GEN 2 Possible Axel issue. Name that tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this was my first YouTube upload and for some reason the quality sucks on YouTube.

I went and played around on the way home from work and started getting this noise, I was in Sand/Snow mode and figure it might be axle CV joint etc.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I will make a appointment and get it to the dealer.

RCV makes wider engagement pawls that you can use with your IWEs. They make them a big stronger.

No matter what happens, I'd advise against IWE eliminators. I had them. For every bit of strength that they add, they cause just as much annoyance/frustration due to having to constantly replace torn CV boots.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
RCV makes wider engagement pawls that you can use with your IWEs. They make them a big stronger.

No matter what happens, I'd advise against IWE eliminators. I had them. For every bit of strength that they add, they cause just as much annoyance/frustration due to having to constantly replace torn CV boots.

I'm wondering why would they tear up the boots?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I'm wondering why would they tear up the boots?

the boots aren't engineered to withstand constant rubbing ( which happens if the axle shaft is spinning constantly). the ridges will rub on each other, then they tear. Ford assumes that the IWEs are functioning, the axles aren't constantly spinning, and I'm sure they engineer the boots' durability based on the system's dynamics. IWE eliminators change the dynamics of the OEM system and require a far more durable material.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the boots aren't engineered to withstand constant rubbing ( which happens if the axle shaft is spinning constantly). the ridges will rub on each other, then they tear. Ford assumes that the IWEs are functioning, the axles aren't constantly spinning, and I'm sure they engineer the boots' durability based on the system's dynamics. IWE eliminators change the dynamics of the OEM system and require a far more durable material.

Thanks, I would have never thought about that. I was wondering if it was heat related.