Possible bad gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robl3577

Reaction score
Weird, I just had this happen as well. The "misalignment between engine components". I only use 91 or 93 octane. I did just fill up a few days ago, but it was at a major BP station that I use a lot. Not some no name store where the gas would be suspect. Not saying its not possible. At the same time I got a warning that said "The powertrain control module lost communication with the rear lighting control module for a period of time". I saw that same warning in another thread, but there was no further info. It's been about 3000 miles since my last oil change(done at mechanic). I pull my dip stick and the oil level appears to be 2 or 3 inches higher than it should be. Looks a little dirty/brown, but does not look milky and my radiator reservoir is full. Hard to believe the mechanic could have overfilled it and just now throwing a code?? Coincidentally, I've never heard my cam phasers rattle, but the other day when I cranked it up I did. It was the only time and I didn't hear them again so I didn't think anything of it. Dropped it at the mechanic on the way to work. Just don't have time to screw around with it right now.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is an outside chance that it's the winter gas formula. It's different than the summer formulation, and has less energy by volume. It could be that you got a tank full of gas that your onboard computer is struggling to adapt to.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Weird, I just had this happen as well. The "misalignment between engine components". I only use 91 or 93 octane. I did just fill up a few days ago, but it was at a major BP station that I use a lot. Not some no name store where the gas would be suspect. Not saying it’s not possible. At the same time I got a warning that said "The powertrain control module lost communication with the rear lighting control module for a period of time". I saw that same warning in another thread, but there was no further info. It's been about 3000 miles since my last oil change(done at mechanic). I pull my dip stick and the oil level appears to be 2 or 3 inches higher than it should be. Looks a little dirty/brown, but does not look milky and my radiator reservoir is full. Hard to believe the mechanic could have overfilled it and just now throwing a code?? Coincidentally, I've never heard my cam phasers rattle, but the other day when I cranked it up I did. It was the only time and I didn't hear them again so I didn't think anything of it. Dropped it at the mechanic on the way to work. Just don't have time to screw around with it right now.
2-3 inches above the dipstick full mark is overfilled to the point of possible engine damage. There is no sensor for oil level, so DTCs won’t set right away. When the crankcase is overfilled, the crank can contact the oil, which causes aeration. The aerated oil starves the engine of lubrication, resulting in damage.

bluesmurf

Reaction score
Has OP checked oil level? It sounds like an oil level issue, cam phaser / solenoid issue.

For @robl3577, can you smell gas in the oil? The ecoboost (a few years ago) had an issue with fuel in the oil. Curious if that’s what’s happening since what you described is exactly what happened there.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has OP checked oil level? It sounds like an oil level issue, cam phaser / solenoid issue.

For @Ruger, can you smell gas in the oil? The ecoboost (a few years ago) had an issue with fuel in the oil. Curious if that’s what’s happening since what you described is exactly what happened there.
It wasn't me.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2-3 inches up the dipstick is a ******* ton.

You are checking with engine off, wiping dipstick clean and then checking correct?

If so then I will just say "oil doesn't grow". Need to figure that out regardless if that is or isn't related to the check engine light.