PMCS: Panoramic Sunroof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,

PMCS (Preventive Maintenance Checks & Services) is important for every vehicle per OEM guidelines.

After a great deal of analysis, there is no flaw in the Ford Raptor panoramic sunroof design (which I love and works as smooth as a well cared for Swiss watch).

The failures, creaks, squeaks, etc., occur due to a lack of maintenance by the owner—yes the owner.

NOTE1: The pano could be engineered by Ford, GM, Toyota, Lexus, VW/Audi/Porsche, or Santa Claus Auto Corp—but if not maintained by the owner it is going to have issues—just like anything else that neglected. It is not the responsibility of an OEM to teach “pride in ownership”.

NOTE2: PMCS applies not only to vehicles, but to the human body. When systems fail, it’s in part due to the care provided over a lifetime—no warranty from the OEM manufacturer.

NOTE3: Regular cleaning of the drain tubes (my Raptor is garaged, so 1x yr works). If you keep your truck outdoors, especially if it lives under trees/sandy/dirty areas (I’d clean it at least 3-4x yr).

NOTE4: Ensure the lube you use meets Krytox specs—works well under heat/cold conditions (remember the sun heats the roof of our Raptors to 200F plus easily (hotter for darker vehicles) under direct sunlight—so the lubricant has to have the ability to cling/protect not evaporate under heat—while also being fluid/non binding when cold).

NOTE5: I PMCS with a white lithium based grease that does not attack plastics/rubber/synthetics. I do this with every family vehicle with a sunroof—and no failures. I also coat the seals with UV protectant—as they take a beating.

NOTE6: PMCS/Exercise the sunroof—and the rear sliding window as well.

The panoramic sunroof is a thing of beauty, but requires PMCS. If you maintain it—you’ll enjoy it.

If you don’t like PMCS, get a hardtop truck with no sunroof—but please don’t whine that Ford (or any OEM) created a “poor design.” Ford built a damn good pano.

Last note: My wife’s 100% garage kept silver ‘89 MB 560SL (with over 90k miles) has the OEM fabric top that works better than the day it was installed. The rear “window” is as clear as the day it came from the factory, and every seal is factory—and is as supple as the day it came from the line. We drive this car hard and enjoy it. It lives in the garage (safe from UV)—and it takes a lot of work to keep it that way. Part of the joy of ownership—and the best wife on earth.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While I agree totally, most people think the regular maintenance from the dealer is enough and this is so far from the truth. The factory dealers only keep your vehicle going for the warranty period, if you want a long lasting vehicle in new condition you must maintain it yourself.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here’s the TSB with products they use. I have them and use them ever so often. Have had a pano since 2015 and never had issues.

Attachments

• Vista Roof TSB.pdf
    575 KB · Views: 189

Russ103

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don’t like PMCS, get a hardtop truck with no sunroof—but please don’t whine that Ford (or any OEM) created a “poor design.” Ford built a damn good pano.
I wish it was as easy as that, but finding an otherwise fully loaded Raptor without a sunroof is akin to finding a unicorn.
I haven’t done a cleaning/lube on mine in the 2 years I’ve had it yet, but I can also count on one hand how many times it’s been opened in those 2 years (thanks exclusively to my wife as I can’t stand sunroofs). Question is, does keeping it closed and never really using it keep it from needing a cleaning/lube? Truck is garaged.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The failures, creaks, squeaks, etc., occur due to a lack of maintenance by the owner—yes the owner.

So given that statement, are you saying that pano roof repair would not be covered under warranty if an owner fails to properly maintain the roof? Pretty sure the answer to that is no. If I fail to change my oil for example, I would void the warranty. Getting oil changes is common knowledge. Lubing your sunroof is not.

Does the F150 owner's manual state exactly how to properly maintain the pano? Does the dealer/sales ever tell people that the roof requires maintenance when making a sale? If I go into the dealer for a maintenance check, will the maintain the pano for me?

I'm not denying that it makes sense for the owner to maintain the roof, I'm just saying that it is covered under warranty, AFAIK, and the need for maintenance seems to be a best kept secret.

OP
OP
KAH 24

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So given that statement, are you saying that pano roof repair would not be covered under warranty if an owner fails to properly maintain the roof? Pretty sure the answer to that is no. If I fail to change my oil for example, I would void the warranty. Getting oil changes is common knowledge. Lubing your sunroof is not.

Does the F150 owner's manual state exactly how to properly maintain the pano? Does the dealer/sales ever tell people that the roof requires maintenance when making a sale? If I go into the dealer for a maintenance check, will the maintain the pano for me?

I'm not denying that it makes sense for the owner to maintain the roof, I'm just saying that it is covered under warranty, AFAIK, and the need for maintenance seems to be a best kept secret.
@melvimbe

PMCS is common sense and not a “best kept secret”.

If you never wash your Raptor and leave it outdoors 24/7–don’t be surprised if the paint dulls and deteriorates over time.

Same concept with a panoramic roof.

With neglect it will fail. You need to take some maintenance initiative or simply take the “hope and pray it breaks while under warranty” philosophy.

Enjoy the day.

dixonk

HMFIC
Reaction score
I wish it was as easy as that, but finding an otherwise fully loaded Raptor without a sunroof is akin to finding a unicorn.
I haven’t done a cleaning/lube on mine in the 2 years I’ve had it yet, but I can also count on one hand how many times it’s been opened in those 2 years (thanks exclusively to my wife as I can’t stand sunroofs). Question is, does keeping it closed and never really using it keep it from needing a cleaning/lube? Truck is garaged.
Not using it will not stop the dust and dirt from getting inside and making it squeak and rattle. I never use mine and it will start rattling every now and then.

OP
OP
KAH 24

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score

@Russ103

Sir, fair question and I just validated this answer with one of my department colleagues with far greater expertise on such matters—i.e., seals (not the marine animal variety) and gaskets.

I hope this is helpful.

In this case you are just driving around with a large glass roof with synthetic rubber seals designed to keep debris/water out. Over time—water, sand/fine particles, etc., will find their way around the seals and into the drain tubes. Also, the seals will harden without UV protection and lubrication. Imagine how hot the roof of your Raptor gets on a sunny day—and the merciless beating the gaskets take (heat/cool thermal cycles) from the sun.

The analogy I think of is that if one owns a Rolex which is water proof—eventually the gaskets need replacing. The internal gear/mechanism oils harden and evaporate, and the watch eventually stops functioning (or the mainspring breaks from time/wear which has happened to my automatics). How long this takes—varies, but is inevitable. A high end watch has a warranty, but the watch will break after the warranty expires (if it breaks under warranty, it will be repaired by the OEM of course).

Have a nice day.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@melvimbe

PMCS is common sense and not a “best kept secret”.

I didn't say preventive maintenance in general was a secret. I stated that maintenance of the pano roof was a 'best kept secret'. Seriously, do you honestly think the average person has any idea that you need to regularly lube up your roof like you need to get your oil changed?

If you never wash your Raptor and leave it outdoors 24/7–don’t be surprised if the paint dulls and deteriorates over time.

Same concept with a panoramic roof.

Again, not the point I was making. I didn't say that the roof doesn't need maintenance, I'm saying it's not common knowledge. I've had at least 3 other vehicles with sunroofs, and never done any maintenance on them, nor was it ever suggested to me that I should. Didn't even hear about it when I bought my Raptor. When I had to bring my Raptor in to fix the pano roof, and at no time did they even suggest that I give a period lubing and such. I only learned about it here, which is rather disappointing.

With neglect it will fail. You need to take some maintenance initiative or simply take the “hope and pray it breaks while under warranty” philosophy.

Enjoy the day.

You replied, but didn't answer the question. Is failure of a pano roof that was never maintained covered under warranty? Again, I am not suggesting that people don't maintain the sunroof or any other part of the vehicle that happens to be covered under warranty, just asking if it's covered.

It's good information and good that you're posting it here. I just think that the industry as a whole has done a rather poor job of getting that information to people who own sunroofs, and that's a shame.