Pop sound from front left when using 4a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
and you’re not piling up miles on your truck while they try and figure this out.
even a blind squirrel finds a nut...

OP
OP
REX111

REX111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So week seven without my truck. Ford is paying for a rental, hopefully not a Prius. No idea when my truck will be repaired. Ford now thinks that the front differential is the problem.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So week seven without my truck. Ford is paying for a rental, hopefully not a Prius. No idea when my truck will be repaired. Ford now thinks that the front differential is the problem.
Sweet, drop in a new front dif and when the noise is still there they can put 2 new hubs on the front, lol. Hope they give you a Bronco to rip aorund in at least. Seriously, it sucks, but you have us :boobs: :boobs:

OP
OP
REX111

REX111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received a text from the service writer. It just said “we think we figured it out” I ask what it was and didn’t receive a reply. Maybe I’ll get my truck back this week. ‍♂️

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
fingers x'd. I remembered your post last week, late and took off hard for a couple 90 degree turns.

First, no "popping" or other types of sound indicative of hard parts protesting.
Second, 4a is no guarantee against going sideways, stability control be damned.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I received a text from the service writer. It just said “we think we figured it out” I ask what it was and didn’t receive a reply. Maybe I’ll get my truck back this week. ‍♂️
Whatever you do, go for a drive with the mechanic or service adviser before you sign off on it again! I guess you can tell with your Ford pass if they have test driven it out of the parking lot at least.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hadn't seen this thread, I just watched the vid. Mine doesn't make any noise from turning, you can feel a thumping/crabbing type thing, but it doesn't make any noise. That thump sounds like something is really tight/stressed in the front. Hopefully they get it figured out.

OP
OP
REX111

REX111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pick up my truck this afternoon. So far I have not heard any abnormal noises. I read through the notes that the tech put down on his diag. When I took my truck in three weeks ago for a recall 22S11. At that time the service manager and tech took my truck for a test drive. The noise was still present. I then left my truck at the dealership for further diag. The ford dealership then gave my truck to a sister dealership to put “fresh eyes” on it. I also talked with that service manager and told him how to duplicate the noise. They drove it for a couple of days with a number of different techs. They thought it might be the front diff. My truck was then returned to the ford dealership and the tech did some testing with and without front drive shaft. He also tested in all drive modes. Noise was found in 4a/4h/4l. Tech thought it might be a failed Torsen diff. The also compared my truck with another one that they had in the lot that did not make the noise. The tech retorqued all front diff bolts. He found a bolt on the rearward side of the diff going forward was loose. New hardware was ordered and installed. Tech test drive multiple time and was unable to replicate the noise.
So far I haven’t hear anything and I hope I don’t. This has taken almost 8 weeks to solve. Since I picked it up at lunch time both the service writer and tech were unavailable. The service manager check me out and got my truck. Fingers crossed that it’s finally fixed.