Popping Sound in Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is a good suggestion, but it is just going to the dealership to let them look. I tried today to replicate it and couldn't, so since it isn't a regular thing I don't know if I could tell whether 2H or 4A made a difference.

Would IWE leak randomly?
They operate on vacuum, so if there is a vacuum leak, depending on rpm and a kink in a line, it can act intermittently. Not saying this is it, just symptoms.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So all the dealer found was a caliper pin that wasn't greased much, so they greased it and all seemed well for a bit.

But the noise has resurfaced and it seems that I that I can feel it through the steering wheel. Not sure if that helps any. It's still random, but has happened in forward and reverse, wheel turned or wheel straight.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumping this back up because I went to the dealership today to let the shop foreman take a ride and listen and of course it didn't happen while we were in the parking lot. He mentioned IWE as well and said to give it a few months and see if it gets any more often. He said he thought the TSB is to remove and cap the vacuum lines so the hubs are always engaged?

RogueStoge28

Reaction score
Reviving this one as I’m having the same issue occasionally, except the yellow wrench pops up on mine but goes away the next time it’s cranked then everything is normal. Ever find the root cause? Dealer is no help with the code gone and wants to charge $200 for diagnostic with a 1-2 week wait

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reviving this one as I’m having the same issue occasionally, except the yellow wrench pops up on mine but goes away the next time it’s cranked then everything is normal. Ever find the root cause? Dealer is no help with the code gone and wants to charge $200 for diagnostic with a 1-2 week wait
Nope, still get it occasionally though I don't get a yellow wrench. I've had it into the dealership several times.

REX111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had something similar to this noise recently. I have a 2017 raptor that I recently changed the oil on. I then heard a noise just like this. I could recreate the noise by rolling forward or backwards and stab the brakes. The noise seemed to be coming from center and low in the engine compartment. It turned out to be the front skid plate binding some how. I crawled under the truck and loosened the front skid plate and retightened with the truck on the ground. The noise went away. I hope this helps. I’ve had my fair share or front end noises.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a Gen3 that's making this noise after some aftermarket parts have been added. I've got RPG; UCA, 1.5" perch collars, & tie rods. The truck was silent when stock. It has 6,200 miles on it. It does it in 2H and 4A. It's pretty easy to replicate when turning and on any type of slope where the truck gets twisted a bit.

The skid plate comment is interesting and has me thinking about mine. I had to drop my skid plate while out off-roading a while back. One of my BD fog light wires had dropped down & needed to be zip tied up. I wonder if my skid plate is binding up some how?