PMCS: Panoramic Sunroof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one…I took my truck in Today due to leaky sunroof. I checked the hoses in front and everything was clear but couldn’t seem to figure out how to check the rear. The hoses are all definitely connected. I scheduled an appointment a week out and went in. Dealer told me that I had to pay $360 if they find debris in the hoses despite being under warranty because the manual clearly explains that the owner must clean the hoses and details how to do it. I refused to sign and grabbed my manual. It doesn’t say anywhere in there how to clean the hoses or that I have to clean the hoses. The service advisor looked through his computer version and my version and couldn’t find it. He then said he would email me later today with the page in the manual that gives directions on how to clean the hoses. I don’t mind doing this myself because I hate going to the dealer, but now I’m just angry they wasted my time, lied about the manual, and tried to suggest my warranty was expired. The guy didn’t believe I bought the truck new myself
Sounds like he's in the top ten percent of Service Advisors. I wish I was kidding. :(

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@melvimbe

Candidly sir, I do believe that the average person should know that pano/sunroofs don’t start rattling, binding, nor do drain tubes clog by themselves—and that maintenance is required to keep things in tip top shape.
They actually do start rattling by themselves. My brand new '15 Lariat Screw had a rattling sunroof before I had 250 miles on the odometer.

I've never had problems with any other sunroof, pano sunroof, or convertible top mechanism in my entire life, but both of my F150's sunroofs have broken.

pavendort

Reaction score
Mine started rattling about a month after I bought it (used). Cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and applied Krytox as directed here on the forum and explained by 2 different service advisors. Rattle goes away for 1-2 weeks, then returns. Truck is kept outside for now, but will be garaged when I move in the next few months. Having to do this every week or 2 is excessive. I wonder if maybe some teflon tape like I used in fighters in the Air Force would alleviate this problem all together... Not an elegant solution, but essentially I only use the sunroof only to open it to stop the rattle.

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he's in the top ten percent of Service Advisors. I wish I was kidding. :(
Resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one…I took my truck in Today due to leaky sunroof. I checked the hoses in front and everything was clear but couldn’t seem to figure out how to check the rear. The hoses are all definitely connected. I scheduled an appointment a week out and went in. Dealer told me that I had to pay $360 if they find debris in the hoses despite being under warranty because the manual clearly explains that the owner must clean the hoses and details how to do it. I refused to sign and grabbed my manual. It doesn’t say anywhere in there how to clean the hoses or that I have to clean the hoses. The service advisor looked through his computer version and my version and couldn’t find it. He then said he would email me later today with the page in the manual that gives directions on how to clean the hoses. I don’t mind doing this myself because I hate going to the dealer, but now I’m just angry they wasted my time, lied about the manual, and tried to suggest my warranty was expired. The guy didn’t believe I bought the truck new myself

Update...The service advisor emailed me back letting me know he was incorrect and the instructions on how to clean the sunroof are only detailed in a service bulletin. He said that regardless, if debris is found, the warranty would not cover it. I brought it in today and they told me that the glass roof itself is failing and needs to be replaced. They taped the gap on either side where the fixed glass and the sunroof meet and ordered a new sunroof. Advisor said he would give me a call when the parts come in and it would all be covered by warranty. I'm confused as to how the "glass roof itself" would fail, but we will see what happens.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Update...The service advisor emailed me back letting me know he was incorrect and the instructions on how to clean the sunroof are only detailed in a service bulletin. He said that regardless, if debris is found, the warranty would not cover it. I brought it in today and they told me that the glass roof itself is failing and needs to be replaced. They taped the gap on either side where the fixed glass and the sunroof meet and ordered a new sunroof. Advisor said he would give me a call when the parts come in and it would all be covered by warranty. I'm confused as to how the "glass roof itself" would fail, but we will see what happens.
that’s búllshit, he just doesn’t want to admit to a customer that he was incorrect. Standard procedure is to replace the track assembly.

edit to add: by standard I mean that’s what the service advisors throw at the problem, regardless of what troubleshooting is, or isn’t performed.

Hburgrap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I skimmed all 5 pages here and didn’t see any mention of a sunroof reset after cleaning and greasing. Sorry if I missed it, but is that a real step?I seen a dude on youtube push the buttons for the cablights in a certain order, clap his hands, turn around 3x and the roof started cycling front to back a few times. Necessary?
Thanks