phoenix tesla system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PD1744

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in these because my 2011 with the older SYNC has an issue where the BT audio just stops coming through and I have to pull the fuse. Happens way more frequently than like. My coworker put one on his truck around Christmas and overall he's happy. But he had the basic radio in his F150 that took a crap. He said install was super simple, and yes, it's buggy, but overall he was happy. Last weekend, he told me that the carplay now has gone in-op maybe because of a phone firmware update that hasn't been supported by a head unit update yet. Frustrating tech issues. He says a good thing about it is there's a large user community that supports them.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in these because my 2011 with the older SYNC has an issue where the BT audio just stops coming through and I have to pull the fuse. Happens way more frequently than like. My coworker put one on his truck around Christmas and overall he's happy. But he had the basic radio in his F150 that took a crap. He said install was super simple, and yes, it's buggy, but overall he was happy. Last weekend, he told me that the carplay now has gone in-op maybe because of a phone firmware update that hasn't been supported by a head unit update yet. Frustrating tech issues. He says a good thing about it is there's a large user community that supports them.
I have the same truck with SYNC 1 and just replaced it with the Kenwood DMX907S and i'm pretty happy with it. With the Maestreo adapter all my steering wheel controls work as well as the hard buttons. I couldn't get the subwoofer to work but i'm sure with some tinkering you could figure out how to get it hooked up. Or maybe have your local car audio place install it. Its not an issue for me because i'm in the process of replacing my factory amp and sub anyway. Take a look at the thread below this one and you can see pics of my install.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Updating this, finally got a chance to install it. I have a 2013 with Sync 2 and 801A package. I ordered the PX6 setup from Phoenix Automotive without any of the "extra" add ons because I felt they were either cheap quality or I had no need for them. Easily the biggest headache is the terrible instructions online or lack thereof. I had to do a bunch of looking at various YouTube videos and reading on forums along with just playing around to figure it out.

The rundown is that the new setup replaces the factory 7" screen but retains the Sync 2 module which attaches to the back of the new screen the same way it does with the factory screen. The new setup also replaces the factory button controls with a simpler setup that retains the buttons you actually normally use. Reason for this is to make room for the larger screen. They provide you with new upper trim pieces to fit whatever buttons your truck comes with to swap the buttons onto along with jumper harnesses that plug into the factory Sync 2 module and A/C control head, so no wiring splicing is required which is nice. Lastly, they provide you with brackets to relocate the CD/DVD player downwards and backwards so it doesn't interfere with the new setup. Now, onto the issues.

1. The new screen completely blocks the CD/DVD player. I am unsure if it needs to still be in the dash to retain some sort of functionality, but you won't be able to physically use it. They do at least give you the brackets to relocate it out of the way instead of it just rolling around in the dash. I haven't found anything stating anywhere if you need to keep the player, but I chose to just put it in there for now to be safe. I believe they make a player that can plug into the unit via USB, but haven't looked into it.

2. The new setup does a good job of integrating with the factory Sync 2 system, but if you don't have your phone already connected through Bluetooth before installing this unit you are gonna have a bad time. Although you CAN access the original Sync 2 home screen with the new screen, it's pretty much impossible to navigate it to get into the factory settings, so connecting to Bluetooth is about impossible without having the original screen in. The reason I say this is because the Bluetooth connection to the new setup works alongside the original Sync 2 system to function correctly. If you're only connected with Bluetooth to the new setup the Sync 2 setup will not properly change functions "behind the scenes." I rammed my head against the wall trying to figure this out for a couple hours.

3. It's not what I would call "buggy" like some people say, but it 100% takes a lot of playing around just to figure out how to operate it. There are so many features and settings that you will definitely need to just sit in the driveway for a while poking around. It took me a bit to get Android Auto happy with everything and connecting properly via the USB cable. It's based on an Android tablet, so you kind of have to get used to back arrows, apps, pulling up the app tray and cycling, etc. etc. compared to the Sync 2 that's fairly basic.

4. Again, the installation instructions are basically **** or don't exist. The unit came with a microphone, GPS antenna, and GPS speaker. The installation video stated these were all required, even if you have a Sync 2 system with factory nav and Bluetooth. Me being confused as Hell as to why the factory stuff wouldn't work decided to not plug any of it in and see what happened. Come to find out the only reason (as far as I can tell) you need the GPS antenna or speaker are if you want to use the HERE WeGo software that comes with the new unit. Without having an internet connection to the unit you can't use the search feature in the nav anyways. As far as the microphone goes, the factory one worked just fine through voice assist and Bluetooth calls. I'll be curious if after I bit I figure out a way to get an internet connection on the unit and can play with the nav if I end up using it, or if I just plug my phone in and use Google Maps through Android Auto, which works perfectly fine.

Now, onto the good.

1. The large 12.1" setup is very pretty and updates the look of the center console A LOT over even the 7" Sync 2 screen. The touchscreen is very responsive, and the colors and lighting as well as the dimming is very nice. The system is fast to respond and boot too. Once you figure out how to operate it it is pretty friendly to use. You can even choose what color you want the physical buttons to backlight so if you want them to match the factory ambient lighting (which some of us have swapped in) you can.

2. After you get over the **** instructions on how to install it and just kind of stare at it for a while it actually installs pretty easy. There's no wire splicing, drilling, etc. that needs done. The brackets to relocate the CD/DVD player work excellent, the trim around the display fits perfect and uses all the factory screw points and tabs for the side trims, and they give you the trim pieces to fit the upper buttons correctly. The wiring harnesses are good quality and fit nicely.

3. I pretty much feel like the sky is the limit as to what the unit can do. I've only gotten to mess with it for a bit, but between WiFi connectivity, on board storage, being able to load your own apps, etc. there are a ton of things you can do. Just having Android Auto and being able to display Google Maps is very nice instead of using the crap OEM nav, or having to use your phone screen. I didn't even think about being able to use Torque and connecting the unit to the Bluetooth OBD-II dongle which would allow you to display gauges, drivetrain data, etc. I have not started messing with it, but supposedly you can screen mirror your phone onto the display as well.

4. Although the instructions suck, there does seem to be a TON of support through Phoenix Automotive as well as other users that are consistently working on software updates and bug fixes. Being able to connect to WiFi with the unit means you can update it over the air which is great. Since this is a relatively new product it's gonna take some time to get all the bugs worked out since these units are somewhat "universal" and made to fit TONS of different OEM systems, but it does seem like they are doing a fairly good job of handling it.

My final take - if you're someone who doesn't mind a few headaches along the way but likes being able to have a lot of very cool features and a much nicer screen I would definitely recommend it at this point. Also, it looks like they have released a 13" screen with Android 10 compared to the current 12.1" screen with Android 9, but I might recommend holding off on that since it's only been out for a month or so and there may not be enough of them out in the wild yet to figure out all the issues with it. It may be worth waiting to get the 13" setup if it turns out to operate properly.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update - the issue of navigating the stock Sync 2 screen has been solved. The screen display is actually reversed and flipped from what it shows, so the buttons are in opposite orientation. If you know this you can navigate the original screen properly. Also, if you hotspot, you can use Tasker app to tell the phone to automatically turn your hotspot on and off when connecting and disconnecting to the truck's Bluetooth, so you can just leave the phone in your pocket and let it do its thing. After changing service providers I now have a proper internet connection at all times to the head unit. I haven't gotten to mess with it a ton more yet, but just having YouTube and a large Google Maps screen is awesome. I still haven't gotten into some of the cooler things yet, although I did also order one of the anti-glare protectors for the screen as well.

RaptorJoe92

Reaction score
Update - the issue of navigating the stock Sync 2 screen has been solved. The screen display is actually reversed and flipped from what it shows, so the buttons are in opposite orientation. If you know this you can navigate the original screen properly. Also, if you hotspot, you can use Tasker app to tell the phone to automatically turn your hotspot on and off when connecting and disconnecting to the truck's Bluetooth, so you can just leave the phone in your pocket and let it do its thing. After changing service providers I now have a proper internet connection at all times to the head unit. I haven't gotten to mess with it a ton more yet, but just having YouTube and a large Google Maps screen is awesome. I still haven't gotten into some of the cooler things yet, although I did also order one of the anti-glare protectors for the screen as well.

Thanks for posting your install findings! Nice to see someone had some success without paying the Russian guy on Facebook or whatever lol.