Phoenix Android Radio 4th Gen PX6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My unit boots right to the Nova launcher screen and I can almost get away without having to see the SYNC 2 screen at all.

Hope this helps.

G.T.

It's going to be a tremendous help. As you pointed out, Index is useless and the apps listing function on the PX6 is about as bad as it could be. Not only will this make it a lot easier to get to different apps, but making the locked in apps at the top a little less annoying.

I just went through your videos. Like you, my household is Alexa, so having Alexa in the car adds a lot of value, not just for music but in controlling various things in the home. I thought your use of Echo Auto was interesting. Now that you've got the mics on the PX6 working, are you still planning on using the Echo Auto. The issue I see with that is that it's working through SYNC and your phone. It's good if you don't have WiFi in the truck (I have the Spark as well) and because the PX6 doesn't cut that audio off when the cameras are engaged. It's bad though in the sense that your getting bluetooth sound quality, and not leveraging the HD content Amazon recently introduced.

Ideally, I want Alexa to always be on. Second to that, I'd want it on whenever I have the Alexa or Amazon music apps open. I'll be playing around with that soon.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Helped them test out the new canbus boxes over the weekend. There were 3 to choose from and after listening to all 3, there was only 1 that stood out as being significantly better than the others. The other 2 boxes all had signs of having too much gain and causing that distorted crackle sound, even when listening at volume levels between 5-10.

I'm assuming these canbus boxes can't just be added/replaced on existing PX6 units, correct? Are they the metal boxes that are attached to the back of the tablet? If this all tests out and the new canbus become available, I'd imagine you have to buy a new PX6 to get it. Or am I completely wrong about this.

Raptor18Actual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming these canbus boxes can't just be added/replaced on existing PX6 units, correct? Are they the metal boxes that are attached to the back of the tablet? If this all tests out and the new canbus become available, I'd imagine you have to buy a new PX6 to get it. Or am I completely wrong about this.

The "metal box" you're thinking of, that the Sync APIM screws to, is just the hardware to run the screen. The CANBUS box from Phoenix is just the small red plastic box is my understanding.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The "metal box" you're thinking of, that the Sync APIM screws to, is just the hardware to run the screen. The CANBUS box from Phoenix is just the small red plastic box is my understanding.

If that's the case, then I'll be request the new update ASAP.

Very good day for this thread, may have solved 2 of my biggest issues.

amp

Reaction score
Yes, the canbus box the small red translucent plastic box, and you shouldn't have to reset the system after changing it out. I'm not sure how they plan to roll out the new boxes to folks, but it's worth a phone call to them to figure out how to get one.

Also there was a software update that allowed you to long press the top menu icons and drag them around to put them in a different order. I would ask them about that too.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the canbus box the small red translucent plastic box, and you shouldn't have to reset the system after changing it out. I'm not sure how they plan to roll out the new boxes to folks, but it's worth a phone call to them to figure out how to get one.

Also there was a software update that allowed you to long press the top menu icons and drag them around to put them in a different order. I would ask them about that too.

I'll contact them about the canbus for sure. I really don't want to apply updates unless it's known to fix a specific problem I need fixed. There's been plenty in this thread who have applied patches and ended up worse off then when they started.

Gtibbot

Reaction score
It's going to be a tremendous help. As you pointed out, Index is useless and the apps listing function on the PX6 is about as bad as it could be. Not only will this make it a lot easier to get to different apps, but making the locked in apps at the top a little less annoying.

I just went through your videos. Like you, my household is Alexa, so having Alexa in the car adds a lot of value, not just for music but in controlling various things in the home. I thought your use of Echo Auto was interesting. Now that you've got the mics on the PX6 working, are you still planning on using the Echo Auto. The issue I see with that is that it's working through SYNC and your phone. It's good if you don't have WiFi in the truck (I have the Spark as well) and because the PX6 doesn't cut that audio off when the cameras are engaged. It's bad though in the sense that your getting bluetooth sound quality, and not leveraging the HD content Amazon recently introduced.

Ideally, I want Alexa to always be on. Second to that, I'd want it on whenever I have the Alexa or Amazon music apps open. I'll be playing around with that soon.

At this point the Echo Auto is going to be used as a backup with the Sync unit. I found a second Amazon widget that I prefer:

Screenshot_20191009-161243.png

Screenshot_20191009-161218.png

This widget has track control (yes, works with the steering wheel controls), and has the Alexa button for quick access. When the Alexa button is pressed, you get the familiar Alexa sound and a screen that prompts you to say something.

So for it has worked flawless when requesting a song title or artist. I have several home automation devices that I control with Alexa, switches, plugs, garage door, etc. and they also work.

Keep in mind that Nova is a full fledged launcher, it will start up immediately, but the widgets take about 30 seconds to load.

My only problem so far, at times you will get no sound from the PX6 amp without going to the SNYC amp 1st. I might load Tasker with Autoinput so that a startup, it simulates pressing the "Console" icon and then the "Home" icon.

G.T.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At this point the Echo Auto is going to be used as a backup with the Sync unit. I found a second Amazon widget that I prefer:

This widget has track control (yes, works with the steering wheel controls), and has the Alexa button for quick access. When the Alexa button is pressed, you get the familiar Alexa sound and a screen that prompts you to say something.

Will definitely be using that widget. Probably won't find a way for Alexa to be listening without having to press the Alexa button, but worth looking into. I considered, using an actual echo, or echo input in the car for this, but I don't think it will work the way I want it to. Alexa groups could help, but I doubt it will allow an echo to dock the tablets audio or auto playback on the tablet.

So for it has worked flawless when requesting a song title or artist. I have several home automation devices that I control with Alexa, switches, plugs, garage door, etc. and they also work.

Keep in mind that Nova is a full fledged launcher, it will start up immediately, but the widgets take about 30 seconds to load.

That's close to how long it takes the Amazon app to load.

My only problem so far, at times you will get no sound from the PX6 amp without going to the SNYC amp 1st. I might load Tasker with Autoinput so that a startup, it simulates pressing the "Console" icon and then the "Home" icon.

G.T.

Yes, I get that too. And going to Sync temporarily triggers that. I find that I don't get the issue if I stay out of console entirely though.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that Nova Launcher makes a huge improvement on the usefulness of the tablet. Night and day. There is no reason not to install it. It allows you to setup the screen pretty much the way you would on your phone, with bigger fonts. Now if I could just remove the top bar entirely...

Removing the TXZ Speech to Text app was just about as helpful, opening up voice commands for Google and Alexa.

Big thanks to @Gtibbot.