GEN 2 Plastic Oil pan #3 leaking. 70k miles. New pan every other oil change. Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the service center damaged the oil drain plug, document it and bring it back to them and demand a fix. Drain plugs don't damage themselves between oil changes.

It's the seal to the block. This will be pan #4, it is blatant incompetence.

Do you have any practical advice for the labor for me?

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Then as I mentioned, I suggest contacting Ford corporate and requesting that the dealer perform the TSB at the expense of either entity to have the concern resolved. If the TSB is followed as published, it won't be a repeat issue.

They told me to pound sand.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's the seal to the block. This will be pan #4, it is blatant incompetence.

Do you have any practical advice for the labor for me?

In terms of doing it yourself? The most important part will be obtaining the necessary chemicals (RTV, Metal Surface Prep Wipes, Mororcraft Brake Cleaner, etc) and parts (new oil pan).

If you’re going to go through all of that labor though you may want to call Ryan at RMB and see what specifically is included in his aluminum pan upgrade kit; the listing says it includes all associated parts, hardware, and RTV. The aluminum is much easier to seal than the plastic, and $295 is a bargain.

FYI - Since all service engines are being built with the new style 1-piece aluminum oil pan, Ford released a TSB to retrofit the new design in the 2017 and early 2018 models:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10181916-0001.pdf

Dan096

Reaction score
Repeat oil pan replacement is 99% techs fault.Surface prep is critical, let sealer cure at least 24 hours.Use 'Baby Wipes' ,a towelettes with a chemical that promotes adhesion, most tecs dont use them,If they are not charged out on RO Ford can deny warranty repair. Raptors are not the only Ford engine with plastic pans 2.7s 3.0s and others also have plastic.The metal pans also leak, Resealed one on a 18 Navigator last month. Dan,25 year Ford Senior Master Tec.

MIScrEanT

Reaction score
Well, it keeps failing. 2 different shops. I guess I can try a third....
It is a 3 day process. I took mine to a Lincoln dealer. They explained the process Fordtech1 did in a previous thread. I would guess that ford doesn't want to tie up a lift bay for 3 days. The pan ford changed leaked again less than a year after it was 'fixed.