Phoenix Android Radio 4th Gen PX6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok so I'm just wondering but what is the point of carplay or android auto with this? The only time I've used it is before I had the PX6. The PX6 is basically a tablet so I just run the apps straight off the unit and it has its own dedicated wifi source from the trucks hotspot. Am I missing something here that makes running the phone in carplay or AA worth while?

I don't use either, but I can see some reasoning behind it. Not everyone is using the local hotspot, as they don't want to pay for service. With that reasoning, the only way to access streaming services is via phone. Even if you did have a hotspot, the apps on the tablet are not designed for in-truck use and thus font sizes are not ideal, etc. Carplay and AA are. You could argue then that you can just use the reguarl 8" screen, but get a bigger screen is a big part of the reason to get a PX6. As well, just because you use Carplay or AA doesn't mean you don't also use other apps you can't get via those avenues, such as streaming video.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those of you have installed the Phoenix radio- would you do it again?

Maybe. I'd want to see what the new F-150 and their sync 4 12" is like, when the gen 3 Raptor is coming out, etc. It also depends on how stable the next gen PX is like. I'd also spend some time looking into doing some other way of getting a better interface, perhaps adding a tablet instead of adding the new screen. A lot has changed in a year.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can honestly say, I rather use carplay for interfacing with my phone then Sync. True the tablet should replace many AA and CP functions.

Now if I’m backing in a tight and dark parking spot. And I forget to let the rear camera app load before I start rolling back and it locks. This wouldn’t take long to say this system sucks. Things like this need to just work. We paid enough for the truck, hate to turn parts of it into a pos lol

I’m sure it will improve and I would love to have a large screen and all those apps. Time will tell.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m sure it will improve and I would love to have a large screen and all those apps. Time will tell.

I am not sure that it will. The PX6 is designed for a large variety of auto makes and models with all sorts of nuances between them all. In other words, there are surely a ton of bugs to be addressed. And PX doesn't seem to be all that interested in customer support and attempting to catalog and start addressing all these fixes. Nor do they have the resources, the vehicle stock, to really properly test and develop fixes properly anyway. They are selling well now without it, so where is the need to fix it. Their focus seems to be on upgraded hardware, which gets existing customers to upgrade, and new auto models.

The fact that cars/trucks are starting to get OEM is going to limit the future of their business. Yes, there will be older models still, but surely less people willing to spend big money on them. I just get the feeling that the business model is ultimately doomed. It makes more sense to just keep the product as functional enough and let the cash flow in while it lasts.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. They can continue to sell to existing vehicles, but as time progresses the advancement in oem interfaces continue. The car makers know people want larger and more feature rich infotainment systems and they will deliver. Slowly but surely.

I am not sure that it will. The PX6 is designed for a large variety of auto makes and models with all sorts of nuances between them all. In other words, there are surely a ton of bugs to be addressed. And PX doesn't seem to be all that interested in customer support and attempting to catalog and start addressing all these fixes. Nor do they have the resources, the vehicle stock, to really properly test and develop fixes properly anyway. They are selling well now without it, so where is the need to fix it. Their focus seems to be on upgraded hardware, which gets existing customers to upgrade, and new auto models.

The fact that cars/trucks are starting to get OEM is going to limit the future of their business. Yes, there will be older models still, but surely less people willing to spend big money on them. I just get the feeling that the business model is ultimately doomed. It makes more sense to just keep the product as functional enough and let the cash flow in while it lasts.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps there could be a market if Ford makes it so that you have to get an expense package with features you don't need to upgrade an XLT to 12" screen, for example. If PX can make a nice solution for that, maybe, but they definitely need it to just work. Better than what it is now.

And I suppose there could be a market even with OEM 12" screens if they can give you features you can't get with sync 4, like video for example. I can't think of any feature that would do it for me though.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issues of rear camera locking up were resolved for me by rolling back to MCU version 50.

I don’t really have any major bugs to report at this time other than it doesn’t always fastboot which is pretty minor.

I’m looking forward to a 1080p screen, 8 gigs of ram, and the next PX processor.

It’s coming.

K1llD4shN1n3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I have the 9.1 fastboot px6 with the wireless CarPlay from Phoenix. It works ok for a bit but seems to degrade. Waze seems to have issues with screen rendering after about 5 minutes it starts rendering weird blocky artifacts on the screen. Apple and Google maps doesn’t have the issue. Plugging the iPhone usb cable into the CarPlay dongle gets rid of those issues so it’s probably just some issue with their memory management efficiency with wireless CarPlay.

Other than that this unit has been way less buggy than the px3 unit and I’m quite happy with it. Upgrading to Serg’s firmware makes it even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AutoKit showed an update for the wireless CarPlay box so I’ll test that out and see if it’s better.

Also found some tablet battery optimization settings turned on for AutoKit that I disabled. I’ll see if these make wireless CarPlay better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The issues of rear camera locking up were resolved for me by rolling back to MCU version 50.

I don’t really have any major bugs to report at this time other than it doesn’t always fastboot which is pretty minor.

I’m looking forward to a 1080p screen, 8 gigs of ram, and the next PX processor.

It’s coming.

My camera issue is a flickering screen or just all black. That sounds like a loose cable, but doesn't appear to be. I've gotten used to it, and don't want to break something in an attempt to fix. I also have the messed up screen if the boot logo doesn't finish before turning on camera, but not a big deal.

I also will sometimes mute audio when FFWD via steering controls, but I can deal with that as well.

Almost forgot. BT doesn't work at all either. There are probably some issues with the console screen as well, but I never use it anymore.

I really would want to see some rather big impressive improvements before I upgrade. I mean that it has to be as good or better than sync 4. I want to see 4-5 people upgrade bug free.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is anyone who has the Sergy firmware been following the FB group over the past couple months? I have not, and wondering if there are any new features I need to look into. I did get the OTA updates package, but I don't recall ever seeing any update come through.

I know I could look into it myself, but it's not exactly a simple search.