Phoenix Android Radio 4th Gen PX6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck has reverse sensors, that beep faster and faster as you get closer to an object behind you, it also has sensors in the tail lights that detect cross traffic. Neither of these 2 systems can be heard in my truck now. Reverse camera comes on when in reverse, music either gets quieter or mutes completely, but you can back right into something, and there are no audible alerts.

Ok, wasn't think about that. That functionality is working fine for me.

Gopherboy128

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my backup camera screen, the colored bars still indicate how close I am to an object, but my last truck, an '04 F-150, had just the audible alerts, so after 8 years with that, I am more "at home" with the beeps, than the colored bars on a screen. But mainly, I know something doesnt work right, so regardless of how little I actually use the backup sensors, it just bugs me that I dont have 100% full OEM functionality.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my backup camera screen, the colored bars still indicate how close I am to an object, but my last truck, an '04 F-150, had just the audible alerts, so after 8 years with that, I am more "at home" with the beeps, than the colored bars on a screen. But mainly, I know something doesnt work right, so regardless of how little I actually use the backup sensors, it just bugs me that I dont have 100% full OEM functionality.

Oh, I agree with you, beeps are important. I meant that it was working for me, I get the beeps...not that the beeps were irrelevant to me. Although visual cues are helpful, they can't replace audio cues.

Now that I think about it more, I definitely get beeps from collision sensors, but not sure on the backup sensors...currently. It used to be that whenever camera was on, all other audio sources were off and I would get beeps for backup. It was annoying, there is a setting related to camera audio that I switched that resolved that issue, but perhaps I turned off the backup sensor audio in the process.

Loosely related, anyone else have 2 different backup camera screens. I noticed that in some cases, the bottom half of the screen is just the image of a camera lens. Other times, the bottom half is a white truck, with the backup sensor warning color images. I need to confirm this, but I think the lens appears when I am in reverse before the android system has booted up. The truck appears after booting has completed.

Gopherboy128

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loosely related, anyone else have 2 different backup camera screens. I noticed that in some cases, the bottom half of the screen is just the image of a camera lens. Other times, the bottom half is a white truck, with the backup sensor warning color images. I need to confirm this, but I think the lens appears when I am in reverse before the android system has booted up. The truck appears after booting has completed.

Correct. If you fire it up, throw it in Reverse, you don't get the OEM reverse info overlayed, but still get camera.

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it’s over for me. Just not liking how my backup camera freezes randomly. I rode it out with the px3 that never functioned correctly. Then I even got the px6. It was a lot better functionality wise still had a few bugs here and there but overall not bad. The backup camera freeze issue is annoying. It’s hard enough trying to learn to trust the cams and when you finally do it would freeze. I also realized that I did not really use the functionality of the tablet that much. Anyway set everything back to stock and you know what, man did I miss that volume button. I had fun messing around with these things but it’s time to let it go. To the classified section they go although I do not want to supply technical support to anyone who may buy them because I never quite got it figured out. Been a fun ride but I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think it’s over for me. Just not liking how my backup camera freezes randomly. I rode it out with the px3 that never functioned correctly. Then I even got the px6.

It's a very reasonable decision. I was not having backup camera issues initially, but I usually get flickering now, and the occassional freeze. It does appear to be a software issue though, so I really need to look at patching options.

I do use a lot of the functionality though. I use Amazon music quite a bit, and the app is much more useful than trying to streaming through the phone or using android auto. Even when playing tracks off a thumb drive, navigation is much better, as is using Alexa voice commands. I also find that I'll use the SXM app over sat radio. And though not nearly as frequently, I will use other apps for ordering food and such. Even watching a little baseball when I have to wait to pick up the kids for whatever.

If I had not added WiFi to the truck, the screens usefulness would have greatly diminished.

Gtibbot

Reaction score
It's a very reasonable decision. I was not having backup camera issues initially, but I usually get flickering now, and the occassional freeze. It does appear to be a software issue though, so I really need to look at patching options.

I do use a lot of the functionality though. I use Amazon music quite a bit, and the app is much more useful than trying to streaming through the phone or using android auto. Even when playing tracks off a thumb drive, navigation is much better, as is using Alexa voice commands. I also find that I'll use the SXM app over sat radio. And though not nearly as frequently, I will use other apps for ordering food and such. Even watching a little baseball when I have to wait to pick up the kids for whatever.

I echo melvimbe’s statement. In the last couple of years, we have seen an evolution of the Infotainment system in vehicles and I’m sure it will continue to evolve.

But even the best Infotainment systems have their flaws. I have been researching the Tesla Model 3, their system doesn’t support Android Auto or Apple CarPlay (it does utilize Google Maps/Traffic Date & Voice Commands) and its probably not needed, but natively only supports Spotify and TuneIn, all other streaming services require a connecting from your phone via Bluetooth.

On the other end of the spectrum would be the Ford Sync system, by today’s standard it’s archaic (this may change with the announcement of Sync 4) and customers report problems with it.

My point is, there is no perfect system. We all have individual requirements for what we want out of an Infotainment system and how many flaws can we tolerate. Like most of you, I’m sometimes puzzled by the Phoenix unit when it does something totally random, but to have the ability to drive with Waze full screen and stream Amazon (or YouTube, or Spotify, or etc.) outweighs the negatives for me.