Placement of spare tire for 37's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
37" BFG KO3 fit in the stock location full of air on a Gen1.
I carry 1 full time spare in my bed in a custom mount. I will only carry the second spare in the stock location though 2021. I joined some Raptor run groups which require 2 spares. After 2021 I will mount a custom 15 to 18 gallon gas tank in the stock tire location which will be much more useful to me since I'll be pulling a trailer after that for a bit more comfort.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
37" BFG KO3 fit in the stock location full of air on a Gen1.
I carry 1 full time spare in my bed in a custom mount. I will only carry the second spare in the stock location though 2021. I joined some Raptor run groups which require 2 spares. After 2021 I will mount a custom 15 to 18 gallon gas tank in the stock tire location which will be much more useful to me since I'll be pulling a trailer after that for a bit more comfort.

What did you modify to fit the 37" tire? If I can fit a 37" KM3 under there without hacking anything up I'd do it, but man, the stock wheel and tire was a squeeze in there even.

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you are out in the desert, you can just use a factory spare. Remember it is only temporary, and will be fine to get you to a tire shop.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Question in regards to using a different diameter spare. Isn’t the rear differential basically open anyway unless you select a drive mode such as 4A, 4L or H or intentionally lock it? Meaning you won’t burn up the rear diff with different sized tires? The rear is an electronic locker and is not a cone or clutch type in which you could burn up, correct?

If this is the case and for general on road use or even not out of the way light off road the stock spare should be more than sufficient as @500mag says.

500mag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question in regards to using a different diameter spare. Isn’t the rear differential basically open anyway unless you select a drive mode such as 4A, 4L or H or intentionally lock it? Meaning you won’t burn up the rear diff with different sized tires? The rear is an electronic locker and is not a cone or clutch type in which you could burn up, correct?

If this is the case and for general on road use or even not out of the way light off road the stock spare should be more than sufficient as @500mag says.
Yes, don't lock it.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

There's no 4a in a gen 1, if I got a flat on the back I would put one of the fronts on the back and the spare on the front until I got home.

Raptor 2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you modify to fit the 37" tire? If I can fit a 37" KM3 under there without hacking anything up I'd do it, but man, the stock wheel and tire was a squeeze in there even.
The BFG KO2 fits with no modification. I have not tried to fit a KM3 so I have no idea of clearance. My KO2s are street driven 97+% of the time. Light snow 8" or less and all off road accept for clay type mud are no problem. I do not do any major rock crawling in my full sized truck. 8"+ of snow or difficult off road I air down the the KO2s get me though just about anything with out me having to get dirty and dig. They are Quiet on the street and give me decent tread life. If I lived in a rural area where mud and slush snow was constant, I would go for a KM3.