Phoenix Android Radio 4th Gen PX6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam cessford

Reaction score
Well, Gen PX6 direct from Phoenix. Install was fairly easy even with what's involved. Had sent messages regarding a few questions about the wiring and received quick answers and links to videos. Install was done on Sunday. Also added a front grill camera.

Ordered and received in about a week.
Wife ordered one for her car two days before me and it's still in testing phase...

First issue found is factory GPS and provided GPS antennas work with the newest unit however how location isn't displayed correctly. After many hours of forum reading I found out that the sync module needs to be flipped and reinstalled. A customer in a Rapter forum figured this out Their video isn't updated to reflect this. Yay

Second issue is when the truck is off, the screen isn't. The backlight turns off and if you have a bright light the screen is still on, and responsive! Could be a time out issue or a glitch but screen burn in would happen sooner than expected. This has only happened twice that I've seen. In a week period since it's been installed.

Third issue is when I get into the truck in the morning and start it the screen has nothing but vertical static lines as if the LCD display driver has failed. I have tried checking all wires and connections. Also tried leaving the unit loose in the dash over night to make sure something was not pinched. Still the same issue in the morning. Once I press the reset button for over ,30 seconds it reboots and then it's working.

Fourth and final issue. While driving, a few times the screen would jump back to home or change channel or input. No screen or wheel control was touched. When it did go home there would be a quick toast notification "back home"

Same issue where in YouTube and press next the video changes but Sync3 input changes.

All wires and connections checked and double checked.

Now, when I had questions about the order they replied quickly. When I had questions about my wife's order they replied quickly to her and I. When I had questions about the extra wires and connectors they replied quickly.

The wife's head unit is taking several weeks to arrive due to them testing it and making sure everything is updated and working. This is a GREAT idea, for my head unit I received it in a week from China and have issues.

Once issues presented themselves I have no longer been able to contact anyone within Phoenix. It has been 7 days now with no answer from emails, phone calls, WhatsApp, text, messenger or help desk ticket.
Hopefully they happen to be extremely busy and somehow didn't get to my emails, messages and support request.

NOW, ONCE IT IS WORKING IT IS AMAZING! Lol, seriously it's a great unit. Android auto and car play still work, and work full screen if you connect to the head units usb.

Factory USB connections all work. Back up camera, parking sensors, yada yada. Everything from Sync3 is 100% working. added a camera in the front grill for when I park close and it displays it with a quick button push. Could also use the same camera and record it for DVR.

Once connected on wifi hotspot it's silky smooth and quick. YouTube videos are clear and crisp and the audio is great. Torque app works great using a Bluetooth obd2 plug.

Ideas?

Just realized the air bag lights do not work as well.

20191113_184145.jpg

20191111_073029.jpg

20191112_084356.jpg

Evan B

Reaction score
So I’ve read the thread. I am still undecided. Is this worth it?? Or not? I’m looking for all stock functions plus the ability to do my own thing.

Gtibbot

Reaction score
Well, Gen PX6 direct from Phoenix. Install was fairly easy even with what's involved. Had sent messages regarding a few questions about the wiring and received quick answers and links to videos. Install was done on Sunday. Also added a front grill camera.

Ordered and received in about a week.
Wife ordered one for her car two days before me and it's still in testing phase...

First issue found is factory GPS and provided GPS antennas work with the newest unit however how location isn't displayed correctly. After many hours of forum reading I found out that the sync module needs to be flipped and reinstalled. A customer in a Rapter forum figured this out Their video isn't updated to reflect this. Yay

Second issue is when the truck is off, the screen isn't. The backlight turns off and if you have a bright light the screen is still on, and responsive! Could be a time out issue or a glitch but screen burn in would happen sooner than expected. This has only happened twice that I've seen. In a week period since it's been installed.

Third issue is when I get into the truck in the morning and start it the screen has nothing but vertical static lines as if the LCD display driver has failed. I have tried checking all wires and connections. Also tried leaving the unit loose in the dash over night to make sure something was not pinched. Still the same issue in the morning. Once I press the reset button for over ,30 seconds it reboots and then it's working.

Fourth and final issue. While driving, a few times the screen would jump back to home or change channel or input. No screen or wheel control was touched. When it did go home there would be a quick toast notification "back home"

Same issue where in YouTube and press next the video changes but Sync3 input changes.

All wires and connections checked and double checked.

Now, when I had questions about the order they replied quickly. When I had questions about my wife's order they replied quickly to her and I. When I had questions about the extra wires and connectors they replied quickly.

The wife's head unit is taking several weeks to arrive due to them testing it and making sure everything is updated and working. This is a GREAT idea, for my head unit I received it in a week from China and have issues.

Once issues presented themselves I have no longer been able to contact anyone within Phoenix. It has been 7 days now with no answer from emails, phone calls, WhatsApp, text, messenger or help desk ticket.
Hopefully they happen to be extremely busy and somehow didn't get to my emails, messages and support request.

NOW, ONCE IT IS WORKING IT IS AMAZING! Lol, seriously it's a great unit. Android auto and car play still work, and work full screen if you connect to the head units usb.

Factory USB connections all work. Back up camera, parking sensors, yada yada. Everything from Sync3 is 100% working. added a camera in the front grill for when I park close and it displays it with a quick button push. Could also use the same camera and record it for DVR.

Once connected on wifi hotspot it's silky smooth and quick. YouTube videos are clear and crisp and the audio is great. Torque app works great using a Bluetooth obd2 plug.

Ideas?

Just realized the air bag lights do not work as well.

View attachment 132628

View attachment 132629

View attachment 132630

Take a look at the "Power off Delay" Setting under the Install Set to make sure it is set to off

I had that happen a few times as well after installation, it now has gone away. Sorry, no solution

I have an app installed that upon bootup, unit boots to Nova Launcher, then goes to the SYNC 2 screen. My wife understands the SYNC 2 operation a little better than all the icons on Nova Launcher, so it help her. But, randomly the unit will go back to the SYNC 2 screen for now good reason, doesn't happen very often, I have never gotten a "back home" notification.

This have been my experience as well. They are very responsive to the 1st few questions and then they go away for a week, maybe we only get 2 or 3 question allotment for a week :)
On the bright side, they must be actively working on update, my MCU started out as version 27 and they are now up to version 30.

On another note, you very 1st screen shot shows a bluetooth disconnected message. I have never gotten a bluetooth connection message, I wonder if it is due to the fact I have a 2015 F150 Platinum trim.

G.T.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I’ve read the thread. I am still undecided. Is this worth it?? Or not? I’m looking for all stock functions plus the ability to do my own thing.

I think you'd need to be more specific by what functionality you're looking for. I personally don't have much need for the console (stock screen) anymore. Admittedly, that's partially because it doesn't work very well for me. It's very jittery and sometimes completely blank. I do have all the stock beeps and such as well as the rear cameras (still jittery). I use the tablet for all audio functions now. I also added WiFi, so that I can do other features occassionaly as needed.

I wouldn't get the tablet if you can't handle dealing with bugs, it's going to happen. I also wouldn't do it if you need the CD player, listen to SXM radio most of the time, etc.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone else since any issues with cold (as in temperature) starts? Last week, it got into the 40s at night, and the PX6 would consistently show the console screen only, the tablet software not booting at all for several minutes. It's like it needed to physically warm up before it could start up?

Also, I believe the console screen can be fixed with a patch (mine is a jittery screen among other things)...which should be applied? I don't want to just apply patches randomly as I am mostly stable.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So it does not support SiriusXM?

SXM radio, via satellite is available through the SYNC 3 console, same as normal. You can't get SXM radio via satellite through the tablet itself, as far as I know. However, you can stream SXM through an app and WiFi connection like you would any a normal tablet. This is what I do personally. My point was that if you want to listen through satellite often, don't want to provide separate internet to the tablet, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to install this big screen IMO.

Gtibbot

Reaction score

Going to be a personal preference. In some ways you can emulate the PX6 with you phone (using Waze and streaming). We have 3 children, each live about an hour away, so every other weekend we are on the road for a few hours. It's so nice having Waze in a large screen format (that I can see) and streaming music from any service. In addition I get notifications from my security cameras, etc.

The units is not without quirks though, yesterday the temp in the unit read 0 degree Celsius for about 10 mins before displaying the correct temp.

G.T.