Pillar vs Fog Lights Gen1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cordeau70

Reaction score
Looking for advice and some pro and cons. Looking to put some lights on my 2014 screw and I am torn between either adding pods in the stock lower bumper area as fog lights or doing the pillar mount above the hood. With how expensive they are I’d like to only do one or the other for right now. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions!!

Thank you!

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So they both serve different purposes actually.

In the fogs, you'll do up to 2 pairs of lights and they are really designed for LOW use. Meaning fog lights and driving lights. You could do a set of wide corneirng for your regular use lights and spots OR driving/combos to help light up more down the road. But if you are going to be on roads with hills/bumps the pillar lights would be better with spots in them. They'd be higher up and can throw light over obstacles in the road you may come across.

So they kind of serve two purposes.

I'd say get the fogs because you'll get a lot more use out of them in your everyday travels

Baja Fog Mounts: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-ford-raptor-2010-2014-fog-pocket-mount-kit/

I'd then recommend a pair of Squadron SAE and Squadron Pro (or even Sport) for Pairs 1 and 2: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/led-driving-fog-lights/baja-designs/

For the pillars, XL80 are the most popular: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-xl80-pair-driving-combo/

And here are those pillar brackets for ya: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/alternative-offroad-2004-2014-ford-f-150-a-pillar-light-mount/

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm running Rigid DSS flood pattern in the bumper and I really like them, good side lighting broadcast, nice for low speed stuff and driving through the neighborhood where I value the peripheral lighting, they are excellent off road for 4x4 stuff for the same reason: illumination of stuff your headlights don't even touch. Living where I do wildlife coming in from the sides is a problem and I get a much better shot at spotting them this way.

I am running Rigid DS spots on the A pillars and they are excellent in this location, they completely blot out my high beams and probably double my usable vision range, great for faster stuff and awesome on secluded highways. If I had one more set it would be high mounted ultra spots for really fast stuff and further improvement on the dark highways.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Looking for advice and some pro and cons. Looking to put some lights on my 2014 screw and I am torn between either adding pods in the stock lower bumper area as fog lights or doing the pillar mount above the hood. With how expensive they are I’d like to only do one or the other for right now. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions!!

Thank you!

What is your intent for usage?
If you do any serious off roading in low, failing or no light, get the pillar lights. If that’s rare, or when you are out in low light you’re taking it slow, get the driving comb / wide corner lights first.

97duc748

Reaction score
I'm running Rigid DSS flood pattern in the bumper and I really like them, good side lighting broadcast, nice for low speed stuff and driving through the neighborhood where I value the peripheral lighting, they are excellent off road for 4x4 stuff for the same reason: illumination of stuff your headlights don't even touch. Living where I do wildlife coming in from the sides is a problem and I get a much better shot at spotting them this way.

I am running Rigid DS spots on the A pillars and they are excellent in this location, they completely blot out my high beams and probably double my usable vision range, great for faster stuff and awesome on secluded highways. If I had one more set it would be high mounted ultra spots for really fast stuff and further improvement on the dark highways.
Ben,
Can you post a picture of the D-SS in the bumper? I am considering this as a great starter option on the outside for side and mid illumination. I figure I can keep adding small sets of purposeful lights until the boss realizes I have done much. Thanks.