Possible bad gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Webb24

Reaction score
I have had the engine light come on and go back off a couple of times. Sometimes the truck will hesitate when the truck is at very low RPMS. The two error codes that come up on the app are:

The engine control system has detected a misalignment between the engines internal components. This fault can also occur from improper engine oil usage or improper engine oil maintenance. The engine start/stop feature may be disabled when the fault is present.

The engine control system has detected that one of the engines internal components is not responding as expected. The can be caused by improper engine oil pressure or improperly operating engine timing components.

Seems like when I put premium gas in it this goes away but I thought the truck should run fine on 87? Does everyone use premium only gas? The truck isn't under warranty any more so I am wondering what my options are.

Thanks in advance.

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was researching that fault and I did see the word Cam phasers can cause this!!! Have yours ever been replaced----Not sure if thats it but........

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I would suggest using FORSCAN to pull the DTCs first, to see what’s being flagged a little more precisely.

OP
OP
W

Webb24

Reaction score
I did have the cam phasers replaced in 2019 but I think that was before the official recall and they didn't reprogram anything just did the replacement? The truck no longer rattles on cold start up. Im sure this question has been asked a lot but do you all have a preferred FORSCAN adapter you all use?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did have the cam phasers replaced in 2019 but I think that was before the official recall and they didn't reprogram anything just did the replacement? The truck no longer rattles on cold start up. Im sure this question has been asked a lot but do you all have a preferred FORSCAN adapter you all use?
I have had good success with the OBD Link EX. As far as the cam phaser rattle repair, that is unrelated to engine performance. Pulling DTCs will provide a better idea of what may be going on.

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This OBDLink EX works perfect!!