Phoenix Android Radio 4th Gen PX6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gtibbot

Reaction score
Hmm mine does it when not being touched.

Sometimes cant get the "music" or pandora app to play any sound.

Also have 020 as my version, I see others on 27 or 28.

Like I noted before, if I go to Console (the console source doesn't seem to matter) and back to Nova I'm good on the sound issue. If you start music with Nova and go to console, it will stop the music that Nova is playing and you have to restart once back to Nova.

My guess is that there are some kinks that will never be worked out, since there are 2 pieces of hardware being interfaced and both using their own OS.

Gopherboy128

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone contacted them about a new Console app for the 10" sync screen? We can update to 3.4 which has the 10" themes so it would be cool to be able to get that working on this.

As many issues as we have with the 8" version, I'd rather they resolve on-going problems with this before we try to get them to update to 10" versions of bootleg software.

Gopherboy128

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sent Phoenix an email describing the problem and they promptly answered:

MCU update: setting-system info- MCU-MCU upgrade
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hetvwl4wgjlll15/RL7A.bin?dl=0

download the below px6.zip file and input the file to the unit for direct upgrade.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jwm0mle91ph7oj/px6.zip?dl=0

Looks like the top one is the MCU upgrade, I sent a reply asking what the 2nd file was for.

I was able to install the MCU file, and it updated me to RL7A_KWY_E029Y. I was on version E017 before.

I tried applying the PX6.zip firmware update, but got an error message:

73294653_1335760719920357_8173576575380357120_n.jpg

Gtibbot

Reaction score
I was able to install the MCU file, and it updated me to RL7A_KWY_E029Y. I was on version E017 before.

I tried applying the PX6.zip firmware update, but got an error message:

View attachment 130887

Phoenix replied, but didn't tell me what the ZIP file was.

download the below px6.zip file and input the file to the unit
**With Vehicle Running

Plug in USB Drive to Unit
Turn Off Vehicle
Turn On Vehicle with Engine Running
Update should read from USB Automatically and run

Let it finish running
till it asks to Remove USB disk
Unplug USB Drive and Unit should reboot

In the above picture, it looks like recovery is reading the internal storage of the unit and not the USB drive. You might try "Apply update from SD card" and see if it recognize the USB. IF it does you should see the PX6.ZIP file.

Let us know.

G.T.

Gopherboy128

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Phoenix replied, but didn't tell me what the ZIP file was.

download the below px6.zip file and input the file to the unit
**With Vehicle Running

Plug in USB Drive to Unit
Turn Off Vehicle
Turn On Vehicle with Engine Running
Update should read from USB Automatically and run

Let it finish running
till it asks to Remove USB disk
Unplug USB Drive and Unit should reboot

In the above picture, it looks like recovery is reading the internal storage of the unit and not the USB drive. You might try "Apply update from SD card" and see if it recognize the USB. IF it does you should see the PX6.ZIP file.

Let us know.

G.T.

I am unable to cycle through or select options from the bootloader, I may try to copy the PX6.zip file onto the tablet itself, and see if I can mirror the directory that the update is looking for?

Gopherboy128

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the MCU upgrade, don't see any my improvements

I am having an issue now, where music apps are quieter than Sync 3/Sirius XM, and I have to go into Install Set, scroll down to any of the GAIN settings, and adjust them in any direction, (-1 or +1) and then suddenly music comes back at full volume.

Last edited:

spatel

Reaction score
I just posted this on the Gen 1 area, but it has info that may pertain to others here still considering the device:

Greetings everybody--I have a Gen 1 2012 and I just ordered the PX6 8.1 Android radio from Phoenix--I can say it works FLAWLESSLY (after getting all the settings right). I found a local car audio guy who had never installed one of these before and he did a great job (I can point anybody in the Houston area to him if needed). My only feature that is not working is my backup camera, which needs an additional harness which I have contacted Phoenix about. I can't tell you how awesome this thing is--I now have Amazon Music, DI.FM (European EDM radio), YouTube, Netflix (APK install), AT&T Uverse (yes, full 500+ channels in my truck), and full screen Google Maps all working. Additionally, Android Auto works great too, though the whole point of having this is it working on its own. I find the Android Auto feature useless--and it doesn't take advantage of the full screen. You really have to know your way around Android to get this thing working--I can safely report though that my wife can navigate this intuitively at this point and it works as if it was a factory device. I can piggyback it off a hotspot or off my phone as a hotspot. You can also download Amazon music and Google Maps such that you don't need any data connection (I do this for quick short trips). Entire Houston metro is only 300 mb for Google Maps. The streaming services obviously need an active internet source. Netflix did not appear in Google Play store, so you have to download the APK off a third party site and manually install it (the radio is obviously rooted). For Netflix, only the pause/play and forward/reverse 10 secs works--you cannot manually drag to a desired spot in the entire video--kind of annoying, but I don't plan on using Netflix much. The AT&T Uverse app, YouTube, and Amazon Music apps work perfectly. For those that have non-streaming music, you can load those files onto the device or play off USB stick--for those the forward/reverse features off the steering wheel works. For Amazon music, they do not--volume works though for all apps. HVAC controls all work too--only caveat is the heated/cooled seats don't show the level (1-3) so you have to count how many times you touched the button--not a big deal. The rest of the AC controls all work and are very intuitive. The response of the device is extremely instant and there are no delays for me whatsoever. This thing looks, feels, and acts like a factory system with very few minor quirks that most people won't care about. As was noted on the Gen 2 thread (which is FULL of good info), using Nova launcher makes it even easier and more slick. Sorry for the random stream of thoughts--hope this helps others who are on the fence--I'll report back on the backup camera. Happy to answer questions if needed. // SGP

Gopherboy128

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to get my audio working again- I reapplied the MCU update, and was able to increase the gain under "Install Set" and have it actually save the new settings. Now it sounds great. Only issue I am still having with the PX6 is that my reverse parking sensors do not play through speakers. Music dims, backup camera shows on screen, but I don't get any beeps through speakers or IPC cluster.