PMCS Update: Panoramic Roof & Sunroof Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I conducted a bi-annual panoramic roof/sun-roof/convertible top maintenance on my 2018 Raptor—along with all of immediate family vehicles with panos/sunroofs, retractable hardtops, and motorized convertible tops.

TEST VEHICLES. Some are very old but all are garaged (Raptor focused, but applies to any vehicle):

—2018 Raptor
—1988 911
—1989 560SL
—1997 Land Cruiser
—2018 E400 Cabrio
—2020 LX570

FINDINGS:

—Observation at 6 months: mechanisms were clean and functioning perfectly with plenty of residual lubricant remaining from previous service. Cleaned it anyway and added more lubricant.
—Engineering: Ford pano roofs are no better/worse than those of traditional sunroofs, motorized retractable hardtop convertibles, and motorized canvas convertible tops. The pano roof is well designed and robust.
—Failure Points: Seals, hinges, tracks, etc.
—PMCS Interval: Every 6 months as complex mechanisms require service.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

—Krytox(TM) 205, Super Lube(TM) multi synthetic grease. I use generic white lithium grease, UV protectant for the exterior seals which I apply between bi-annual services.
—2x annual for a garage kept vehicle, as there is plenty of lubricant and the seals/surfaces are clean.
—4x annual if parked outdoors 100% or the majority of the time.
— Inspect, clean, and lubricate all components every 6 months (Feb & Aug).
—Afterwards, I cycle the functions 6 times min to check for any sounds, binding, spots needing additional lube, etc.

DISCLAIMERS:

—I use the products I use because they work for me. There are suitable alternatives.
—I have no personal/professional/financial interest in any product. They work for me.
—I do not work for Ford(TM).
—Any opinions on social media do not reflect the opinions of my OEM employer, and I speak based on personal experience.

In conclusion, I highly recommend you PMCS your panoramic roof on your Raptor—along with the mechanical roofs of any vehicles you and your family may own.

Last edited:

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Thank You Sir, for a detailed AAR. I was just getting ready to do mine again. Due to the Extreme Vegas Heat, I do mine quarterly, I think that’s 4x a year:happy160::headbang:, with the alternative you recommended. I don’t know if the heat effects the grease the same was it does oil applied to your Firearm, but I’m not taking any chances.

Follow-Me..I am the INFRANTRY…4EEB1E9C-10E0-40D6-AEDB-C70B2B93435A.jpeg

OP
OP
KAH 24

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@John M BUNMAN

I believe you will be fine simply because products that meet the specs are excellent in all climates. If I lived in the desert and kept my vehicles outdoors—I’d likely go with 4x per year (simply from the environmental impact of being outdoors 24/7).

Don’t over think it, as mechanisms need to be clean and lubricated. I just happen to like what I use given a variety of vehicles.

NOTE: As we all know, there is no OEM or aftermarket grease/lubricant known to man that can overcome lack of maintenance.

Last edited:

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Blasted my panoramic roof open and it broke the clips . Its in the shop getting fixed right now. Apparently the part is revised or the fix procedure is revised as indicated by service writer. Will advise of outcome.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I just did Krytox maint. on mine. It’s been 12-15 months and she’s garage kept. By now, I know the ‘sticking’ sound when you pop to vent and after I broke and subsequently learned this workaround, I used it 100% of the time. About a year after the repair, while the truck was an outside truck, I heard the sticking sound popping to vent. I closed and went no further until I was home and with tools. got it open, lubed up the contact areas and was fine.

That was within a year and probably only about 4-5 months since last use while living outside.

here I’ve got the truck inside and that seems to make a pretty positive difference.

Sorry to hear about your trouble @thatJeepguy hopefully it will be fixed soon.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just did Krytox maint. on mine. It’s been 12-15 months and she’s garage kept. By now, I know the ‘sticking’ sound when you pop to vent and after I broke and subsequently learned this workaround, I used it 100% of the time. About a year after the repair, while the truck was an outside truck, I heard the sticking sound popping to vent. I closed and went no further until I was home and with tools. got it open, lubed up the contact areas and was fine.

That was within a year and probably only about 4-5 months since last use while living outside.

here I’ve got the truck inside and that seems to make a pretty positive difference.

Sorry to hear about your trouble @thatJeepguy hopefully it will be fixed soon.
All god brotha , picking it up today $100 deductible. Ill have to see whether or not its lubed up.