GEN 2 Plastic Oil pan #3 leaking. 70k miles. New pan every other oil change. Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked again...This is what Chilton has shown for a 2017 Raptor...not sure if this is right either....hopefully this helps.

AGAIN, PLEASE VERIFY BEFORE USING.

586cb2800b172d612081814710d71590.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
Looked again...This is what Chilton has shown for a 2017 Raptor...not sure if this is right either....hopefully this helps.

AGAIN, PLEASE VERIFY BEFORE USING.

586cb2800b172d612081814710d71590.jpg

Now that is the correct plastic pan mounted to the metal block stiffener.

Interesting that the torque spec is the same for the plastic-metal as it is for the later model full metal pan to block. Would have figured plastic torque would be a little less just cause of it being plastic.

Then again something like that I never would have thrown a torque wrench on anyways, just wrench till tight.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that is the correct plastic pan mounted to the metal block stiffener.

Interesting that the torque spec is the same for the plastic-metal as it is for the later model full metal pan to block. Would have figured plastic torque would be a little less just cause of it being plastic.

Then again something like that I never would have thrown a torque wrench on anyways, just wrench till tight.
I’ve never been under my truck with the skid plate off. (Actually a little embarrassed to admit that.)

I just got mine back from San Leandro Ford out here in the Bay Area. They just completed doing the TSB for this. So far all seems good, but I’ll know for sure at the next oil change.

I found a free login to the Chilton site, so just trying to help out the dude who’s so frustrated he doing his own.

I’ll delete the other post so someone doesn’t accidentally use it.

Would be good if @FordTechOne could verify this is correct. (Chilton’s fine, I’ve used them for years, but have found mistakes in the past, so would be good to know for sure if the torque specs are the current best practice.)

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
I bought my 2017 with an already leaking pan. Seeping is more the word as in the 3 months I've had it now it has not dripped once on my driveway. First thing I did was removed the skid plates so I could monitor it easier and then tightened the pan bolts a tad more as it looked like the oil was seeping from the bolt holes.

Mine is currently at a local dealer and they are replacing the pan using the new TSB. I figured I would give them a shot first before I ripped it all out and installed the RMB pan myself. Might as well waste Ford's time and money first than my own. Scheduled to have it back to me on Monday. It will be some time before those skid plates go back on so I can continue to monitor the pan for any more leaks.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2017 with an already leaking pan. Seeping is more the word as in the 3 months I've had it now it has not dripped once on my driveway. First thing I did was removed the skid plates so I could monitor it easier and then tightened the pan bolts a tad more as it looked like the oil was seeping from the bolt holes.

Mine is currently at a local dealer and they are replacing the pan using the new TSB. I figured I would give them a shot first before I ripped it all out and installed the RMB pan myself. Might as well waste Ford's time and money first than my own. Scheduled to have it back to me on Monday. It will be some time before those skid plates go back on so I can continue to monitor the pan for any more leaks.
After several people here mentioned having it fixed multiple times, I was a little worried. The new to me dealership I went to was super professional, so I’m hoping it’s a good sign they got it right. I had the same issue as you, (Seems to be the most common) seeping around one of he bolts.

Hope yours comes out well, good luck.

Bad V2

Reaction score
I too bought my 2017 used and saved 20K. And it has the dumb pan. Hoping it’s fixed the second time around. But..... I have ambient disco lighting, gear selection lighting, real A/C seats and has been problem free except for the seeping pan. Haaa. Cam phasers don’t fail fail me now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you ever get the new pan swapped on? Just curious how it came out?

Trying to get the instructions from RMP motorworks, I was going to install this weekend but it didnt happen. Hopefully next weekend.

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to get the instructions from RMP motorworks, I was going to install this weekend but it didnt happen. Hopefully next weekend.
Good luck, hope it goes well. If you want to know where I found the login to the Chilton site, feel free to DM me, and I’ll tell you how I was able to access it. (Or you could just do like I did and google it, lol)

Drgonzo3000

Reaction score
I picked mine up from the dealer today for the oil pan leak fix, trans firmware update and to investigate a clunking in the drivers side front. I was beyond shocked when I got there.

Looking over the service order they pretty much went through step by step what they did which pretty much matched the new TSB IE "Added dye to locate leak, Removed pan and let it drain overnight, Surface prep and clean, New pan and sealant, let cure for 24 hours, And so on". The paperwork I have from the previous owners dealership that did the pan 4 times prior idn;t list any of that. Just noted "resealed pan". Service tech also listed the TSB's that were done for the pan and the trans firmware update.

The cherry on top was the clunking noise, well the shop said most of the nuts/bolts for the suspension were all loose .... o_O My guess is the previous owner had aftermarket shocks and took them off before he surrendered it to Ford and didn;t both to reinstall anything properly. The went through and checked it all and retorqued it all properly and didn't me at all, wrote it off as previous dealership mis-repair. "Suspension is no longer in warranty".

With all of that I feel very confident that this dealership did everything the correct way and this is how things are done right. I had all intentions of paying out of pocket for any suspension related repairs prior to dropping it off so them doing that was just showing off... LOL

So time will tell if the new TSB fix Ford put out does actually correct the issue. If not I'm not faulting this service center for it as I know they did it the correct way as instructed by Ford.