboshi

Aboshi

Reaction score
Can mark this thread as Solved!
Ford dealer near me had a pcv valve in stock ($9.11) I checked the oil cap when I got home and there was only a drop of that milky oil on the cap. Cleaned it and popped the new pcv valve in. Took another drive 40-50 mile round trip and and checked the cap and there’s no more milky oil! Super stoked
Thanks for the fast replays from everyone in helping diagnose it.
I’ll post a pic of the old pcv, it really didn’t look that bad but who knows… I think I’ll throw a catch can on here to hopefully mitigate this in the future.

Attachments

• 24606452-06AB-411E-984F-CBDE1E5804D5.jpeg
    24606452-06AB-411E-984F-CBDE1E5804D5.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 27
  • BADFA7AF-C80E-4FD6-A08F-220B03ACE52E.jpeg
    BADFA7AF-C80E-4FD6-A08F-220B03ACE52E.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 27

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Can mark this thread as Solved!
Ford dealer near me had a pcv valve in stock ($9.11) I checked the oil cap when I got home and there was only a drop of that milky oil on the cap. Cleaned it and popped the new pcv valve in. Took another drive 40-50 mile round trip and and checked the cap and there’s no more milky oil! Super stoked
Thanks for the fast replays from everyone in helping diagnose it.
I’ll post a pic of the old pcv, it really didn’t look that bad but who knows… I think I’ll throw a catch can on here to hopefully mitigate this in the future.
Really happy for you that it was just a PCV valve and not the head gasket. I bet your breathing a little easier now! Not to many that think they might have an engine problem get a way for $9.11 :)

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would like to suggest changing the oil and filter now and then again after 500- 750 miles.
And only use full synthetic oil!!!
I recommend Mobile 1 Gold Extended Performance W5-30 and the Ford Racing oil filter or the Mobil 1 Gold Extended Performance oil filter.
Usually, you can get a good deal at Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, ect...
I changed the weight a couple of years ago, and find it helps with the valve tapping noise the few seconds at start up.
Everyone has their favorite but as long as it's a good full synthetic, that is important.

Last edited:

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there is no cross contamination in the oil when you checked it you’re fine. I’ve got to Expedition’s… an ‘04 that has 312k with the 5.4, and a ‘16 that has 169k with the 3.5. I’ve gotten the same oil cap residue through the life of both vehicles. I notice it tends to form if the vehicle sits; moisture builds up and leaves that mixture on the cap. Also came across an article that stated it wasn’t anything as serious as a blown head gasket for example.

OP
OP
Aboshi

Aboshi

Reaction score
@MTF
I have a Costco near me and I picked up a few cases of mobile 1 5w30 high mileage full synthetic ($30 case of 6). I also stocked up on a few of the ford performance filters as well.

@Ellison3
That’s pretty much what I’ve been reading. I’m sure it didn’t help this truck was sitting up in NH without running for a few weeks while I was waiting on delivery. I’m pretty sure at this point the PVC valve spring was just too weak to lift the ball in there. I’m also pretty sure my short distance driving wasn’t helping either. I also swapped out the oil cap o-ring for good measure. I’ll check the cap over the next few days to make 100% sure no more crud shows up. Also the weather here in NY has been all over the place, and I live directly on the water probably making matters worse.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@MTF
I have a Costco near me and I picked up a few cases of mobile 1 5w30 high mileage full synthetic ($30 case of 6). I also stocked up on a few of the ford performance filters as well.

@Ellison3
That’s pretty much what I’ve been reading. I’m sure it didn’t help this truck was sitting up in NH without running for a few weeks while I was waiting on delivery. I’m pretty sure at this point the PVC valve spring was just too weak to lift the ball in there. I’m also pretty sure my short distance driving wasn’t helping either. I also swapped out the oil cap o-ring for good measure. I’ll check the cap over the next few days to make 100% sure no more crud shows up. Also the weather here in NY has been all over the place, and I live directly on the water probably making matters worse.
@Aboshi
I just left Binghamton. Was there from September to February… yes the weather has been all over the place.