Phoenix Android Radio 4th Gen PX6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you guys see that Phoenix is releasing a pre-order 13" (1600x1200) Android 9/10 with their version of the physical HVAC controls for the F150? Expected release date is March or April of this year.

A few things I noticed:

* The unit comes with their hard button controls/dials for HVAC.

* 3 different hardware varieties: PX6 (4G RAM/64G ROM Android 9), SC7862 (4G RAM/64G ROM Android 10), SC7862 (6G RAM/128G ROM Android 10)

* You can choose between black or chrome (OEM) colored HVAC knobs

* A bunch of add-on type accessories

Anyone know if the performance differences between the PX6 and the 2 flavors of SC7862 is significant (similar to the PX4 to PX6 jump)?

https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/pr...1&_sid=d6ad1684d&_ss=r&variant=37941518270650

Maybe we should start another thread for this new version
Just put in my pre-order for this. Hopefully it’s better than the px6 unit I have. My current px6 unit has been pretty good with the only issue that the screen will just go black and stop working at around the 2 hour use mark and requires several resets (without powering the vehicle off) before it will boot up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonnie510

Reaction score
I did not see that. Thanks for the heads up!

In addition to what you mentioned, I noticed that...

- Built in 4G LTE. So instead of using a mobile hotspot or WiFi dongle, you can set this up directly with mobile service. I don't think I would use that though, as you lose the benefit of having WiFi in the truck for other devices, and I suspect getting service for the tablet may be a little more cumbersome since it's an unknown device to the mobile service provider. I suspect anyway.

- Speaking of WiFi, this says the new version is 5GHz, not 2.4GHz. Not sure if that means 2.4GHz won't work with the new tablet. That could be a problem if your existing hotspot doesn't have 5GHz.

- The top buttons are moved back to the top where they should be in my opinion. I did not like their other 13" layout with the HVAC buttons removed.

- It looks like they've improved the equalizer. That could be a nice addition since the previous EQ is pretty weak.

- It says it has DSP. Don't want they fully mean by that.

- I don't know what to think yet about the HVAC controls. The previous version reused to OEM circuit board, and the buttons were pretty much the same location. Does this use the OEM board or are we getting a new one. My instinct is to say that this is a new board because the buttons are in different locations, but perhaps not. It looks like they already knew how to 'read/write' with the OEM board since they had on screen HVAC controls.

- 2 of the HVAC buttons have been removed. The 'AUTO' and 'DUAL buttons, on the knobs, are no longer there. They are on screen though, so perhaps not an issue. I don't use these much so I can live with it. It also could be that the version in the image shown is for a manual control system, and an auto AC version will have those hard buttons. Something to ask about.

- The mic looks improved on this version. I say that because it's a bit bigger, so perhaps not, but it's a good sign.

- I don't like the yellow lighting around the knob. Would like to know if that can be turned off or switched to a different color.

- It looks like this is the same plastic material they used on previous models. Not great, but not bad either.

- The previous screen did not work with polarized glasses. Getting an anti-glare screen protector partially fixed the problem, but would like to know if this model used different glass.

- I would want to find out if Serge's software add-ons work with this new version.

This is rather tempting, way more than other iterations. Definitely something to think about.
I did not see that. Thanks for the heads up!

In addition to what you mentioned, I noticed that...

- Built in 4G LTE. So instead of using a mobile hotspot or WiFi dongle, you can set this up directly with mobile service. I don't think I would use that though, as you lose the benefit of having WiFi in the truck for other devices, and I suspect getting service for the tablet may be a little more cumbersome since it's an unknown device to the mobile service provider. I suspect anyway.

- Speaking of WiFi, this says the new version is 5GHz, not 2.4GHz. Not sure if that means 2.4GHz won't work with the new tablet. That could be a problem if your existing hotspot doesn't have 5GHz.

- The top buttons are moved back to the top where they should be in my opinion. I did not like their other 13" layout with the HVAC buttons removed.

- It looks like they've improved the equalizer. That could be a nice addition since the previous EQ is pretty weak.

- It says it has DSP. Don't want they fully mean by that.

- I don't know what to think yet about the HVAC controls. The previous version reused to OEM circuit board, and the buttons were pretty much the same location. Does this use the OEM board or are we getting a new one. My instinct is to say that this is a new board because the buttons are in different locations, but perhaps not. It looks like they already knew how to 'read/write' with the OEM board since they had on screen HVAC controls.

- 2 of the HVAC buttons have been removed. The 'AUTO' and 'DUAL buttons, on the knobs, are no longer there. They are on screen though, so perhaps not an issue. I don't use these much so I can live with it. It also could be that the version in the image shown is for a manual control system, and an auto AC version will have those hard buttons. Something to ask about.

- The mic looks improved on this version. I say that because it's a bit bigger, so perhaps not, but it's a good sign.

- I don't like the yellow lighting around the knob. Would like to know if that can be turned off or switched to a different color.

- It looks like this is the same plastic material they used on previous models. Not great, but not bad either.

- The previous screen did not work with polarized glasses. Getting an anti-glare screen protector partially fixed the problem, but would like to know if this model used different glass.

- I would want to find out if Serge's software add-ons work with this new version.

This is rather tempting, way more than other iterations. Definitely something to think about.

I was about to place my preorder but asked a few questions myself.

I have been waiting for a 4G LTE version to come out because I have a tablet sim I can use in it.

I asked them about 4G LTE and they said.

“After checking in with our tech support they do have built in 4g lte. It does not mean SIM card or carrier capabilities rather it will just create a much faster internet speed than our older units”

I also asked about
1. audio/video input. ( no answer) I had to modify my gen 1 and gen 2 to accept audio input.

2. video output so I can hookup my headrest monitors to this unit. ( no answer) My gen 1 had it but they removed it on my gen 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ackrug

Reaction score
Bought one of these for my 2010 (not the Phoenix brand but same manufacturer) and the ac doesn’t blow cold at all.

everything else works pretty darn great though, but I’m in Texas and A/C is the most important!

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought one of these for my 2010 (not the Phoenix brand but same manufacturer) and the ac doesn’t blow cold at all.

everything else works pretty darn great though, but I’m in Texas and A/C is the most important!
email the manufacturer. phoenix is usually good with following up. not sure about your other brand

gordo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you guys are scaring me with all these defects. is there a competitor that makes a better unit? only reason i want it is to watch movies on road trips. maybe im better off using builtright mount and an ipad since i was considering installing that for my uhf radio anyway.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
you guys are scaring me with all these defects. is there a competitor that makes a better unit? only reason i want it is to watch movies on road trips. maybe im better off using builtright mount and an ipad since i was considering installing that for my uhf radio anyway.

I would go the ipad route if that's what you're looking to do.

As far as competitors, no one really comes close to matching PHX on price and functionality, although it sounds like everyone beats them on reliability. No one seems to work with Sync, nor provide actual android app functionality. However, PHX appears to be making their money by covering a lot of different models and selling to customers who are willing to deal with buggy software and tinker with it.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anybody install the new OTA update from Sergey that was release a few days ago? I did, and notice a few minor improvements. The biggest one is that the equalizer feature is now way improved. You can actually even do some DSP timing on it as well.

It also seems like you can do a few things with the upper and lower menu bars. You can use different mismatched templates for upper and lower. You can have the upper and/or lower bars automatically removed when you open particular apps.

The last thing I noticed is that you can configure so whatever multimedia app you closed down with will automatically startup next time.

I think there are some new templates as well, but I really haven't gotten much of a chance to test and play around with this stuff much yet.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tried to install got an error.

I did too. The zip file wouldn't install from the location I downloaded it from. I moved it over to my connected USB stick, then rebooted. It picked up the file without error and installed. Once it completed, I got the message to remove USB stick, which I did, but the screen didn't go away, so I pressed the reset button (using a paperclip) and it came up with no issue.

The USB stick I used was the one I used with the unit regularly, so I had to remove that zip file so it wouldn't try and install again.