Popping Sound in Reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed what I would call a "popping" sound when backing up with the wheel turned clockwise. It doesn't have to be at full lock and I haven't really figured out how to replicate it regularly.

It seems somewhat random, but it happened again today leaving daycare and I was able to stop at a shopping center and recreate it for the video below. You can hear it about the 13-14 second mark. It almost sounds like something is in a bind.

It sounds like it comes from the front driver tire area, but not certain, and haven't really noticed it with the wheel turned counterclockwise, though I don't turn and back up that direction as often.

Any thoughts? Suspension is stock and truck has about 10k on it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t like the sound of it myself, it sounds like something put enough stress on a part and “moved” it.

if anyone is going to have insight from just the video here, it would be @FordTechOne
Hopefully he’s got a few to give it a listen.

Obviously, we’re WAGging here, based solely on the video and audio, but I’d start my research at the cv joint. I have to admit though, I’m not convinced.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t like the sound of it myself, it sounds like something put enough stress on a part and “moved” it.

if anyone is going to have insight from just the video here, it would be @FordTechOne
Hopefully he’s got a few to give it a listen.

Obviously, we’re WAGging here, based solely on the video and audio, but I’d start my research at the cv joint. I have to admit though, I’m not convinced.
My thought as well. Something is binding and making it move in a way that it shouldn't...guess a trip to the dealership is in order.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any mods? It sounds like a component is binding and then shifting as torque is applied.
All stock. Seems to be in the hub area and not suspension related as it doesn't seem to do it turning the wheel, but only when the tire is moving.

It also doesn't seem to do it going forward, only reverse.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All stock. Seems to be in the hub area and not suspension related as it doesn't seem to do it turning the wheel, but only when the tire is moving.

It also doesn't seem to do it going forward, only reverse.
Have you tried backing up in 4a versus 2h to see if its the same or goes away?

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried backing up in 4a versus 2h to see if its the same or goes away?
No, so far it has been all 2H. It also seems to do it more after the truck has been running...like I leave it running while I go get my son from daycare and it'll do it when we get back in to leave. Or I stopped in a parking lot to recreate it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, so far it has been all 2H. It also seems to do it more after the truck has been running...like I leave it running while I go get my son from daycare and it'll do it when we get back in to leave. Or I stopped in a parking lot to recreate it.
I would give it a try, if it goes away then it might narrow it down to iwe vacuum leak, unless you're just going to drop off at the dealer.

OP
OP
dblack

dblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would give it a try, if it goes away then it might narrow it down to iwe vacuum leak, unless you're just going to drop off at the dealer.
It is a good suggestion, but it is just going to the dealership to let them look. I tried today to replicate it and couldn't, so since it isn't a regular thing I don't know if I could tell whether 2H or 4A made a difference.

Would IWE leak randomly?