GEN 2 POLL: SPD Trombone - do you drone?

Do you have drone with your SPD Trombone?

• No, 2017 under 50k miles

• No, 2017 over 50k miles

• No, 2018 under 50k miles

• No, 2018 over 50k miles

• No, 2019 under 50k miles

• No, 2019 over 50k miles

• No, 2020 under 50k miles

• No, 2020 over 50k miles

• Yes, 2017 under 50k miles

• Yes, 2017 over 50k miles

• Yes, 2018 under 50k miles

• Yes 2018 over 50k miles

• Yes, 2019 under 50k miles

• Yes, 2019 over 50k miles

• Yes, 2020 under 50 miles

• Yes, 2020 over 50k miles

• Other - describe in a post

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just cast my vote for no drone; although there is a small amount of steady resonance at 75-80 mph. I'd descibe it as a smooth sound. Its really not loud at all. I was expecting it to be a lot louder. Honestly at some city traffic speeds the overall sound seems quieter than stock, but then the sound ramps up with heavy throttle input. Also the perceived noise output has shifted towards the rear of the truck. It only really sings when I step on it. I'm undecided though as to if I like the new sound or not. Part of me kinda likes it, and part of me resents it for sounding more like a V6 Mustang with aftermarket exhaust. Still, it might get really interesting with a Magnaflow Direct Fit muffler.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just cast my vote for no drone; although there is a small amount of steady resonance at 75-80 mph. I'd descibe it as a smooth sound. Its really not loud at all. I was expecting it to be a lot louder. Honestly at some city traffic speeds the overall sound seems quieter than stock, but then the sound ramps up with heavy throttle input. Also the perceived noise output has shifted towards the rear of the truck. It only really sings when I step on it. I'm undecided though as to if I like the new sound or not. Part of me kinda likes it, and part of me resents it for sounding more like a V6 Mustang with aftermarket exhaust. Still, it might get really interesting with a Magnaflow Direct Fit muffler.

I really wanna hear the Magnaflow d fit and SPD combo.

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm either getting used to it, or experiencing less drone over time. Yesterday, I towed by 7k lbs wake boat 200 miles, including over the mountains, from VT to Boston. The drone was downright tolerable to me. My wife still wasn't happy about it.

Mine is a '19 that has SPD catted downpipes and stock muffler, along with the resonator delete.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm either getting used to it, or experiencing less drone over time. Yesterday, I towed by 7k lbs wake boat 200 miles, including over the mountains, from VT to Boston. The drone was downright tolerable to me. My wife still wasn't happy about it.

Mine is a '19 that has SPD catted downpipes and stock muffler, along with the resonator delete.

I definitely noticed the sound mellow out after 500-1000 miles, especially the sound around 2k rpm’s.

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to comment about this now that I've had it on for a few months. I'm actually glad that I installed the trombone; its a good improvement over stock without being intrusive or obnoxious. Kinda changes the tone to a nice little burble of dual pipes, instead of the stock moo cow in a pipe sound. I recommend this.

PS- The sound did change after some breakin.