PMCS Update: Panoramic Roof & Sunroof Maintenance

KAH 24

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I conducted a bi-annual panoramic roof/sun-roof/convertible top maintenance on my 2018 Raptor—along with all of immediate family vehicles with panos/sunroofs, retractable hardtops, and motorized convertible tops.

TEST VEHICLES. Some are very old but all are garaged (Raptor focused, but applies to any vehicle):

—2018 Raptor
—1988 911
—1989 560SL
—1997 Land Cruiser
—2018 E400 Cabrio
—2020 LX570

FINDINGS:

—Observation at 6 months: mechanisms were clean and functioning perfectly with plenty of residual lubricant remaining from previous service. Cleaned it anyway and added more lubricant.
—Engineering: Ford pano roofs are no better/worse than those of traditional sunroofs, motorized retractable hardtop convertibles, and motorized canvas convertible tops. The pano roof is well designed and robust.
—Failure Points: Seals, hinges, tracks, etc.
—PMCS Interval: Every 6 months as complex mechanisms require service.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

—Krytox(TM) 205, Super Lube(TM) multi synthetic grease. I use generic white lithium grease, UV protectant for the exterior seals which I apply between bi-annual services.
—2x annual for a garage kept vehicle, as there is plenty of lubricant and the seals/surfaces are clean.
—4x annual if parked outdoors 100% or the majority of the time.
— Inspect, clean, and lubricate all components every 6 months (Feb & Aug).
—Afterwards, I cycle the functions 6 times min to check for any sounds, binding, spots needing additional lube, etc.

DISCLAIMERS:

—I use the products I use because they work for me. There are suitable alternatives.
—I have no personal/professional/financial interest in any product. They work for me.
—I do not work for Ford(TM).
—Any opinions on social media do not reflect the opinions of my OEM employer, and I speak based on personal experience.

In conclusion, I highly recommend you PMCS your panoramic roof on your Raptor—along with the mechanical roofs of any vehicles you and your family may own.

Last edited:

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Thank You Sir, for a detailed AAR. I was just getting ready to do mine again. Due to the Extreme Vegas Heat, I do mine quarterly, I think that’s 4x a year:happy160::headbang:, with the alternative you recommended. I don’t know if the heat effects the grease the same was it does oil applied to your Firearm, but I’m not taking any chances.

Follow-Me..I am the INFRANTRY… 4EEB1E9C-10E0-40D6-AEDB-C70B2B93435A.jpeg

OP
OP
KAH 24

KAH 24

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@John M BUNMAN

I believe you will be fine simply because products that meet the specs are excellent in all climates. If I lived in the desert and kept my vehicles outdoors—I’d likely go with 4x per year (simply from the environmental impact of being outdoors 24/7).

Don’t over think it, as mechanisms need to be clean and lubricated. I just happen to like what I use given a variety of vehicles.

NOTE: As we all know, there is no OEM or aftermarket grease/lubricant known to man that can overcome lack of maintenance.

Last edited: