Possible black gen 3…how would I keep the paint looking pristine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jchap711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer has a black gen 3 that is coming in on a dealer order that I am considering taking since I don’t even have a vin for my December order. Anyways, I despise black not because of how it looks but keeping it clean. I am soooo particular with my vehicles it’s unhealthy. So will ceramic coating keep the swirls off the paint or maybe a PPF? Or both or is it a battle you can’t fully win. Let me know what you guys do that have black or dark colored vehicles. Thanks And no I don’t want to spend 6-8k on a wrap.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My unpopular opinion: PPF is a waste of money. I have used PPF on 3 vehicles spanning across about 10 years. Rock chips big enough to notice still make it through the film and nick the paint. Except it looks even worse because now there’s a chunk of raised/ripped plastic in addition to the paint damage. One time I nudged a shopping cart with my front bumper going maybe 2 mph. I got out to see if there were any marks, and there was a gouge that went clean through the PPF and nicked the paint. I was speechless. If PPF can’t protect my paint from that I don’t know what it’s actually doing. The self healing properties of some of the good films really do work. Except you better hope they work because polishing to a swirl free shine is no longer an option for you. Think about how many times you could have gotten a panel repainted with your deductible instead of blowing it upfront on a protection item your insurance company will never reimburse or discount you for.

On the other hand I love ceramic coating, they work wonders and have completely changed how I care for my cars.

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
having had a black gen 1 I will tell you that its a part time job keeping it clean..

yoopercharged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will never purchase another black vehicle, at least not for a daily.

To answer your question: A ceramic coat isn't going to prevent swirls and you're still going to see them. The difference is that they will mostly be in the protective ceramic layer instead of the clear coat. PPF is going to do a better job of maintaining that pristine look since the premium brands have a very thin self-healing layer which will repair the majority of swirls when exposed to heat.

You mention that you don't want to spend 6-8k on a wrap but I'm afraid whole truck PPF isn't going to be much cheaper. And to be honest, if I'm spending 80k+ on a truck, I'm not going to settle for a color that I know I'll be unhappy with.

GTTXRAP

Drill Baby Drill
Reaction score
Have owned 25+ cars in black. No worries. 4 Raptors all black.

Any vehicles I own get washed once a week -- would be the same if I owned a white truck. So not any harder to keep clean.

I do polish and wax every six months and that's it. Looks new every time washed.

Black looks bad ass and my next 20 vehicles will all be black.

Last edited:

Rated R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're as bad (good) as I am about keeping your vehicles clean with polished and swirl free paint you'll be frustrated in owning a black Raptor. Black is the only color that I will never consider owning again.

OP
OP
jchap711

jchap711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My unpopular opinion: PPF is a waste of money. I have used PPF on 3 vehicles spanning across about 10 years. Rock chips big enough to notice still make it through the film and nick the paint. Except it looks even worse because now there’s a chunk of raised/ripped plastic in addition to the paint damage. One time I nudged a shopping cart with my front bumper going maybe 2 mph. I got out to see if there were any marks, and there was a gouge that went clean through the PPF and nicked the paint. I was speechless. If PPF can’t protect my paint from that I don’t know what it’s actually doing. The self healing properties of some of the good films really do work. Except you better hope they work because polishing to a swirl free shine is no longer an option for you. Think about how many times you could have gotten a panel repainted with your deductible instead of blowing it upfront on a protection item your insurance company will never reimburse or discount you for.

On the other hand I love ceramic coating, they work wonders and have completely changed how I care for my cars.
Thanks for the input. Very helpful

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately you just bought the hardest color to keep clean in the history of colors.

Keep it inside unless its sunny and the temp is between 60-80. Or wrap it. Or drive it, because its a truck.

Heavy wax can help with rain and dirt, so it wont stick.