Placement of spare tire for 37's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you are out in the desert, you can just use a factory spare. Remember it is only temporary, and will be fine to get you to a tire shop.
I wouldn't use a 37" and 35" combo on the front if you have a torsen front diff.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't use a 37" and 35" combo on the front if you have a torsen front diff.

That's my thing too, I've got a 13 with the torsen front diff. I'd prefer to just make sure all the wheels and tires match when driving it and not have to "limp" anywhere. There's a good chance a tire shop may not be able to repair what happened to the old one.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The BFG KO2 fits with no modification. I have not tried to fit a KM3 so I have no idea of clearance. My KO2s are street driven 97+% of the time. Light snow 8" or less and all off road accept for clay type mud are no problem. I do not do any major rock crawling in my full sized truck. 8"+ of snow or difficult off road I air down the the KO2s get me though just about anything with out me having to get dirty and dig. They are Quiet on the street and give me decent tread life. If I lived in a rural area where mud and slush snow was constant, I would go for a KM3.

The KM3's came with it and they're nearly brand new. I'd run KO2's or something else if I was buying new stuff, but they're very nice tires, and no reason to toss a good set of tires. I won't be doing much snow driving with this anyways so I can try and keep it out of the salt.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
There's no 4a in a gen 1, if I got a flat on the back I would put one of the fronts on the back and the spare on the front until I got home.

It'd be fine with different-sized tires on the rear too I think? Not sure if traction control would be annoyed by it, but that could be turned off.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From my experience running odd sized wheels/tires on anything with a differential is not a great idea, so that's why I'm not really interested in running the stock spare on my 37" KM3's if I needed it. Also, even if I did do that I'd have to try and limp it to a tire shop, in which case they probably aren't gonna be able to repair the KM3 as most likely it's been incredibly damaged to flatten it. I'd rather just run a full size spare and not have to deal with being stranded because I can't repair a tire. I feel like the diff cover will definitely hit a KM3 under compression. The stock spare is already a tight fit under there.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After seeing recent pictures of a 37" tire placed in the spare location and it rubbing the diff cover and bumper support brackets I've decided there's no way I wanna stuff a 37" spare under there, especially a KM3 (MT). It just leaves zero room for error if the suspension compresses and the tire hits the diff cover, and it's far worse if you have an aftermarket deeper cover as well. The chase rack setup is out since I still need to be able to use the bed for hauling large things and 4x8 sheets and I don't want to have to pull the chase rack out to do that. The hitch mounted spare is out as well since it'll block the camera. I'll just leave the spare at home unless I'm heading out of town or planning to off-road. I also don't want to try and run the stock spare and risk hurting either of the differentials. I also have pulled the spare tire mount and tools out as well since the tools no longer can effectively lift the truck to change the tire.