Possible black gen 3…how would I keep the paint looking pristine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had very good service from quality PPF... nothing has made it through to chip the paint on 4 vehicles. That said... maybe I am not taking it where others are.
A good ceramic will help with swirls, but you still have to wash it correctly. It is also easier to wash. I mostly just use a spotfree rinse with my pressure washer, and hand wash about once a month.

Kotykb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post some examples, but only the GT4 and Huracan.
If you track your cars or take them off-road, you can put Xpel Track Wrap temporary film on top of your clear bra, its super thick and helps save your bra from damage. I used it on the front end, rockers, hips, and behind the rear tires for track days.

My Raptor just arrived today in AZ!
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.09.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.10.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.11.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.12.27 PM.png

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1) Avoid the Starbucks and shopping mall parking lots for at least 24 hours after any rain.

2) Embrace the dirt: It is not only a truck, it’s a freakin’ black Raptor.
The last thing you want to hear is someone complimenting your off road, Baja truck on how clean it is.

racebannon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A dirty Raptor looks just as good as a clean Raptor. Honestly I’ll leave the mud on my truck for weeks. Currently have mud on my truck that’s almost two months old. The way god intended Raptors to look. My last real car wash was maybe 3 months ago. To get salt off the undercarriage. Otherwise I rely on rain. Now… my other girl is a German princess (black ugh) and she gets a little more attention when it comes to staying clean.

GWBush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple. Don’t drive it.

I have a Tuxedo Black Gen 1 and love it. Mint condition, it’s a process but there is no better color when it’s clean. I spend some time ensuring it’s clean but don’t stress about it. It’s a truck. Excellent paint, ceramic coat and Griot Garage cleaning products. And the amount of compliments is embarrassing at times. It’s a “conversation magnet” for damn sure over these past years

2ndFord

Reaction score
My unpopular opinion: PPF is a waste of money. I have used PPF on 3 vehicles spanning across about 10 years. Rock chips big enough to notice still make it through the film and nick the paint. Except it looks even worse because now there’s a chunk of raised/ripped plastic in addition to the paint damage. One time I nudged a shopping cart with my front bumper going maybe 2 mph. I got out to see if there were any marks, and there was a gouge that went clean through the PPF and nicked the paint. I was speechless. If PPF can’t protect my paint from that I don’t know what it’s actually doing. The self healing properties of some of the good films really do work. Except you better hope they work because polishing to a swirl free shine is no longer an option for you. Think about how many times you could have gotten a panel repainted with your deductible instead of blowing it upfront on a protection item your insurance company will never reimburse or discount you for.

On the other hand I love ceramic coating, they work wonders and have completely changed how I care for my
My unpopular opinion: PPF is a waste of money. I have used PPF on 3 vehicles spanning across about 10 years. Rock chips big enough to notice still make it through the film and nick the paint. Except it looks even worse because now there’s a chunk of raised/ripped plastic in addition to the paint damage. One time I nudged a shopping cart with my front bumper going maybe 2 mph. I got out to see if there were any marks, and there was a gouge that went clean through the PPF and nicked the paint. I was speechless. If PPF can’t protect my paint from that I don’t know what it’s actually doing. The self healing properties of some of the good films really do work. Except you better hope they work because polishing to a swirl free shine is no longer an option for you. Think about how many times you could have gotten a panel repainted with your deductible instead of blowing it upfront on a protection item your insurance company will never reimburse or discount you for.

On the other hand I love ceramic coating, they work wonders and have completely changed how I care for my cars.
I've never had PPF but appreciate your take on its possible shortcomings.

I've also never had true/real ceramic coating, with the associated paint correction done first. I've used "Ceramic Shine" from Torque Detail on the Raptor and my Cobra replica and am happy with it. Also bought their "Ceramic Turbo Waterless Detailer" for touchups between washes, and Chemical Guys "Hydro Suds Ceramic Car Wash Soap" to supposedly maintain this pseudo-ceramic protection between applications.

I've purchased these products in bulk to save upfront on the purchase. But before I've used up my supply I see that these manufacturers are now shifting away from these "quick ceramics" in favor of products featuring "Graphene". What does anyone know about these???

Heinz

Reaction score
Ceramic coat will help keep your truck cleaner and will make it a lot easier to wash. It won’t prevent swirl marks.

Regardless of color, if you want to prevent swirls, avoid automated car washes and any car wash which doesn’t use premium microfiber mitts and towels (i.e. wash the truck yourself or get a good detailer). Only takes one bad wash to get swirl marks. Before your truck is arriving at the dealer, tell them not to wash it. Don’t let them wash it if you get it serviced at the dealer.

If you wash the truck yourself, I’d recommend the micro madness incredimitt for washing and the rag company gauntlet towel for drying (plenty of other good ones out there, that’s just what I use). If your truck is ceramic coated or if you have a good sealant, you can mostly dry your truck with an electric leaf blower and just touch it up with a towel. Any time you’re touching the paint, you’re creating swirl marks. A pressure washer and water de-ionizer are very helpful - with those you can do a quick wash without touching the truck at all.

You can polish out swirls, but keep in mind you can only polish paint so many times before you get through the clear coat. How many times depends on who’s doing it and what supplies they’re using. Plus, the time and money would have been better spent avoiding the swirls to begin with.

Or, just enjoy the truck and don’t worry about dirt or swirls.

Last edited:

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ceramic coat will help keep your truck cleaner and will make it a lot easier to wash. It won’t prevent swirl marks.

Regardless of color, if you want to prevent swirls, avoid automated car washes and any car wash which doesn’t use premium microfiber mitts and towels (i.e. wash the truck yourself or get a good detailer). Only takes one bad wash to get swirl marks. Before your truck is arriving at the dealer, tell them not to wash it. Don’t let them wash it if you get it serviced at the dealer.

If you wash the truck yourself, I’d recommend the micro madness incredimitt for washing and the rag company gauntlet towel for drying (plenty of other good ones out there, that’s just what I use). If your truck is ceramic coated or if you have a good sealant, you can mostly dry your truck with an electric leaf blower and just touch it up with a towel. Any time you’re touching the paint, you’re creating swirl marks. A pressure washer and water de-ionizer are very helpful - with those you can do a quick wash without touching the truck at all.

You can polish out swirls, but keep in mind you can only polish paint so many times before you get through the clear coat. How many times depends on who’s doing it and what supplies their using. Plus, the time and money would have been better spent avoiding the swirls to begin with.

Or, just enjoy the truck and don’t worry about dirt or swirls.
I've been detailing for over 30 years. My truck is well maintained with zero optical swirl. (ceramic coated) I know this advice goes against what the current car wash guru's tell you, however, this has worked very well for me. I use a good boar's hair brush. (example below) They're expensive but do a good job keeping the truck swirl free. When you're washing something akin to a school bus, a very soft brush on a pole make quick work out of it.

My buddy with a high end detail shop uses the 2 bucket method with different mitts ect. He is amazed at how well my (single) 5 gallon bucket and bore's hair brush work.
This one works just as well for much less money.