Possible blown head gasket? (Solved)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aboshi

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I really hope someone can help.
Long story short, I just picked up a 2013 Raptor with insanely high miles (244k) first owner had it until 2017 and drove it 42,500 miles a year. The second owner 14k a year. I pretty much bought it sight unseen (just some face time video) which really doesn’t help, it was more just for piece of mind it started and drove. After having it delivered I knew instantly it would need the shocks rebuilt and lower ball joints. Totally fine with that as it’s a used truck, and of corse I knew there would be some repairs. I knew it was due for an oil change so I figured it’s a warm day up here in NY so why not. Drained the oil and looked black, no light brown or milkshake looking oil. Same with the filter. When I went to put oil back in I noticed milkshake light brown/white oil on the oil cap. I then I started having a panic attack and cursing a up a storm praying it’s not blown head gasket. So I told myself maybe it’s just moisture from a bad o-ring on the oil cap or PCV valve. I also checked the radiator and overflow, and saw zero signs of oil in either. I took the truck out for a short drive today to run some errands, and figured I better check the oil to make sure it was a one off. Checked the dipstick and oil looks clean and new. I then took off the oil cap and it was covered in milkshake oil again, only this time looked a lot more covered then when I removed the cap yesterday. Is it possible the gasket is just starting to let go? Or is there another way coolant can be getting in and burning off? I don’t smell any sweet smell coming from the exhaust, or any real steam other then condensation from the 45-50f air at the moment. It’s not like the truck was cheap by any means and I really am dreading dumping thousands into it instantly. I really hope someone can help shed some light on this, or if just just normal for the 6.2? I read that moisture can get in and cause this from short trips. If that’s actually the case and not a head gasket, is there anything I can do to prevent moisture?

(Solved)
*Replaced PCV Valve*
Cause:
Moisture build up from short drives and cold weather, coupled with a worn out/bad PCV Valve

In the near future I will be adding a catch can.

Attachments

• 757562E5-E5FE-44B7-97A7-86F66C4E4D07.jpeg
    757562E5-E5FE-44B7-97A7-86F66C4E4D07.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You didn't hear this from me, but there are a few products you can add, I can't remember if you add them to the coolant or to the oil, but they do work to seal things off. I have used them before, years ago, and had good luck. Beats tearing into the motor but you should probably start saving your pennies.

OP
OP
Aboshi

Aboshi

Reaction score
Ha yeah, blue devil is one of those things. You have to first flush the coolant out with fresh water, add the sealer, run the engine at temp for 20 mins. Then let it cool and take it for a drive a few hours later. That stuff does work and I’ve used it in the past on a friends car. Honestly after some hard core google-fu I’m hoping it’s just moisture from being up here in the north east and not driving it more then 15-20 mins at time, and possibly the pcv valve. This engine has nearly a quarter million miles. So I doubt the previous owners took it on many short trips. It was extremely well maintained and every service record has been given to me. So I can attest to it being babied. I just don’t think the pcv has ever been change out and can possibly be restricted to the point of trapping moisture. I just ordered a new one and a new oil cap for a fresh o-ring. Fingers crossed this will be the issue. I will report back in a few days after I install and take it for a test drives.

OP
OP
Aboshi

Aboshi

Reaction score
Don't start dumping anything into your engine.

Do a comparison and leakdown tests. Pull the plugs and look how they are.
I will definitely have that done this week when I bring it in for the lower ball joints. I will be changing out the pcv valve and oil cap in the next day or so. Reply just hoping it’s the pcv valve.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The big question is, are you losing coolant? If the coolant level has not dropped, then it’s not likely that you’re getting coolant into the oil.

The “milky” substance under the oil cap can occur due to a number of factors. Cold weather and short trips prevent moisture from burning off, and it often accumulates at the oil cap. An faulty PCV valve or clogged PCV tube will cause similar symptoms.

Replace the PCV, let it get up to temperature on a long drive, and re-check your oil and coolant levels.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope @FordTechOne is accurate with this one and that’s all it is. Sending prayers to that motor, not a lot of parts available these days. Keep us informed. If the coolant is fine, I wonder if maybe check your air filter and filter box for moisture.